Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After market Washer and Dryer

The Tuscany 4072 we purchased does not have a washer or Dryer.
I have Three questions:
1) Will after market washer and dryers fit through the door?
2) Which make and model do you like best and why?
3) Is there an issue with condensation I should be concerned with?
Slothsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

My opinion is; first if you have the space separate units(stackable)are best. Some MH models require the washer and dryer to be moved in by removing the windshield or a slide, if the door is not wide enough. I forget the brand names, but at least one is made for RV installations.
If you only have room for a combination washer/dryer = Splendide I would never recommend buying the condensing model. I bought the external vent model, as I believe most do.Inside moisture is not a problem with an external vented model dryer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I have an 08 Tuscany 4076. Splendide outside vented combo unit is great.
You will wash smaller loads every day or two, but it's easy as can be
since it washes and then drys automatically.
I had to remove the screen door and the grab handle on the inside
of the door frame, and the Splendide door. Pretty simple. You'll want
to measure your washer/dryer and your coach openings, but I'm
positive it will fit into the coach. When you drill your dryer vent hole, get it
aligned as close as possible to the position of the unit's vent, makes for
easier install. You absolutely do no want to vent into the coach.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, Camping world has the Splendide 2100XC Washer Dryer Vented Combo on sale for 899.99 and from what I can tell that seems to be a reasonable price for that unit. Since i haven't picked up the RV yet I can not go outside and measure the door opening. But it seems like the opening should be large enough to get it through the door. When I went through the coach I thought there was already a vent hose in the Washer/Dryer compartment. Anyway, it's difficult to make the decission to purchase the combo from 6,000 miles away with out being able to verify all the facts before i pick up the coach in May (I wanted to suprise the little lady when we go to pick it up). Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Wonder if the dealer would email you an exact entry door opening measurement, and confirm how one is moved inside? You can always tell the dealer you are planning for a future installation.(true)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Do a search on this forum for splendid. There was a couple who took theirs out and it's sitting in their garage they were looking to sell it
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
let me say its TIGHT

the layout on ours requires the bathroom door to be pulled
the passenger seat to be removed, which is easy
and the interior door handle safety thing to be removed, the screen door
and last but not least the main door to have its interior panel opened up to allow the door restraint to be temp. unhitched so the door will open flat.

we looked at having one added after our purchase, a real nice technician
took me through a tuscany having the very same thing done next to us while we were getting some warranty items repaired

WOW, looked hard but these guys had it handled

we opted not to after we realized how much closet space we would give up
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
powerboater, Closet space vs convenience is my biggest deliema. Since I haven't moved in yet it is hard to tell what i will want more. I should probably wait for a month or so after we pick up the RV to make the decision on the washer/ dryer.

For the rest:

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
to gain some inside storage
i lowered the floor of the compartment under the bed, it was only 8 or so inches deep so i lowered to another 6, which left it off the coach floor and did not impeded the rollers or wiring

there are quite a few hidden areas to add some usable space,
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Dave, We have a Damon Astoria and had our Splendid vented installed at Camping World in 2008. I decided to have them install it because they have stronger backs than I do. The installation was easy and took about one hour including cutting the vent hole and installing the vent. We have used the washer dryer nearly daily when attached to power and water. We find that it washes nicely but takes a long time to dry. If the camp site allow, we'll hang out to dry and that is often faster!

I'm happy with the unit but have heard the stackables work faster. Next time we'll try the stackable. Being able to wash and dry at the same time seem more efficient.

It is nice not going to the campground laundry, mostly when it'r raining!
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their inputs...I decided to get the 2100XC and have it installed for a very small fee at Lazy Days . It should be in the coach when we pick it up.