Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone removed one of their Basement doors, I need to make some repairs. The mounting material for the air cylinder has broken loose at door mounting. Does it unscrew or just raise up and lift off? ,cannot find the easy way. I have removed some screws but did not come off. I am sure there is a way to remove.
Pending directions!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone removed one of their Basement doors, I need to make some repairs. The mounting material for the air cylinder has broken loose at door mounting. Does it unscrew or just raise up and lift off? ,cannot find the easy way. I have removed some screws but did not come off. I am sure there is a way to remove.
Pending directions!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #3

The hinge slides in the side trim track. Open the door and wiggle it around while watching the hinge and you'll see what I am talking about. I am not sure how to remove it.

Best thing is try to fix it while it's attached to the coach.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This has been a surprise! I thought with all the Experience on this site someone would have known this procedure/answer. I have noted that it Wiggles but is there a way to "wiggle" it off to make these repairs since previously read to put some Epoxy with chips in the mount hole. The last I checked Epoxy will run down hill?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some doors have tabs up near hinge that holds door in track, than lift door up to side wall and it drops out of track and have seen others where you had to remove end finish piece and slide all doors of track until you had the one you wanted.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #6

Mr C...A few years ago I removed a compartment door for a friend on a R Vision. The doors are held on the same as our Damons. The doors, as you know, are on a trach. The track runs the length of the coach. To remove, say, the middle door, you'll have to slide all the doors off before it. On the R Vision there was a cap at the end of the track. I had to drill out a pop rivet, remove the cap and the doors slid off. On my Damon, I think the moulding covering the seam for the front and rear caps is in the way so you have a choice. You can remove the moulding, unfasten the track from the coach and pull it away enough to slide the door out, or spread the track opening enough to get the door out. The problem with any of these ideas, at least on mine, is the tracks are painted as is the moulding. Any of these will damage the paint.

I think I would look into the epoxy idea with the door in place. You can fill the holes and put wax paper over the holes with tape over the paper. If you go to a marine store you'll find that there are fillers you can add the the epoxy to make it more like bondo. Lot's of options.

Hope this helped...

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Chandler, I knew someone on this Damon forum would know how to remove basement doors. WIll get to barn when it warms up and check out. Thanks again for the help!!