RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Ceramic Tile Backsplash Retrofit

Have any of you installed ceramic tile backsplash in your coach as a retrofit? Wife wants to update interior a bit and I love look of tile backsplash but wonder about flexing. Installation ideas or materials you have had success with?

bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My coach came with Corian back splashes, but corian flexes a tiny bit. Maybe less susceptible to cracks. I have tile floors, though.

It is my understanding that the coach manufacturers use a grout that is more flexible than the usual stuff for residential installations. You might want to ask about that at a professional flooring & tile store.

In the galley we added copper tile squares behind the countertop to alter the look a bit. This is actually a faux metal tile, but it looks like the stuff used in ceilings a century ago and comes in several shades of copper. We got one that had a patina to make it look more antique.

There are also floor tiles that are nearly indistinguishable from real slate or stone if you buy the high end stuff, say upwards of $3/sq ft. Those can be used as a back panel too. Might find something that your wife likes, yet cleans easily and not easily breakable. Look around and be creative!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I installed ceramic tile in the alcove of the stove in the galley of my Damon Challenger 2yrs ago from counter top to bottom of cabinets.Looks great and have not had any problems with it. I used high strength polyurethane based construction adhesive to glue tiles on wall and used regular grout with no problems.
rtrdglazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #4

Ceramic Tile Backsplash Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrdglazier View Post
I installed ceramic tile in the alcove of the stove in the galley of my Damon Challenger 2yrs ago from counter top to bottom of cabinets.Looks great and have not had any problems with it. I used high strength polyurethane based construction adhesive to glue tiles on wall and used regular grout with no problems.
Thanks so much! That's very encouraging. My wife will be very happy to hear this.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Ceramic tile backsplash in our 2003 Georgie Bou Cruisemaster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-992924316.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	47903  
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

DW and I installed stone and glass tile back splash in the kitchen replacing mirrors and wall paper. Used conventional household tile adhesive and unsanded grout. Holding up in second year. Only concern is flexing along the counter edge where it meets the wall. Grout was breaking out, but has since been removed and replaced with silicone.
ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARollingHome View Post
DW and I installed stone and glass tile back splash in the kitchen replacing mirrors and wall paper. Used conventional household tile adhesive and unsanded grout. Holding up in second year. Only concern is flexing along the counter edge where it meets the wall. Grout was breaking out, but has since been removed and replaced with silicone.
Next time try an epoxy grout, handles the same (essentially) as regular grout just the components are different. Will not stain, is flexible and really tough! Oh and no need to seal it.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

There is no conventional grout used in this backsplash. I used silicone caulk (very messy) and then wiped off the excess with lots of lacquer thinner. The result is a highly flexible surface and since there is really no solid connection between the tiles I am not afraid
of anything cracking or coming loose. Oi used the same silicone caulk to glue down the tile to the wall surface. Been on almost a year with absolutely no change seen, lots of miles. Same with the bathroom countertop and backsplash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-646407749.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	48205   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1421953802.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	48206  

Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Very nice looking job! I bet that cleanup of the silicone was a messy job!