Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #15

Yes! Thanks everyone for all the help! The antenna is hooked up to the switch box and not to an outlet like the manual shows.

I get no stations at all, but I am assuming that even tho the TV's are are digital, the junky VCR probably does not have a digital receiver in it so it's not passing on a valid signal. I will have to track down a newer vcr/dvd player or find a converter box somewhere.

It is sort of frustrating picking up this stuff. You wouldn't think its so hard to document what you build? It's the little things like this antenna power switch, or where the heck is my "standard" inverter? why is there no heat pump when the manual says it comes standard?

Oh well, at least places like irv2 are around to help me figure it out. Thanks!
dropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good point about the non digitally compatible VCR. Ours has a modern DVD player and LCD TV's
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #17

oh yes - in preparation for a trip next week we ran into this question:

Should the garage vents be open when you travel?

There are stickers that say open the vents when traveling. Why would you do that?

Also they sell beds that go in the garage, but there is a sticker on the door warning not to sleep back there?

I would assume if you opened the vents and ran the generator you would be huffing exhaust and carbon monoxide all evening. I thought those vents should only be opened if I ever put a motorized engine in the back and ran it. That way you could help vent the exhaust.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropframe View Post
oh yes - in preparation for a trip next week we ran into this question:

Should the garage vents be open when you travel?

There are stickers that say open the vents when traveling. Why would you do that?

Also they sell beds that go in the garage, but there is a sticker on the door warning not to sleep back there?

I would assume if you opened the vents and ran the generator you would be huffing exhaust and carbon monoxide all evening. I thought those vents should only be opened if I ever put a motorized engine in the back and ran it. That way you could help vent the exhaust.

Any thoughts?
Opening the side vents (on mine there is one near the top - passenger side wall, and lower rear drivers side wall) may be opened during travel, but I would only do that if the door is securely latched closed between the toybox and the front of the bus. The only benefit I've had from using them is to vent an occasional motorcycle related smell immediately after loading the bike.

As for sleeping back there - Outlaw makes a model (or did until the 2010 line discontinued them) 3612 which has a Murphy Bed built into the back. Obviously you can't use it with anything loaded, but the intent is to sleep back there so why would they put a sticker warning against it? I can only imagine that they mean don't sleep back there with machinary.

Mine doesn't have the sticker you're talking about.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for all your tips. Thor really needs someone to write manuals. They could even go back and rewrite and correct old ones.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropframe View Post
I am having 2 issues with my Outlaw - hopefully they will be easy to answer:

... 2. On the drivers side is a porch light. How do I turn it on? I figured out how to turn on the entry side lights, the rear lights, but not the light over by the utilities - any ideas?

Hi, I don't know if you'd had a chance to do much camping, but after several trips, we decided to remove the light from the drivers side porch light. We often want the main (passenger side) porch lights on (sometimes for extended periods), but our neighbors on the drivers side may not appreciate that light shining into their camp area. We just do without it and I wear a head light when I need anything on that side of the rig at night.

Yep, the manuals written are often pretty vague. I guess the challenge is that our standard is the car manual, which is written for a vehicle produced in the tens or hundreds of thousands. But the RV is produces in the hundreds, maybe thousands, with a ton of options. It's difficult for the mfg. to deal with economy of scale and detail.

Cheers,

Mike
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr21r View Post
to remove the light from the drivers side porch light. We often want the main (passenger side) porch lights on (sometimes for extended periods), but our neighbors on the drivers side may not appreciate that light shining into their camp area. "

Yep, the manuals written are often pretty vague. I guess the challenge is that our standard is the car manual, which is written for a vehicle produced in the tens or hundreds of thousands. But the RV is produces in the hundreds, maybe thousands, with a ton of options. It's difficult for the mfg. to deal with economy of scale and detail.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike, almost every Outlaw owner I've run into this last year did exactly that, take out the bulb(s) from the driver's side, and for exactly the reason you quote. I pulled mine when it was in the shop for work last year and had a gantry next to it - which was a heck of a lot easier than a ladder.

Seems to be a pretty common trend & easy to do. A Damon rep suggested wrapping the bulbs in bubblewrap or something simalar and leaving them in the cover after it's reinstalled. You'll always know where they are. . .

I just wish I had thought of it for those first 6 months of ownership when I'm sure I must have been annoying my neighbors!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a neighbor knock on my door telling me that my light was blinding them. I had to walk around to see that it was actually on

I use globe lights or no lights at all so rarely is this one on. I guess I should pull the bulb though
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Charging and other electrical wonderment

Hey folks,
First, an electrical question in my '07 Outlaw...and, might be the same for most late model Outlaws, but maybe they changed it(?).

"Should" the engine driven alternator charge the house batteries? Mine did not until I made a change.

