Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #1

I have a 2008 Challenger with remote control Air/Furnace thermostats. When trying to run the furnace I have to turn on timer in order for furnace to operate. Is this correct, or am I missing something?
The owners manual doesn't state what the timer is for. Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck P.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #2

I have a 2008 Challenger with remote control Air/Furnace thermostats. When trying to run the furnace I have to turn on timer in order for furnace to operate. Is this correct, or am I missing something?
The owners manual doesn't state what the timer is for. Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck P.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Hi Chuck, We are also learning to operate the heating/cooling systems in the Essence we just bought. I figured out that the a/c can be set up to run by the time and then turn off. For instance, cool for an hour or so after bed then turn off.
The furnace may be the same way, but that seems sort of strange. The heat from the overhead can be set to go off with the timer so with both those functions on the remote as well as the furnace, it follows that the timer should work with the timer as well. But somehow it don't seem right to have to turn the timer on to make the furnace work.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

You don't have to use the timer for the furnace but you can. Most people find the ceiling thermostat a joke. I installed a wall thermostat for the furnace.

Sam
Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Chuck,
My 2008 371 Furnace comes on without using the timer.
I turn on overhead unit w remote, switch to heating, set temp and furnace comes on.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #6

My wife and I just purchased a 2004 LX400 Escaper. I'm glad I joined the forum, it also helped me decode the mystery of the gas furnace. No matter what I did it would not come on untill I also used the timer function on my Carrier unit remote. This dose'nt make a lot of sense to me but seems to be the key. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
ub40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #7

Mine works by just turning on the unit with the remote and adjusting the temperture on the high side to get furnace to kick-in. Once it is running we adjust the temperture to our comfort level.

2008 Damon Challenger 377 Platinum Ed.
Bill & Luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, you should just have to turn the remote to heat and set the temp one degree warmer than current temp. No timer should be needed.
I switched mine to a wall thermostat also. Works much better than having it on the ceiling. Also, my remotes lowest setting was 63 degrees. Now I can turn it down to 45 degrees

Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
In my 06 Daybreak the remote works fine and it goes down to 45 degrees for the heat.

Have you all tried to reset the remote to see if that works?
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #10

I just hit the ON button and set the temp. I do have to take the remote from the holder and point it at the ceiling unit when I turn it on. You should hear a beep.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shellback1:
In my 06 Daybreak the remote works fine and it goes down to 45 degrees for the heat.

Have you all tried to reset the remote to see if that works? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carrier sent me 2 new remotes that go down to 45 degrees and the part to install in the ceiling unit, absolutely free, including shipping them to me. That was awesome of them.
I guess they realized that 63 degrees was just too warm and they made a mistake.
However, they still did'nt work below 63.
They told me I'd have to take it to a Carrier center. I just decided that a wall mounted thermostat was better and I could see what the current temperature was and I often put it at 50 degrees at night. Brrr, it cold when you crawl out of bed tho.
My AC and the heat still work with the remote also, but 63 is the lowest setting.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #12

Thanks for your help. Sure is good to have a place to turn to for advice.
ub40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #13

When we first bought our RV, we were doing what you are describing.
Now if the unit does not come on quickly enough to suit me, I turn the fans on high and the unit will start. Later I turn the fans back to auto.
Most of the time, I do not have to use the fan trick. Never have figured out the timer thing or what it is for.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you have the same system I have

on my Intruder ONLY THE FRONT A/C controls the furnace. You do not need to use the timer

In fact I have never used the timer but I'd guess it for when you want either heat, or cool, only for so long (IE: when I'm parked at home in the winter I normally use the coach from 5 to 6:30 PM so I use an electric heater with a 24 hr timer)

Also.... On the A/C's panel (Where you have the two lights, a couple of buttons and a little yellow (I think) nub) that nub is the temp sensor... If you find your furnace tends to "Run away" and push the coach up to 90 degrees. Mount a small clip on fan somewhere where it can blow on that nub and it will settle down.. -OR- if your A/C is ducted, turn the rear A/C on Low-fan and close all the vents in the back half of the house Works great

I'm adding a wall T-Stat when I get the money