Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2008 Damon Challenger 355 Motor Home Opinions Please

Looking at a 2008 Damon Challenger 355 Motor Home Class A. It has 3 slides, a Ford chassis and the dealer wants $50,000 for it.

Does anybody have any opinions on this? Good, bad or ugly?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
Looking at a 2008 Damon Challenger 355 Motor Home Class A. It has 3 slides, a Ford chassis and the dealer wants $50,000 for it.

Does anybody have any opinions on this? Good, bad or ugly?
My opinion is that this can be a very nice mid-level coach. Of course, the condition will drive the cost, but $50K is about average and may have room for making a deal.

Damon used very good quality vendors in the Challenger series and the systems (appliances, tanks, plumbing, leveling jacks, etc.) are all very similar or duplicates to the Outlaw and we love our Outlaws:
See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

The Ford Chassis is a good platform and is easy to service with most all Ford Truck Centers having the techs needed for your service calls. Yes - It is not a Diesel Pusher and the price reflects that fact, but these are still very nice RV's

Personally, I like the Challenger 378 because is has a cool/rare kitchen island, but I think they made more 355's so the price should be better than the 378.

Best of luck and safe travels!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

I would say that is a good price. 50k for a 2008 Chellenger - go over it real good if you do not see anything wrong...I would offer 48k and hope they take it. If not 50k is still a real good price on this unit.

Remember - 50k really does not buy much when it comes to motorized RV's.

Again - I would jump on it. NADA trade-in is probably more than 50k. 12 months ago NADA had the trade-un at 65k.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would look up the book value and see if they are in line. They have some wiggle room and I'll bet you can get 2-5k off. I have a 2003 Damon Challenger 348. I've had it since new and have just over 53k miles on it. I've done some renovations like replacing the cloth furniture with ultra leather, just redid my countertops and moved my tv from the cockpit to mid coach. Getting ready to get rid of the carpet. Have added several other items such as a banks system, blue ox tru center steering control, rear tiger track to name a few. Love my coach though. Getting ready for a Yellowstone trip this summer. Good luck with your decision.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

on dBook value only tells half the story. It all depends on what the market is like in your area. I know of come models that book much higher than what they ever sell for around here, and others than sell for well over book. Generally, $50k is a steal for an 08 w/3 slides. In fact, the local Thor dealer has an 07 Challenger w/3 slides that they have priced at $70k. About 6hrs away, where there are several more dealers, there's an 07 w/2 slides that's nothing special, and their asking is $50k. That same dealer has a basic 08 Chally w/2 slides and I believe a workhorse V8 (which is a minus for resale value), and they want $65k for.

Heck, I have an 01 Intruder, and I was offered $40k cash in Sept, but passed, because there was nothing in that price range nice enough to replace it with...locally that is. My servicing dealer said that should I want to sell mine in the summer, I wouldn't have a problem getting $40k for a unit as clean and well optioned as mine.

So yes, if this is in your budget, and you like it, buy it! Heck, if you get it cheap enough, I'll buy it off you for... You could make some cash haha. We were going to buy a 36ft 07 Challenger w/3 slides last spring, but couldn't justify the $75k price with taxes all in.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Actually, I was asking for opinions for some friends of mine. They signed the papers two days ago and will pick it up in Quartzsite early next week.

They are very excited as they are fulltimers living in a 30' BT Cruiser with two large dogs. They were following this thread and and were encouraged by the responses. I'll see if I can get them to give an update after they've had it for a while.

Thanks bunches.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

In 2009 we bought a 2008 378 Challenger with 12,000 miles on a Work Horse chassis and payed $72,500 and the 1st. owner put in $10,000 in upgrades he had receipts for upgrades. I think they are in the ball park. Make sure that the break upgrade was done and check to make sure to change filter on the transmission if its a Allison.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote