Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
See if this link will help:
Buy Carrier Parts | hvacplus.com
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
howdja

I was able to find a ducted Carrier A/C Heatpump on ebay as you mentioned. I have already had the repairs made on my MH. I should have checked ebay, did not even think about it. Now I'm wondering if I should purchase the one there to keep as a backup, should my front unit fail. One of those "catch 22" deals. If I don't the front unit could go out next week, if I do purchase it, it could still be in the garage storage when I'm carried to my grave.

JC2

I'll check out the website you provided.

Thanks to all who have responed.

Ferd
ferd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd3 View Post
howdja

I was able to find a ducted Carrier A/C Heatpump on ebay as you mentioned. I have already had the repairs made on my MH. I should have checked ebay, did not even think about it. Now I'm wondering if I should purchase the one there to keep as a backup, should my front unit fail. One of those "catch 22" deals. If I don't the front unit could go out next week, if I do purchase it, it could still be in the garage storage when I'm carried to my grave.

JC2

I'll check out the website you provided.

Thanks to all who have responed.

Ferd

But then again there will probably be someone in your same shoes down the road and I would think selling it should be no problem if not needed. Just a thought.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
howdja,

I found the Carrier unit on EBay. I don't know why I did not think to look there, before I had the repairs done. Now I'm wondering if I should be the unit on EBay and store it for future use. The way things usually go, if I don't by it the front unit will go out, if I do buy it, it will still be stored in my garage when I'm in the casket on the way to the cemetary. "catch 22".
ferd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Our front upper unit has given out finally. (it is icing up constantly and is low on refrigerant) A company has come out with a conversion kit (Carrier to Coleman Adapter Kit ) that will allow you to use a Coleman Mach series upper unit and keep the lower Carrier unit. We are replacing our 13.5k unit with a 15K upper unit in the front.

And since ours has the remote control it is almost impossible to have a regular wall mount temperature controller added. There are no places to put the wires from the new lower unit to the wall mount control.

We are also replacing the thermister/ice probe cable in both of our units. I checked them and the thermister cable was way off on the ohms reading. This explains why the units never worked correctly the last couple of years.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodieboys View Post
Our front upper unit has given out finally. (it is icing up constantly and is low on refrigerant) A company has come out with a conversion kit (Carrier to Coleman Adapter Kit ) that will allow you to use a Coleman Mach series upper unit and keep the lower Carrier unit. We are replacing our 13.5k unit with a 15K upper unit in the front.

And since ours has the remote control it is almost impossible to have a regular wall mount temperature controller added. There are no places to put the wires from the new lower unit to the wall mount control.

We are also replacing the thermister/ice probe cable in both of our units. I checked them and the thermister cable was way off on the ohms reading. This explains why the units never worked correctly the last couple of years.

We had the unit replaced and a world of difference. The 15K unit gets the coach cool (been 95 plus for about a month now) and then shuts down.

One other thing we did was to drop the temperature probe down out of the unit about 2 inches. That has made a world of difference as it is now reading the correct temparature of the room and not the cold air around the base mount.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #21

Coleman also now makes a manual control ADB for the ducted units that can replace the AirV installation without running additional wires. Places the controls on the ceiling grill. Its a simple manual dial control....but no electronics to go out either.

I had heard that Dometic was going to build a remote control ceiling unit that could be used like the AirV units but have not seen that one.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodieboys View Post
We had the unit replaced and a world of difference. The 15K unit gets the coach cool (been 95 plus for about a month now) and then shuts down.

One other thing we did was to drop the temperature probe down out of the unit about 2 inches. That has made a world of difference as it is now reading the correct temparature of the room and not the cold air around the base mount.

Sean
could you snap a few pics of this adapter and maybe a milestone list of how it went and what to look for?
our units work good, not near as well as others we have had, but they are running COLD
i have found that 6 months is the max time to let them go with a deep cleaning, by removing the upper air plenum and cleaning the coils.
i get REALLY cold air, i am just not happy with air flow volume overall.

but i am putting together a list of piece parts or replacements so if they bite the dust i can be ready.
the wireless remote issue really bugs me to no end, why does no one else make one? for other units
i think i will upgrade to heat pumps during he replacement phase as well.

thanks
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would be really surprised if Carrier did not have replacement boards for a few more years. I would forget the dealer and contact Carrier directly about the part. It may take some digging to find the right department to call, but they should still have parts for the units.

For the dealer the easy way out is to just replace it rather than fix it.

Ken

There used to be some kind of requirement that they stock parts for a period of time after the last sale... However the key part of that phrase is "There used to be" My mother mentioned it to me because the company she worked for used to make something.. Which, purly by chance, we bought, but when parts were needed she was able to get them due to that rule.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There used to be some kind of requirement that they stock parts for a period of time after the last sale... However the key part of that phrase is "There used to be" My mother mentioned it to me because the company she worked for used to make something.. Which, purly by chance, we bought, but when parts were needed she was able to get them due to that rule.
used to cover major mechanical items, like cars, engines planes etc....it was 10 model years.

roof top a/c units most likely not,,but we can hope
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
Sean
could you snap a few pics of this adapter and maybe a milestone list of how it went and what to look for?
our units work good, not near as well as others we have had, but they are running COLD
i have found that 6 months is the max time to let them go with a deep cleaning, by removing the upper air plenum and cleaning the coils.
i get REALLY cold air, i am just not happy with air flow volume overall.

but i am putting together a list of piece parts or replacements so if they bite the dust i can be ready.
the wireless remote issue really bugs me to no end, why does no one else make one? for other units
i think i will upgrade to heat pumps during he replacement phase as well.

thanks

I'll take the bottom cover off and snap a few photos for you. I actually had someone else put the unit in. And he found a few things that were not right in the conversion kit that Coleman is going to change ASAP (the return leg of 120V was not in the wiring adapter they had). We also had to use some silver duct tape to seal off the gaps between the upper unit, adapter kit and lower unit.

The big change was dropping the thermister down two inches. It actually will ready the temp in our coach now. And the 15K unit with the high volume air flow has made a world of difference. I also believe that if the thermister had been dropped the two inches earlier we would have avoided the new upper unit.

And Carrier does not make any more boards and have run out of control boards. They kept them around for 18 months then have run out of stock and have no intention of making any more.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #26

bought a Carriage Domani last year- brand new left over. First trip out the Carrier AC goes belly up. Had a new Coleman put on- didn't cool well, took 2 ac units to make rv liveable. First trip out this year- moved room air temp sensor to 2 inches below unit= works like a champ. need only 1 unit to keep rv at 68- in NC at 82 degrees. Just for those installing a Coleman with the modification kit.
Donnie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Copied this from IRV2 Search on Carrier AC; This was a very knowledgeable post. #4 wa8yxm

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon Owners Club

I have heard that on the forums.. I have a pair of Carrier V's.. This I will say..

Save for the "mother board" (Control board) there is nothing in that or any other air conditioner that is unique to that brand (or any brand) an air conditioner consists of several parts.. Other than the control board there is a fan/blower motor, this is an off the shelf at any motor supply and can also be re-built by a motor rebuilder very easily.

There is a compressor, again this is an off the shelf at a refrogeration supply

A condenser and an evaporator,, Some tubing and such, All these parts are generic though the condenser/evap unit may be a custom size (you may have to do some metal work to get one to fit)

The only thing that is unique to any given make and model is the control board and the outer housing.

When it comes to RV-Air conditioners they have another thing in common. The hole in the roof is a 14" square, (14" by 14") again, the brand does not matter.

Finally we get to the electrical connections.... There are basically three sets of electrical connections.

1: 120vc.. This is common to all brands.. basic White, black and green/bare (Neutral hot and safety ground) all the same, no difference brand to brand

2: (Optional) 12vdc, Carrier V uses this, not all models do.. if you don't need it, cut the wires and tape, heat shrink or wire nut (And tape) the ends, I like the wire nut with tape myself (Belt and suspenders)

3: (Also optional) Thermostat. The Carrier V has 2 wires (Blue) which control the furnace,, Most A/C's have two or more wires that control the A/C from a thermostat located elsewhere.. SOME the controls are all built into the insider cover and these have NO thermostat wires of any kind..

IF you have a Carrier V you can go with the "No remote" type, and then put in a common T-Stat for the furnace (you will have to figure out where to splice that device in) just cut and tape the blue wires.

Other types.. Well, if you have a multi-wire T-Stat, it will still control the furnace and so long as you need the same wires for the A/C (Usually a temp sensor and 1 or two fan wires) with the new one you are good again.

IN short, even if they don't make them any more.. It should be easy to replace it with a different make.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The O/P said the front control board is bad and that controls the furnace as well.. Sounds like bad news right.. Not so much.

Simply swap the control board with the one in the rear and replace the REAR unit keeping the works for spares.

OR... If you are good at cable tracking (Turns out I am good enough in my rig) I located the wires where they came up the wall (Turns out to be a very logical place) and you can cut in there and put in a Hunter Thermostat.