RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post

Hey Dan... How about a ceiling fan?

Someone turn this crazy thing off!!!!!!!!!!!
Search the threads for a post by ctpres on 4/12/2012 I think it was on the "mods to rv's" thread...you'll have your answer.

Sadly, it may be a little tight in the loft.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cut the Drag - Rear Spoiler(?)

What do you all think about adding a rear spoiler to cut the "suction" at the rear of a coach?

Not the silly whale tail spoiler's on "fast and furious" cars...
I am thinking of the ones that look like flaps on an airplane wing.
(maybe, picture a part of a tube mounted to scoop air over the top and down behind the rearend).

I recall seeing windtunnel tests on a big rig that showed there was SO MUCH suction behind the flat back of the trailer that it really explained the reason so many people "draft" behind big rig's on the freeway. The video also showed that by adding a "spoiler" to the top (and sides) rear suction can be reduced by a large margin.

I had one on my van when I was a younger man. And I know it really cut the amount of road dirt that collected on the back.

I think it's a real thing on our "girls" with their tall back sides and if I can cut the drag caused by suction, then it should help the MPG.

Opinions?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Their has to be some validity to it. More end more I'm seeing these three piece wing like contraptions mounted on the backs of trucks and they can't be cheap. They must be a PITA to open up because most of them ore still flat to the back rather than sticking out.

What your talking about isn't a wing but more of a scoop or diverter right?
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Their has to be some validity to it. More end more I'm seeing these three piece wing like contraptions mounted on the backs of trucks and they can't be cheap. They must be a PITA to open up because most of them ore still flat to the back rather than sticking out.

What your talking about isn't a wing but more of a scoop or diverter right?
Yep, I think that's a good name for it. It's not a wing. Wings are intended to create downforce.

I think of a scoop being a smaller thing like a hood scoop...maybe diverter is best.

Thanks
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #33

If you are ever in the vicinity of a Big Truck Show (Louisville, KY has the Mid-America truck show every spring) you can see vendors for various fuel saving devices. There are air foils that redirect eddies behind the rigs, and the side panels I'm seeing more and more of on the semi trailers. I think the one mentioned below (three piece wing like contraptions) is one I saw that can be triggered from the cab when certain wind criteria is hit...I mentioned to the vendor that a "little old lady" traveling behind the trailer would have a heart attack if she suddenly saw the three wings being deployed...the next throught would be that Bruce Willis would come flying out the back of the trailer on a motorcycle "hellbent for leather" off to save the world! I saw quite a few of them (can't remember the trucking company who is using them) when traveling from Fl to CA last week.
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicap View Post
If you are ever in the vicinity of a Big Truck Show (Louisville, KY has the Mid-America truck show every spring) you can see vendors for various fuel saving devices...more and more of on the semi trailers. I think the one mentioned below (three piece wing like contraptions) is one I saw that can be triggered from the cab when certain wind criteria is hit...
The three piece wing like contraption sounds cool!! Even if it didn't do much for MPG.

If it would fit an 18wheeler trailler, it should fit an RV. I'm gonna search the net for that...thanks.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Contraptions blow options away! Anyone can add an option, it takes a real Outlaw owner to sport a contraption!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Front Grill Guard

I saw one on a Class "A" this past weekend...so I'm not the only one...

I am thinking about adding a "prerunner"style bumper guard to my Outlaw for 3 reasons: bumper protection, mount for aux lights, and front receiver hitch.

The first idea hit me the first time I crawled under the front end at the pre-purchase check. It seemed to me that there's not much more than some shiney fiberglass and a single crossbar between the radiators and the world flying at you as you drive.

The receiver should be helpful for things like a removable step, carry rack or bike rack, removable winch, etc.

Has anyone seen one on a RV or thought about adding one to their RV?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've seen receiver hitches on the front and with the front to rear loading imbalance on my outlaw, that would be a good way to carry heavy gear rather than overloading the rear axle.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
I've been looking at that front receiver issue for the past year or so. No luck with the major manufactors or any of the normal places we could order one. I did talk to several custom hitch places and all of them can do something, it's just all time and money (ain't that a surprise?). With the different frames involved, I doubt we'll find one off the shelf somewhere.

The quotes run from the $400 - $600 range. I plan to use mine to transport the Seqway mount (assuming I ever talk to it again), and a place for my hitch step when needed. Anything to use the space.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
I plan to use mine to transport the Seqway
I say strap it on and head for the closest wall. That'll learn it not to mess with SF!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #40

another newb question:

My manual says I can use gas and electric to heat my water. It says in the bathroom is an electric switch for the water tank. I don't think I have an electric switch for my water tank - is there someway I can find out?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #41
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dual Power Water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropframe View Post
another newb question:

My manual says I can use gas and electric to heat my water. It says in the bathroom is an electric switch for the water tank. I don't think I have an electric switch for my water tank - is there someway I can find out?
Drop,

Our Owners manuals have many similar (and incorrect) instructions. The manuals are generic for many models.

Our Outlaw water heater is not set-up for dual power (AC & LP). Of course yours might be 'cuz that is an option in many RV appliances...like there are RV Fridge's that are 12VDC, but those are options and are more expensive than AC/LP, and so they are rare in most RV's.

To check to see if you have an AC coil in your water heater, first I would look at the breaker panel (inside) for a breaker labeled for the WH (not mandatory). I would than look at the exterior of the WH for a heavy two wire cord that connects to a plug type fitting (for an in-tank coil heater)...then there should be a control for switching between LP and AC somewhere in the coach. If you have the single ON/OFF WH switch on the main panel - That's your hint that you don't have the optional Dual Power WH.

BTW, if you search on this forum for "Hot Stick" and similar aftemarket AC waterheater elements, you will see that there's a lot of differing opinions about using one of those

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same here, no electric option. It would be a nice one to have though.