And to me, there are some weird electrical things in an Outlaw. Here's a short list of what else I have found odd in my '07 3611 (W22/8.1L):

DASH SWITCH - WHY? There's a intermittent switch in my dash that allows power to flow from the house batteries -> to the engine battery for a "starting aid." But, it doesn't work in reverse (at least it didn't when I drained my house batteries after leaving the house batteries connected in storage...and the power flow couldn't start the gennie and did not even increase the power in my ceiling lights).

HOUSE BATTERY - There is only a house battery 2pack under the stairs, while there's an unused bin on the passenger side 3/4 the way back...why isn't the main set in a bin on a drawer for easier access/maint, or an optional second set in the back?

PHONE JACKS - [moderator edit]? They are everywhere! 'Nuf said.

12VDC OUTLETS/Access - Only in and under the dash? This is assuming no shorepower or gen running while you sleep...Has anyone wanted to charge their cellphone while they used it as an alarm in bed (assuming no shorepower or gen running while you sleep)? Why aren't there cigar lighters/barrel jacks in the loft, kitchen, dinette, and garage (a short list)? I got a sweet AC/DC TV on-line and can only use it in the 12VDC mode in the garage with the toy charging port.

Then there's the lights...starting with the patio light on the drivers side with no separate switch (huh?
DOME LIGHT - Why no real map reading lights? The Dome light in my Coach is a CRAZY-BRIGHT 12VDC light above the windshield, just like the ones in the rest of the Coach...really?!!

DRIVING LIGHTS - Why no "flood" lights offered - even as an option? It's a personal thing, but I love the OEM driving lights on my pick-up truck and even my little Hybrid Escape. They fill-in all the dim spots infront and on the sides of the coach.

That's all I have to say about that
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought the alternator did charge the batteries but I'm not positive about that.

I imagine the reasoning behind the emergency start switch only being one way is to protect the chassis batteries from being drained by accident just like the generator will not run with less that a 1/4 tank of fuel which would leave you stranded.

Having only two house batteries and their not being on a slide is a cost driven thing. I'd imagine the lack of 12vdc ports falls under that as well. A lot of owners add their own as well as increasing the house battery bank and adding solar panels.

Phone jacks. I'm guessing their designers are a bunch of old guys that think cell phones are just a fad.

Until I learned how to adjust my head lights I was with you on the AUX lighting thing. Now it's not as much of a concern.

Reading lights. Another cost savings on their end as the higher end coaches have them.

I attend a number of RV shows and now I wonder where my ceiling fan and fireplace went?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I thought the alternator did charge the batteries but I'm not positive about that.

I imagine the reasoning behind the emergency start switch only being one way is to protect the chassis batteries from being drained by accident just like the generator will not run with less that a 1/4 tank of fuel which would leave you stranded.

Having only two house batteries and their not being on a slide is a cost driven thing. I'd imagine the lack of 12vdc ports falls under that as well. A lot of owners add their own as well as increasing the house battery bank and adding solar panels.

Phone jacks. I'm guessing their designers are a bunch of old guys that think cell phones are just a fad.

Until I learned how to adjust my head lights I was with you on the AUX lighting thing. Now it's not as much of a concern.

Reading lights. Another cost savings on their end as the higher end coaches have them.

I attend a number of RV shows and now I wonder where my ceiling fan and fireplace went?
Ceiling Fan and Fireplace...hmmmm I LIKE THOSE IDEAS TOO...now where to fit the fireplace?

But really, all my comments are a TO-DO list. I am sure you are right that cost savings are the bottom line in a very tight business. Nothing that can't be fixed...and maybe a little fun to do. I was even thinking of making the phone jacks usable with some kind of intercom system...just think:
"Shuttle Bay, this is the Bridge." "Go ahead Bridge." "Shuttle Bay, has the shuttle docked" "Affirmative, all hands accounted for." I am such a geek sometimes

But to confirm, are these oddities common in the Outlaw or do I have the an odd ball rig?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
What you describe in yours seems identical to what I have in my 08'

Hey Dan... How about a ceiling fan?

Someone turn this crazy thing off!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #27

Dropframe - you have the two premier Outlaw Go-To guys on this thread. DGShaffer and BpK9Miami are wizards for finding stuff, fixing stuff, and modifying stuff. Pay attention Grasshopper and you will learn much!
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicap View Post
Dropframe - you have the two premier Outlaw Go-To guys on this thread. DGShaffer and BpK9Miami are wizards for finding stuff, fixing stuff, and modifying stuff. Pay attention Grasshopper and you will learn much!
yeah well - I try to let their experiences with their fancy 2008 models teach me a thing or two. Of course it's so hard to relate to their fancy scorpian edition models

J/K - they are all awesome. No better place to learn about the outlaw on the net.