Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2008 Damon Challenger or is it?

On 10-2011 I bought a what I thought was 2008 Damon Challenger 376. When I registered the vin# on the Workhorse web site it came back as a Model year 2007 with a warranty start date of 1-2008. Think I have a 2008 model with a 2007 production date or maybe it is a 2007 model. There is a considerable price different between 2008 and 2007. How would one go about checking this out.

Thanks, Craig
ElCajonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My chassis was also built the year before my motor home. The resale value is based on the production date of the RV as it was documented with the DMV.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Production date stamped in the cab shows 7-2007, CA DMV states its a 2008 but doesn't have a year 1st sold. I believe it came from Florida. Think I should check with the DMV?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have a real issue if you let them put the chassis year on the title, changing that may be difficult. My 2008 Outlaw is on a 2007 chassis but I had to point that out to DMV or I would own a 2007 Outlaw.

Hopefully your title reflects the year the MH was produced and not the chassis
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
You have a real issue if you let them put the chassis year on the title, changing that may be difficult. My 2008 Outlaw is on a 2007 chassis but I had to point that out to DMV or I would own a 2007 Outlaw.

Hopefully your title reflects the year the MH was produced and not the chassis
Exactly! Don't let the DMV place an older date on the title. Not like they ever make a mistake. It can be corrected later but will be flagged by varfax when you try to resell it later.

DMV made a mistake on one of my titles placing the wrong milage. Had it corrected but latter was flags as a possible issue when i sold it. Could not get carfax to remove it even though i had a paper trail.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was afraid I bought a 2007 as a 2008. Thor confirmed it is a 2008 and the title states it's a 2008. thanks for all the great feed back.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 2009 on a 2007 chasis

The DMV number is taken from the chassis vin, not the manufacturer of the motorhome. My 2009 Challenger 376 was built on a 2007 Ford chassis. The year number part of the vin number shows the year the chassis was built, not the year the motorhome was built. The warranty begins the day the coach is titled, not the year the chassis or the motorhome were built. Unfortunately the motorhome companies do not disclose when the chassis was built and you usually find out when you go to insure the vehicle. I wish I knew all of this before I decided to purchase. I found out before I made final pickup and final payment, but already fell in love with the coach and just accepted it. Is that deceptive practice by the dealers....you bet, but there are no laws to stop it. Maybe they should be forced to put the chassis year on the vehicle sticker, it might make things better.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabob View Post
The DMV number is taken from the chassis vin, not the manufacturer of the motorhome. My 2009 Challenger 376 was built on a 2007 Ford chassis. The year number part of the vin number shows the year the chassis was built, not the year the motorhome was built. The warranty begins the day the coach is titled, not the year the chassis or the motorhome were built. Unfortunately the motorhome companies do not disclose when the chassis was built and you usually find out when you go to insure the vehicle. I wish I knew all of this before I decided to purchase. I found out before I made final pickup and final payment, but already fell in love with the coach and just accepted it. Is that deceptive practice by the dealers....you bet, but there are no laws to stop it. Maybe they should be forced to put the chassis year on the vehicle sticker, it might make things better.
I have a 2010 on a 2009 chassis. It is titled and DMV registered it as a 2010. My be the differnce in DMVs. I live in VA and normaly they have the tightest sphincter I know. Have you tried to have the title modified? Not sure if it is possible aftermit is registered. I argued with my DMV and they agreed to title it based on the year of manufature.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
The year titled

The year the manufacturer titles the vehicle is the year the DMV stamps as the official year. However they cannot change the vin number and anyone can easily determine the year of the chassis from the vin number. My 2009 Damon is an official 2009. The title states that. But all you have to do is read the vin number and you will see the chassis is a 2007. I learned the hard way, but regardless whatever the DMV, the manufacturer or the title states, I will always look up the vin number to get the chassis year of manufacture.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote