Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Astoria 2008 - Steps do not always function

Another new problem today. The door steps intermittently do not extend or retract.

Sometimes they’ll work correctly, other times they’ll not come down or the stay down. By opening and closing the door many many many times I seem to get them to function correctly for about three cycles then they malfunction again.

I don’t know if the problem is in the door sensor or the control module. The trouble shooting guide is weak.

Has anyone else had a problem like this.

Steve Of Gilroy
2008 Damon Astoria 3786
2000 Toyota Avalon with a malfunctions Remco Lube Pump – so I drag it in natural with the engine in idle. (Remco rep suggestion – worked for 7000K miles)
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=SteveOGilroy;689592]Another new problem today. The door steps intermittently do not extend or retract.

Sometimes they’ll work correctly, other times they’ll not come down or the stay down.

Last Month at Cody WY moved from one camp ground to another stopped and Step's would not go out When we left drove down to Fuel up and Bingo step's came out and working a month later.MH's have a mind of their own,but it must be short or dirt???????????????
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

I just had a similar occurance with 3175 Daybreak, went to storage to pick it up steps did not extend, got to the house stairs extended, drove 100 miles to site and stairs extended, got up on leveling jacks and stairs would not extend until the 2nd day they extended. I have not tried to trouble shoot yet.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #4

Mine wouldn't come in, and after checking fuses and loose wires (the brown one is supposed to be connected to nothing), i applied the multi-meter probes to the door switch posts. lo and behold, the steps came in and have worked without fail ever since. I think the controller got confused. ....or I have a magic multimeter!
-dan
08 Astoria PE Bunkhouse
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dan,

The magic multimeter is a different brand than mine. I have ordered a replacement switch at the bottom of the door, thought I'd start cheap the move to the controller next. These intermittent problems are difficult.

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Dan,

The magic multimeter is a different brand than mine. I have ordered a replacement switch at the bottom of the door, thought I'd start cheap the move to the controller next. These intermittent problems are difficult.

Thanks for your help.
Steve
You really can't appreciate a intermittent electrical problem until it is 20 below and at night working on overhead wires. I know, I used to work for an alarm company and was in that very situation. Had to re-solder using a Bic lighter, battery operated soldering irons were not as good as they are today.

I also had the pleasure of working on a light switch in my F-I-L's 35 year old Winnebago on Friday. It turned out to be a cold solder joint that lasted 35 years before it had to be repaired.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I may not have the magic multimeter but I did pull off the ground and scrap the rust off attached a new screw and painted the ground. It seems to be working ... maybe at 20 below or 80 above it will not.... intermittent electrical problems are mean.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Another new problem today. The door steps intermittently do not extend or retract.

Sometimes they’ll work correctly, other times they’ll not come down or the stay down. By opening and closing the door many many many times I seem to get them to function correctly for about three cycles then they malfunction again.

I don’t know if the problem is in the door sensor or the control module. The trouble shooting guide is weak.

Has anyone else had a problem like this.

Steve Of Gilroy
2008 Damon Astoria 3786

2000 Toyota Avalon with a malfunctions Remco Lube Pump – so I drag it in natural with the engine in idle. (Remco rep suggestion – worked for 7000K miles)
We experienced a similiar problem on two different occasions. 1st time was a bad ground on the step-motor and second time was a direct short in the step-motor wiring that kept eating fuses. Was really frustrated for a few days until we found the problem. Would suggest you check the wiring for ground on your step drive motor. Since we fixed all has been good.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I'll do that tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #10

And now mine are malfunctioning differently. The motor sounds labored, and it stops the retraction about half-way. We lubed the mechanism, and it doesn't seem to be binding, and even tried a replacement (used) motor with no change. Any ideas?
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #11

Hi
My last MH was a Monaco La Palma and it had intermitten steps until I took the outside wires off and cleaned all connections plus sprayed cleaner in the door switch. This first happened when we camped near the beach.After the cleaning it did not fail again. Good Luck
Larry
larryellert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Almost all intermittent electrical problems are a loose or corroded connection or a bad ground.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote