RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several months ago Chandler told us about the hidden basement compartments, of which I have now put mine to use.
I have the the '05 Daybreak but I don't know if other models have the same dashboard or not.
The compartment on the right is the only one that was usable, stock. The center one looked like it could open but was screwed tightly shut by invisible screws. I thought I might find an easy access to get under my dash but instead I found another fully finished glove box. Damon must have saved about $1.98 by just screwing it shut instead of installing hinges and a magnet to hold it closed.

The above picsis what it always was, the center did'nt open.

Now I have another spot to keep more junk.
I know it's not a big deal, but if yours is like mine, you might be interested in this cheap and easy additional compartment.

Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several months ago Chandler told us about the hidden basement compartments, of which I have now put mine to use.
I have the the '05 Daybreak but I don't know if other models have the same dashboard or not.
The compartment on the right is the only one that was usable, stock. The center one looked like it could open but was screwed tightly shut by invisible screws. I thought I might find an easy access to get under my dash but instead I found another fully finished glove box. Damon must have saved about $1.98 by just screwing it shut instead of installing hinges and a magnet to hold it closed.

The above picsis what it always was, the center did'nt open.

Now I have another spot to keep more junk.
I know it's not a big deal, but if yours is like mine, you might be interested in this cheap and easy additional compartment.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

That is amazing! I can't understand why they didn't put the hinge and lock on...You're right, it must be the $1000 a year they saved.

Unfortunately I don't have that dashboard but I'll spread the word when I see Daybreak people...

Good find!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #4

Man, I wish I had that dash in my '07 Daybreak. They cheapened it in the later models.

Don't know if anyone else has the box out under their queen bed that goes from the exterior wall in about 16 inches or so. I noticed that when I opened the storage under my bed that it was shorter than the bed itself. I removed the four screws and found the space empty aside from the transfer switch. I haven't done anything with it yet but....
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #5

We had a 2000 Intruder with a hinged step in the entrance which opened into a very handy storage. We then bought a new 2006 Intruder and it was not there. I pried up the step and found the compartment was still there but Damon hadn't hinged the step. I attached two small strap hinges and the compartment is now easily available.

(2nd one, 1st was a 2000 - FORDFORDFORD)
obbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #6

Just came across this new post. I have this same dash in our 04 Daybreak and will be checking it out some warm day when I get a chance. John H....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #7

Max49, I was able to find the two front screws, but where or how do you get to the rear ones? I couldn't see them looking up under the dash. Thanks, John H....
Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John H...:
Max49, I was able to find the two front screws, but where or how do you get to the rear ones? I couldn't see them looking up under the dash. Thanks, John H.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhmmm, I couldn't get to them either; til I got the front screws out and I just pulled up on it. There's just 2 screws, screw up from under it into the plastic.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:38 AM   #9

OK Max, Thanks . I will check that out. John H....
Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #10

Max, It just so happens that there are 4 screws. I removed the two front ones and had to force the lid off. The remaining 2 screws were sticking up through from underneath somewhere that I couldn't get to. I screwed them down in with a pair of pliers until they just fell out of the holes and disappeared. Now, I'll figure out what to do with the door and extra space. Thanks again for the info. John H....
Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You did it exactly how I did.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

Hi Max. We just acquired an 03 daybreak 2750 LE, I think I have the same dash set up as you. I can't access your pics to see where the hard to find screws are. Are they accessed from under the dash or can I get at them through through the small crack between the "door" and the lower piece of plastic. I made a commitment to DW "no more new holes". But she would like to have this dash top storage if possible. Many thanks. G.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
We bought a 2005 daybreak 3272 three years ago and one of the first things I noticed when looking at the dash was what looked like an extra compartment lid beside the one on the right. just as you said. There was no access underneath so I started to pry gently and off it came. Popped the screws leaving small holes. I covered the holes with rubber bumper pads and used same size and style hinges. It looked like it was always there. I dont know if yours is the same as mine but on the exterior right side, behind the tire and the last storage door there is a panel that is screwed shut with straps on the bottom. If you take the screws out you have another spot for a large basement storage bay. The hinge is on the top the same as the rest of the doors. You would have to make something to fit the space and try to find the same latches to match the rest. It is amazing what you can find if you start looking.

jsides is offline   Reply With Quote