RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

Airbags- proper pressure, ride stiffness, etc.

On the subject of filling airbags to the proper psi (98 Intruder Chevy), I'm seeming to find more of a range (80-100 psi) rather than a specific answer. I understand it changes when towing, load size etc., but really I'm just looking for a good solid feel. Right now, while standing still, if someone gets up and walks around there's an awful lot of 'rocking the boat' going on.

So being new to airbags, I'm just wanting to bounce my thoughts off of more experienced persons.. would there be anything wrong with filling them all to 100 psi, or is there some sort of guideline ratio (60 rear/40 front for example)? Also in doing so, would i just use a standard pump compressor, the same as used to fill a tire?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Apollo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

The installation instructions should have an inflation table for different loads. The moving around you describe might be solved with the installation of appropriate new shocks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I ran 75 psi in my front air bags. I got that bouncing effect while going down some roads. I decided to move up to 90 psi, and that really eliminated the effect. You are in the right ball park. Everything I read was between 80-90 psi. You will just have to experiment to find the ride you like.

I don't change mine, even if I'm towing my HHR. Never really made any difference to me, at least that I could feel.

I don't even change it for any weight. If I'm empty and just out joy riding, I leave it at 90 psi. Some may say that makes the front too stiff. Maybe so, but I like that better than bouncing.

New shocks can make a big difference also. I'm aware the that bounce can be from worn shocks, after I replace them, I may go down to 75-85 psi. But, for now, I happy with the ride.
I read somewhere not to exceed 100 psi.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #4

I wouldn't really expect most people to know this for my year Intruder, but is it likely that there's a small compressor somewhere built in for this task or am i looking forward to crawling around under my coach to test poundage and adjust? Not that it's a big deal, but it would be a nice coincidence option.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo11 View Post
I wouldn't really expect most people to know this for my year Intruder, but is it likely that there's a small compressor somewhere built in for this task or am i looking forward to crawling around under my coach to test poundage and adjust? Not that it's a big deal, but it would be a nice coincidence option.
*convenience
Apollo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo11 View Post
Well, your right I don't know about a intruder. But, on my Damon Daybreak, there is no compressor.

I hope we are talking about the same air bags that are inside some coil springs. If not, you may have the type air suspension that would have a air compressor, but those are usually on the big diesel rigs.

But, if you have the coil spring air bags, there is no compressor. You have two options. One, you can buy some adapter hoses that you can run them to inside a bay door. Two, you will have to crawl under and adjust the air bags from the bottom. I just crawl under, its not that big of a deal. Usually set them to my desired pressure and move on. If the unit sits for some time, I will, double check before my next road trip.
Hope this helps https://www.etrailer.com/susp-1998_W...tm?&Redirect=8
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #7

I run mine about 70 psi, but am no where near loaded. I don't think running them up to 100 psi will do much good to keep the coach from rocking. I use my jacks o stabilize my coach even if I'm pretty level. I just installed new bags in my coach and ran the air line up under the hood for easy access. I sure don't want to be crawling under the coach to check air pressure, or adjust it.I also run my tires psi according to the weight my coach is. Makes a BIG difference on the ride, and handling.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #8

First question, what GVWR chassis, second question, have you weighed it to get 4 corner or axle weights, if not do so.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
First question, what GVWR chassis, second question, have you weighed it to get 4 corner or axle weights, if not do so.
What good will that do? I've never seen a chart to tell you what pressures to run in the bags. I run mine at the pressure I do, to get the ride height I want. I want my coach to ride the soft as I can get it. When I bought this coach the PO had 115 lbs of air in the tires. I run 70 , and it's much more pleasant to drive. My 313 only weighs a little over 12,000, about 1/2 of my Dolphin.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, airbag