Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are there any Avanti owners in the forum?

looking for Avanti owners
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Avanti 2608

I just joined forum today.I have a 2011 Avanti 2608 I bought last summer.We have only used it on one 2 nite trip and drove 300miles. We got busy building a new house and had no time to explore so I put on consignment with RV dealer but no offers over last 4 months. If it doesn't sell by sept. we will keep it.Hard to find any owner reviews online.How you like your rig?
Andytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Avanti

We got our 3106 Labor Day 2011. Very please with this motorhome. Drives wonderful, plenty of power, we tow '09 Ford Flex LTD (4800#) without issue. MPG wonderful. The F.R.E.D. Is terrific..louder than pusher but MPG trade-off worth the idle noise...quiet on highway. We upgraded the 13' carefree awning to Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17' to get rain sensor, wind sensor, and built-in power sunscreen. This also give us awning shade over main salon windows.....somewhat of an oversight with 13' design on the 3106.
We've taken trip to Key West this past Jan-Feb and couple times to Georgia glamping. Next voyage to Kentucky for week long stay at statepark and thento West Virginia for week or so.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We have owned a Thor Motor Coach (TMC) Avanti (28 foot model) since Dec 2010 (2011 model). We have taken more than 15 trips (short and long) accumulating better than 20,000 miles. We recently returned from visiting the Oregon coast (3,200 miles). The Avanti is our first RV purchase. It is perfect for two adults and is very easy to drive and maneuver.

By far the best part of this RV is the MC-L Freightliner chassis (made in Gaffney, SC). This chassis is rock solid and a pleasure to perform routine maintenance on.

I have added some detail in a post:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/damon-avanti-2806-a-98868.html

Another member I have been communicating with is “normanh”. I can send you our thread in an e-mail if you think it might help – it contains some specific issues that have been dealt with.

Hope this helps
Avanti2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thor Damon Avanti

Thank you very much Avanti2806. We leave next week heading to Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #6

First test on this Forum from Europe. Very useful thread. My father in law has an RV over here but has been looking at an Avanti 2806. Could you give some thoughts on the suspension? Would there be a significant effect on the performace if I added an extra 200 ltr water tank? and maybe elaborate on the comment about 'still rides a bit like a bus'. Thank you
wgloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Sure like to hear more about the Avanti's on this thread. I am a long time diesel pusher user, tried the View and found it too small for long durations. The Avanti now seems to be just the right size...but why did Damon drop it for 2013? The "lower, narrower, lighter" idea seems right. Added to a nice interior finish....I am suprised that other manufacturers haven't picked up on this. (Vesta, by Monaco, yes, but $$$). Tell me what you like and also what the short comings might be.

Thanks, Dave

(Just sold the View, now looking again)
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

I have a 2011 Avanti 2806 bought new May 2011.It has 1300miles. Due to a financial reversal I would like to sell. On consignment with local RV dealer but I will take back on Sept.1,2012 if he has,nt sold by then. I will then be free to negotiate on my own.- Andy
Andytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffster
Sure like to hear more about the Avanti's on this thread. I am a long time diesel pusher user, tried the View and found it too small for long durations. The Avanti now seems to be just the right size...but why did Damon drop it for 2013? The "lower, narrower, lighter" idea seems right. Added to a nice interior finish....I am suprised that other manufacturers haven't picked up on this. (Vesta, by Monaco, yes, but $$$). Tell me what you like and also what the short comings might be.

Thanks, Dave

(Just sold the View, now looking again)
Dave - where to begin.
Our one year anniversary is Aug 31st owning our Avanti. We are very pleased.
MPG towing '09 Ford Flex (4800+ #) is 10 with the International MaxxForce 5 F.R.E.D.
We find this MH very comfortable to drive and especially comfortable in evenings for dining, lounging, watching movies, etc.
The main salon layout is well set enabling clear viewing of TV from booth style setee'. I personally enjoy lounging on the jack-knife sofa to watch TV/movies. Many other coaches have you twisting and contorting to see TV.
The 200hp engine with Allison transmission on Workhorse chassis is super fine and powerful for us. We normally drive abt 60mph. If I don't set cruise, i easily exceed 70 without effort and attention.....while towing.
We chose the 3106 because we did not want to crawl over each other as in side bed models. Although not a full walk around, I am able to enjoy the freedom of movement, access, and egress without discomfort.
Our shower is most ample for my 6' 215# frame. The 'peacekeeper' toilet is fine, the sink and cabinet arrangement is a little awkward when brushing teeth....bending over.
Driving is super easy...even towing through towns and cities is not a problem. We toured downtown Atlanta, Lexington, and Birmingham recently (with toad)....no problem.
Avanti's huge panoramic view open the road and traffic lanes. Driver sits high butnot so high as to feel rig size overpowersthe road lanes. While towing in heavy traffic, I use the rear camera monitor to keep eye on tailgaters and racers.
Chassis A/C has chore in high heat days in direct sun (90's); however, most vehicles do. We found the coach house hvac to do well (we live in Florida....but...the whole country has been sweating these past two summers), so what the heck. We deliberately chose the Avanti because of 30amp power vs 50amp. Sometimes hard to find 50amp and it often comes with premium $ add-on.
Check this out: Thor's warranty service dept called me abt 3 weeks ago asking if we were planning trip near Elkhart this summer. They offered for us to come in for complete "predelivery inspection" of our coach and systems as our 1-year anniv is end of Aug. we are at Thor now and they are going through some bugs.
I did replace the useless (to me) 13ft, Carefree awning with a Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17ft. The 13ft standard issue only covers to just the front side of the entry door, leaving the main salon windows uncovered. The 17ft covers from just front of the rear cargo pass-thru to just aft of the passenger cab windows providing a beautiful, full patio awning. The WeatherPro Plus also has auto-retract for winds (user select wind speed), auto-dip for rain water runoff, and "plus" feature if built-in power sunscreen. Properly installed per mfg specs, there is a remote control fob, manual operation switch, and ignition cut-off switch that will auto-retract extended awning when ignition turned on, and also prevents any accidential awning operation when MH moving. Enhances our outdoor patio experience tremendously.
Disappointed as Avanti model production ends with 2012. Guess the Serranto is optional replacement. Unfortunately reviews are mixed and not friendly.
Hope this is useful.
Vince
Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have owned our 2012 Avanti 2806 since last October. We traded up from a 2008 Winnebago View which I liked but was too small for my wife. Freightliner Chassis and Cummins Engine have performed flawlessly so far. We easily tow a Ford Focus. Except for some House issues which have been covered by the warranty we are very satisfied with RV. We like the low profile (10'11") and wanted a unit under 30' as we stay in a lot of state parks and NPS campgrounds. We joined the Thor Diesel Club and attended their Spring rally in Seiverville, TN, we very much enjoy the group eventhough we were the runt of the litter amongst the big DP's. We plan to attend the TDC international rally this fall in Goshen. Thor appears to have made a significant commitment to the club and it is a good way to get to know the Thor support people. I attended Camp Freightliner for FRED's this past July which was well worth the time and effort.
Ed
Northern VA
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

