RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
A/C Mode - Cool VS Dry

Are we the only ones that have noticed that using the Dry mode on our Roof top A/C units keeps the coach cooler than using just the Cool mode? We started using the Dry mode to keep the humidity level down in the coach but are using it all the time now to keep the coach cooler.

And it's not just a feeling thing either with the humidity level. It actually measures cooler by at least 2 degrees....
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #2

Air conditioning was discovered by accident, the inventor was building a de-humidifier. Cold air output was a side-effect from the evaporator coil. It is possible to have too-large an air conditioner, which results in cold, clammy air inside. I suspect "dry" mode causes your A/C compressor to run more.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i run my aft unit in the low fan mode with the temp set at 77, it cycles the a/c compressor on as needed and keeps us fairly cooool
havent tried the dry mode, might have to look at it
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i run my aft unit in the low fan mode with the temp set at 77, it cycles the a/c compressor on as needed and keeps us fairly cooool
havent tried the dry mode, might have to look at it

Haven't tried Dry mode yet,but waiting for report from Powerboatr,by the way I went down in 2 and out in3 at Palo Duro Canyon.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
by the way I went down in 2 and out in3 at Palo Duro Canyon.

much grass
Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

What AC do you guys have? I don't see Dry mode on my Dometic.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
What AC do you guys have? I don't see Dry mode on my Dometic.
mine is a carrier air V
i am not impressed with them....
but i think its more on the installation than the unit.

on the hot days out in the sun both of them run and run plus i use a fan in the kitchen to help move the air

we really should have three vice two.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
The dry mode on the Carrier V does a very good job of taking the humidity out of the coach, especially when you have water vapor in the coach such as taking a shower, doing dishes, etc.

We found the Dry mode by accident and I read about it (other posts on this site) and we run it most of the time now. It does a better job of keeping the 'large brown object' cooler on the inside.

As for three units VS two, I think we are fine with the two and have been in some rough 100 degree days in FL in the summer. What is the tough part is keeping the heat out of the coach from that large picture window that is the front of the coach. Catch 22 with it. If you can keep most of the heat from it out two units are just fine.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wife made a bid window screen last year from the foil insulation stuff from lowes and she attached a fabric of deer on one side and tropical fish on the other, it helps a BIG deal with reducing that heat
but it limits your frontal view when parked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer screens01.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	4545  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #10

my carrier manual says that dry allows the compressor to be more effiencient, and if so then why wouldn't we just have dry rather than a cool section? I too use a frontal sunblock, but when driving west in the heat of the summer, it reached upper 80s in my coach (with 2 fans running on the driver to help him out). The front carrier kicked a breaker, so we cut it off and ran the rear to pull it down to mid 80s inside.

Will try dry on the next run.
Leonsrocketcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #11

I have yet to figure out what the DRY mode does other than keep the fan running all the time rather than cycling with the compressor. If that's all it does, then it doing exactly the opposite. When the compressor shuts down, it blows damp air into the coach as the coils are wet and the now warm air passing over them brings the water back into the coach. If drying of the coach is what you want then the lowest fan speed for the longest compressor run cycles and then shutting the fan off with the compressor will accomplish that. For the low profile units with seperate condensor fans, starting the compressor first and then the evap fan once the coil is cold would help too but will not work on the regular units with single fan motors.

I could not tell what else the unit was attempting to do if anything in that mode and its not well documented by Carrier. Anyway, in the two days I ran DRY mode, it seemd better suited for DRY CLIMATES where you want the humidity back in the coach. IE did not keep the coach dry at all.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I have yet to figure out what the DRY mode does other than keep the fan running all the time rather than cycling with the compressor. If that's all it does, then it doing exactly the opposite. When the compressor shuts down, it blows damp air into the coach as the coils are wet and the now warm air passing over them brings the water back into the coach. If drying of the coach is what you want then the lowest fan speed for the longest compressor run cycles and then shutting the fan off with the compressor will accomplish that. For the low profile units with seperate condensor fans, starting the compressor first and then the evap fan once the coil is cold would help too but will not work on the regular units with single fan motors.

I could not tell what else the unit was attempting to do if anything in that mode and its not well documented by Carrier. Anyway, in the two days I ran DRY mode, it seemd better suited for DRY CLIMATES where you want the humidity back in the coach. IE did not keep the coach dry at all.

The mode is for the exact opposite of what you describe. We have very high humidity in Florida and dry keeps the coach much dryer in side than on just cool. And the amount of water that the compressors pull off the coach is much greater on dry than on cool. According to the manual dry uses the compressor much more efficiently.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodieboys View Post
The mode is for the exact opposite of what you describe. We have very high humidity in Florida and dry keeps the coach much dryer in side than on just cool. And the amount of water that the compressors pull off the coach is much greater on dry than on cool. According to the manual dry uses the compressor much more efficiently.
Yes, I have heard this discription before but noone has been able to say what the unit is DOING differently in dry mode to be more efficient or to remove more water from the air. We run the Dry mode and can FEEL the swampy air coming into the coach every time it shuts down the compressor. The interior humidity is MUCH higher in DRY mode. I contacted Carrier at the 800 number in the manual and got nearly the same discription you gave but they could not tell me what the unit DOES in that mode to supposedly remove more moisture. I can tell you that in our limited experience of 95dg and about 60%RH, it seems to cycle the compressor more often and keep the fan running full time and blows wet air into the coach. The wife had no idea I was trying the DRY mode and asked why the coach was swampy feeling. In our use DRY mode did not help dry the coach. Perhaps if we had some understanding of what the modes DOES we could better apply it in certian climates. Perhaps it works in cool and clamy climates to dehumidfy somehow, but without a reheat strip, have no idea how it could do that.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
We ran our front Carrier for several days this past week. A couple or three of them were in the 'dry' mode. I really could not tell any difference in dry and cool, except to say the dray caused the fan to run at a continuous speed that could not be changed with the 'fan speed' button on the remote. Both dry and cool had water dripping off the roof and both cooled the interior of the coach well.
I have to suspect the only difference is the speed of and the way the fan is controlled.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote