Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #1

coach batteries

Does anyone know how to access the house batteries except by crawling under the stairs? I have a damon daybreak 06. All batteries are dead everytime we try to start the coach is it is in storage over 5 weeks.
turtle2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I have a 2001 Damon Daybreak and the batteries can be accessed by 1 hinged step. It's easy.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #3

thanks, I'll check for that!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The top step did flip open. That was our problem. The connections weren't good.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Glad it worked! It's a B when things don't work. My gen won't start. I think it is electrical. I'm having the coach worked on tomorrow. I'll add that to the list.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBritt View Post
I have a 2001 Damon Daybreak and the batteries can be accessed by 1 hinged step. It's easy.

I love the top step for service, but they could have made it a little wider so the batteries could be taken out through the step instead of dropping the batteries to the ground and dragging them from under the motorhome. I have owned my 07 since late in 06, and this is the first time I have removed the house batteries for winter.

I built a shelf between the gararge doors, big enough for 2, 6 volt house batteries(mine) and one 12 volt house battery(father in-law's).Then I bought a 1.5 amp battery charger/ maintainer and connected to them all. It took three days for the lot to reach full charge so I bought a second for the 6 volt batteries. May even go to three maintainers, well see how it goes.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Sounds good!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #8

I replaced the coach batteries in my 03 Intruder last winter- It was brutal getting the old batteries out and new in. Looking for any suggestions on an easier way than brute force. What do you all do? Jacks? ??

Thanks,

Harry

2003 Damon Intruder 350
lionel_046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel_046 View Post
I replaced the coach batteries in my 03 Intruder last winter- It was brutal getting the old batteries out and new in. Looking for any suggestions on an easier way than brute force. What do you all do? Jacks? ??

Thanks,

Harry
Harry,

I lowered mine from the battery tray to the ground with a 1/4 inch rope. Then my 24 yo son dragged them from under the coach and hand trucked them to the garage and lifted them with brute force to the shelf in the garage.

I am looking for some kind of tripod that can hold the weight and gain some mechanical advantage next year.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Yep, that's pretty much what I did except it was me & the DW. Also, looking for an easier way. I'm wondering if the access hole through the top step could be cut out to accomadate one battery removal. This is one of those where there has to be a better way.

Harry

2003 Damon Intruder 350
lionel_046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #11

Chet,
I'd be interested in what resolved your generator issue. On my Challenger 377, the gen set won't start from either the dashboard or generator switches.
Paul
Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Apparently it was a corroded cable and the shop fixed it and it works fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2468 View Post
Does anyone know how to access the house batteries except by crawling under the stairs? I have a damon daybreak 06. All batteries are dead everytime we try to start the coach is it is in storage over 5 weeks.

With all the electronics in these coaches now-a -days, there is always some drain on the batteries. Although I can put my coach away for the winter, roughly October to April hit the battery disconnect on the way out the door and still be able to start the coach in the spring. I also started this year, taking the house batteries out and keeping them in the garage on a battery maintainer, I use a Shumacher Automatic 1.5-AMP Battery Charger/Maintainer Model SE-1562A.
They are all over the internet for $37 dollars or more but I got mine at Wally world for under $20. According to the owners manual it has
Automatic voltage detection for 6 or 12 volt batteries, Automatic Temperature compensation, thermal runnaway protection and desulfation mode.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
cant you plug into the house to keep them charged.
P&K812 is offline   Reply With Quote