Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Quote: I did replace the useless (to me) 13ft, Carefree awning with a Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17ft. The 13ft standard issue only covers to just the front side of the entry door, leaving the main salon windows uncovered. The 17ft covers from just front of the rear cargo pass-thru to just aft of the passenger cab windows providing a beautiful, full patio awning. The WeatherPro Plus also has auto-retract for winds (user select wind speed), auto-dip for rain water runoff, and "plus" feature if built-in power sunscreen. Properly installed per mfg specs, there is a remote control fob, manual operation switch, and ignition cut-off switch that will auto-retract extended awning when ignition turned on, and also prevents any accidential awning operation when MH moving. Vince

Vince: We have a 2011 Avanti 3106 - Workhorse chassis and MaxForce 5 engine. When I open the dinky Carefree awning, I have to have the door closed as the underside of the awning will rub over the top of the door. Once fully deployed, I have to use the feet of the awning to raise it enough to clear the door. I have been looking at replacing the awning with the Dometic WeatherPro 17 ft, but wondered if it would have the same problem clearing the door. Can you provide any details of your Dometic install and if you have the door clearance problem?

I was also thinking of getting a Dometic awning version like we had on a previous travel trailer... the manual type that you pulled a strap down and the "awning feet" could either be placed in a slot on the side of the MH or on the ground. I wanted to have an awning shade cover and I didn't think that the fully automatic type awning... without "awning feet" could be fitted with a shade.
Reid Gantt reidgantt@aol.com
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #44

avanti engine /chassis choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEZM3 View Post
looking for Avanti owners
Avanti owners. Any pros or cons to the 2 engine /chassis combos used? Navistar/workhorsr vs Cummins /freightliner
vvoicemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs up Avanti owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEZM3 View Post
looking for Avanti owners
Will take possession of a 2010 Avanti 3106 in 2 days. I'm sure I'll be back here often.

Tim
timwoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwoodburn View Post

Will take possession of a 2010 Avanti 3106 in 2 days. I'm sure I'll be back here often.

Tim
Congratulation on your 3106, Tim. We are very pleased with our coach. I hope you have as much enjoyment as we do.

Best Regards,
Mike
MHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #47

Damon Owners Club
New Awning

Well, we bit the $ bullet and had a 17' Dometic Weather Pro awning installed on our 2011 Avanti 3106 (Workhorse /MaxxForce 5). The awning that came with the MH was useless.... even though it was electric, I could not extend it without deploying the awning supports and that took several minutes. Anyway, the new awning looks great and opens easily. The only issue was that the space behind the old awning was not painted. With the new awning closed, a very narrow white strip shows and when it is open, a larger white strip. We have the Black and Tan color Avanti. I got the paint codes for these colors from Thor and had a pint of black and half-pint of tan mixed (the brown color is not included in the area needing painting). I've not started painting yet.... it is raining. I have a large air compressor and paint gun but I wondered if I could do this small paint job easier.... the paint company had a product called Preval spray system. It is essentially a glass bottle you fill with the paint, add the required amount of thinner, mix and then attach to the aerosol top. It is like making your own can of spray paint. The two paint colors I will apply are not finished until you use a clearcoat cover spray. The Preval spray systems were not too expensive... about $7 each. BTW, the quote I got over the telephone for having this job done at a auto paint place was about $800. Even if I don't do a perfect job, the area when awning is closed is barely visible and when awning is deployed, you have to basically be standing under the awning to see this area. But the white color stands out very much so any painting I do will be an improvement.
We will be going to the Good Sam RV Rally in Atlanta 17 Oct; if you are going, look us up. We might have our new awning open showing off the paint job!
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #48
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Tim
Highly recommend joining the Thor Diesel Club, FMCA, great group of people and Thor has their techs at the rallys to answer questions about you rig.
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
I have read different specs about the 2010 Avanti 3106 we are getting. Some say it has an exhaust brake, others say no.

Was this an option? Can it be added?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #50

The Cummins/Freightliner has an exhaust brake, not sure of the previous platform.
mcruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #51

Anybody else as dumb as me? The inverter was the one thing apparently that we'd not tested after getting our 2012 2806. Son plugged in his laptop on the last trip (to do homework!) and nothing. I debugged it and in hindsight missed a few obvious clues (like the inverter having it's own 15A breaker. Long story short, these Xantrex don't have the best reputation so I bought a new one, Xantrex 1800 vs. 1000 and same deal.
Damon only powers 1 outlet which feeds the TVs on the 2806... the TVs ??? really?
If anybody needs a spare Xantrex HW 1000 let me know.

I've installed inverters in other RVs but there I ran all the A/C through it since it was a basic 15A circuit. Still getting used to this class A stuff
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruc View Post
The Cummins/Freightliner has an exhaust brake, not sure of the previous platform.
Thanks for the reply.

Can't find it on the 2010 3106 we're supposed to get. It's on the Freightliner chassis. Been at PPL in Houston for nearly 2 weeks trying to make it happen.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #53

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruc View Post
We have a 2011 model 2806 (Freightliner MC-L Chassis) – No exhaust brake, just a “Disable Overdrive” switch. I did see a 2012 model 2806 at the factory (Sept 2011), and it did have a switch labeled “Engine Brake”.
Avanti2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #54
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2012 2806 w/Freightliner chassis with the engine brake. On/Off switch was mounted on right side of dash next to overdrive on/off switch. While at campfreightliner in July 2012 met another avanti owner with same year and model. His did not have the engine brake.
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Ladder

I don't have a ladder on my Avanti 3106. Did they ever come with one? What do other owners do to get up on the roof?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #56

Quote:
I don't have a ladder on my Avanti 3106. Did they ever come with one? What do other owners do to get up on the roof?
Don't think they wanted us up there! The dealer said they simply jump on from the RV parked next to it! Thanks..

I bought an Xtend & Climb 780P Type IA telescoping ladder:
Xtend & Climb 780P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type IA Professional Series, 12.5-Foot - Amazon.com

I also got the protective top cover -- which is silicone-like -- that's a TC812.
Had to get that from RE Williams (rewci.com)

The ladder stores nicely up on the frame rails in the compartment to the left of the door. I also have a 6ft freestanding fold-up RV ladder that stores in there that I had previously.

Tags
forum