Ed and Vince......thank you for your replies. I am probably heading towards an Avanti. Wish there were some in the west. Guess I will load up the tow car and head east where I have spotted a few,

Remaining question, did any of the 28 ft models get the Workhorse chassis? It appears that all were built on the Freightliner/ Cummins chassis.

Dave
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanti3106 View Post
Dave - where to begin.
Our one year anniversary is Aug 31st owning our Avanti. We are very pleased.
MPG towing '09 Ford Flex (4800+ #) is 10 with the International MaxxForce 5 F.R.E.D.
We find this MH very comfortable to drive and especially comfortable in evenings for dining, lounging, watching movies, etc.
The main salon layout is well set enabling clear viewing of TV from booth style setee'. I personally enjoy lounging on the jack-knife sofa to watch TV/movies. Many other coaches have you twisting and contorting to see TV.
The 200hp engine with Allison transmission on Workhorse chassis is super fine and powerful for us. We normally drive abt 60mph. If I don't set cruise, i easily exceed 70 without effort and attention.....while towing.
We chose the 3106 because we did not want to crawl over each other as in side bed models. Although not a full walk around, I am able to enjoy the freedom of movement, access, and egress without discomfort.
Our shower is most ample for my 6' 215# frame. The 'peacekeeper' toilet is fine, the sink and cabinet arrangement is a little awkward when brushing teeth....bending over.
Driving is super easy...even towing through towns and cities is not a problem. We toured downtown Atlanta, Lexington, and Birmingham recently (with toad)....no problem.
Avanti's huge panoramic view open the road and traffic lanes. Driver sits high butnot so high as to feel rig size overpowersthe road lanes. While towing in heavy traffic, I use the rear camera monitor to keep eye on tailgaters and racers.
Chassis A/C has chore in high heat days in direct sun (90's); however, most vehicles do. We found the coach house hvac to do well (we live in Florida....but...the whole country has been sweating these past two summers), so what the heck. We deliberately chose the Avanti because of 30amp power vs 50amp. Sometimes hard to find 50amp and it often comes with premium $ add-on.
Check this out: Thor's warranty service dept called me abt 3 weeks ago asking if we were planning trip near Elkhart this summer. They offered for us to come in for complete "predelivery inspection" of our coach and systems as our 1-year anniv is end of Aug. we are at Thor now and they are going through some bugs.
I did replace the useless (to me) 13ft, Carefree awning with a Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17ft. The 13ft standard issue only covers to just the front side of the entry door, leaving the main salon windows uncovered. The 17ft covers from just front of the rear cargo pass-thru to just aft of the passenger cab windows providing a beautiful, full patio awning. The WeatherPro Plus also has auto-retract for winds (user select wind speed), auto-dip for rain water runoff, and "plus" feature if built-in power sunscreen. Properly installed per mfg specs, there is a remote control fob, manual operation switch, and ignition cut-off switch that will auto-retract extended awning when ignition turned on, and also prevents any accidential awning operation when MH moving. Enhances our outdoor patio experience tremendously.
Disappointed as Avanti model production ends with 2012. Guess the Serranto is optional replacement. Unfortunately reviews are mixed and not friendly.
Hope this is useful.
Vince
Your are saying that you have a MaxForce 5 engine and a Workhorse chassis on your Avanti? I don't believe so.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well....as they say...believe it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanti3106 View Post
Well....as they say...believe it.
Is2012 Thor Motor Coach Avanti 3106 Motorhome : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide your MH? Cummins engine and Freightliner chassis.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum