Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Both power outlets not working

On our way from NJ to Fla our dog bumped into the brake buddy transponder plugged into the power outlet near the passenger seat. That caused the outlet to fall out of the dash somewhat, being held on by the wires. I went over to where the RV is stored while we're on vacation and as I took the outlet out to see what was going on it sparked with the backing portion, that was still behind the dash and barely holding onto the outlet. I proceeded to get the outlet and backing unscrewed and loosened up the bottom portion of the dash so I can get my fat hands back there. I was able to connect everything back together, the wires to the outlet and the power outlet to the backing cylinder that sits behind the dash that screws into the power outlet. Check to see if it has power with my cell phone charger, no power. Checked the other power outlet near the driver seat, no power. Now I'm assuming I blew a fuse but after checking for fuse locations in the owners manual there is no such section. Now I have four fuse boxes, one on the floor of the driver seat, two in the bedroom and one in the engine compartment. Of course there's no legend on any of the fuse box lids. Does anyone know where the fuse for the power outlets would be located. Should I feel confident it's a fuse? I assume there would be one fuse for both but I've been wrong before.
We have a Damon Challenger 368 on the F-53 chasis..

Sorry for the book

Bob
RJL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Pretty confident the fuse for a dash power outlet would be in the one under the driver's seat or in the engine compartment. The fuse boxes in the bedroom are most likely for house functions. I'd start there pulling and examining each fuse.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

OK. I got one working today and one still not working. So I have an additional question. I got the driver side one working again by changing the large 20A fuse in the power control center in the engine compartment but the original one on the passenger side is not working. When I disconnected the passenger side power outlet there were two wires, a yellow and white. I plugged the white wire into the back of the power outlet and the yellow wire into the holder I guess you can call it of the power outlet. The power outlet sits outside of the dash and screws into the holder which sits inside of the dash. I'm thinking maybe they're backwards. Is one a supply and the other a ground? I thought maybe one was supply and the other supplied power to the other power outlet, but now that the other is working I see it's not a lead. Could there be two seperate fuses? I pulled them all out of the P.D. box today and all were good. If it's the fuse box under the driver seat it's nearly impossible for me to fit in there. I'm just a bit hesitant to change them around in fear of blowing something else.

Thanks

Bob
Old 10-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The wire to the center post of the power outlet should be the 12v(+) and the ground is connected to the outside 'barrel' of the outlet. If the outlet is fastened to a steel or grounded base, then no separate ground wire is needed.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The wire to the center post of the power outlet should be the 12v(+) and the ground is connected to the outside 'barrel' of the outlet. If the outlet is fastened to a steel or grounded base, then no separate ground wire is needed.

Thank you Bob. What do you think is power? Yellow or white? If I decide to switch them and they're wrong do you think I'll blow something else?

Bob
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd use a test light or multimeter rather than guess. Even if the 12v (+) wire is still dead because of a blown fuse, the ground wire would still test out with a voltmeter from a known good 12v(+) source.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

Thank you very much for the info. I'm still trying to find my way mechanically. I'll post back my findings of the yellow/white wire difference. Wish it was still just black and red.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:25 AM   #8

RJL1-

I prefer not to make posts that begin "On our coach..." In this case, though, I shall.

On our coach, the Ford-provided "cigar lighter" circuit is not used for anything. Instead, Monaco powers the dash 12V outlets off its own fuse panel.

It sounds as if your coach may have one powered off Ford, and one off the chassis or house batteries. The one on the Ford side you fixed by replacing the fuse in the Battery Junction Box under the hood. The Ford fuse circuit does not run through the Central Junction Box, which is under the dash, so you don't need to squeeze in there.

after you finish running the ground-continuity test "BFlinn181" recommends, if the other wire is still dead I'd look at the Battery Control Center. According to a 2009 Challenger owners manual (link here), section 7, there's a fuse in there marked "CIG LIGHTR/OUTLET, 15A MAX." According to the same section, the BCC is "... in the compartment in front of the drivers’ front tire."

For completeness, here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "Damon" and "fuse panel" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
RJL1-

I prefer not to make posts that begin "On our coach..." In this case, though, I shall.

On our coach, the Ford-provided "cigar lighter" circuit is not used for anything. Instead, Monaco powers the dash 12V outlets off its own fuse panel.

It sounds as if your coach may have one powered off Ford, and one off the chassis or house batteries. The one on the Ford side you fixed by replacing the fuse in the Battery Junction Box under the hood. The Ford fuse circuit does not run through the Central Junction Box, which is under the dash, so you don't need to squeeze in there.

after you finish running the ground-continuity test "BFlinn181" recommends, if the other wire is still dead I'd look at the Battery Control Center. According to a 2009 Challenger owners manual (link here), section 7, there's a fuse in there marked "CIG LIGHTR/OUTLET, 15A MAX." According to the same section, the BCC is "... in the compartment in front of the drivers’ front tire."

For completeness, here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "Damon" and "fuse panel" in them.

Thank you very much for this. I had no idea of this hidden fuse panel. I'll check it out later this afternoon/evening and report back.

Bob
Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Got it fixed today. Turns out I had the wires reversed. The white wire, which is the ground attaches to the barrel of the cigar lighter/power outlet and the yellow wire attaches to the power outlet once it's screwed into the barrel.

Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Bob
Old 11-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Happy to hear you figured it out and reported back with your success. Happy camping!

Bob & Donna

Tags
power