Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Air Horn help

This is a continuation of my repairs of a 2007 Tuscany that suffered a front hit...I have most all of the repairs complete, just tying up some loose ends.

The roof mounted Hadley air horns don't do much. One horn sort of makes a weak noise, the other is silent. The solenoid is working, I have plenty of air.
I can hear one of the 1/4" polyflo lines leaking just above the A pillar, interestingly, that's the line that supplies the horn that sort of works. Also, that semi working horn has quite a bit of air blowing out of the rear cap. The silent horn has no outward indication of air leaks, no sounds at all, and yes, I verified that it is getting air.

So, after that long winded background description, here's my question:

How in the world do those rear caps come off? There are no screws visible, and careful prying on the composite(?) cap only produces palm sweat. I know there are diaphragm rebuild kits available, but how to disassemble? Here's a pic of the front and back of the business end of the horn (note that I've removed the actual trumpet cone)
Oh, and there are no model numbers or serial numbers visible, just a very faded manufacture date. (9-20-07)

I appreciate any meaningful advice, hopefully from one of you that have repaired these things before. I much prefer to repair these horns, but if that's not practical, I'll buy new ones and mount them under the hood. These horns actually produce a fair amount of wind noise.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Found a picture online of a similar Haley. But it had 6 screws on the front. One screw on each side about a 1/2 " from the edge and two on top and two on the bottom. Try scraping for a hole on the center one, it might be filled in with something. That part was on ebay.

Hadley Air Horn NEW Old stock Semi & Boat use Maybe Lawnmower Use
Dutchstar411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

OK, striking out on any info or parts to repair my existing horns, I turned to Ebay and found a pair of NOS Hadley air horns for $12 each, that's right, less than $30 shipped to my doorstep!
I removed the stock roof mounted air horns and removed the brackets too. Sealed up the roof with some Dicor (amazing stuff), and mounted the new to me air horns under the hood. The previously roof mounted units created an incredible amount of wind noise, at any speed above 45 mph. All I needed to do to mount the new horns was to weld in a little bracket for one of the horns, other horn I mounted to the bulkhead, right next to the windshield washer tank.
Air horns are out of the weather now, winds noise is greatly diminished and they sound good and loud! I call that a win! Especially for the cost...
Here's a pic.

Oh, and I finally have some time to replace the headliner where the previous owner had a leak. Last year, I had repaired all the structural damage and temporarily tacked up the old headliner. I bought 9 yards of Bone White foam backed vinyl material, it matches the OEM stuff extremely well. The extra material I'll use to recover the dash, it looks like the PO had a cat that left pinpricks all over the front.

Here's a pic of the prep for the new headliner.

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, horn