RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #1

I am in the middle of replacing the front compartment carpet with laminate hardwood flooring. Will put together a long post with pictures once the job is completed. For those curious: the subfloor (under the carpet) is half inch OSB. Carpet is stapled down with no glue and the little patch of hardwoord in front of the kitchen cabinets is nailed down with brad nails. No glue. Intention right now is to gleu and nail the new flooring so as to avoid squeaks.
Also lost the dinette (booth) and am replacing them with table and chairs.
Wish me luck.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #2

I am in the middle of replacing the front compartment carpet with laminate hardwood flooring. Will put together a long post with pictures once the job is completed. For those curious: the subfloor (under the carpet) is half inch OSB. Carpet is stapled down with no glue and the little patch of hardwoord in front of the kitchen cabinets is nailed down with brad nails. No glue. Intention right now is to gleu and nail the new flooring so as to avoid squeaks.
Also lost the dinette (booth) and am replacing them with table and chairs.
Wish me luck.

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have slides? If so I will be interested in how you work around them

Good luck!

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:01 AM   #4

No slides, although I wish I had em. Next MH will I guarantee it!

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I did this very thing also, and found pretty much as you have described. One comment only, just go slow and 'measure-twice' before cutting 'once' and you should be okay. I did not glue the laminate floor part down, but made it a 'floor' and anchored it at the step-up in the entry doorway. We are quite pleased with our results. I have no doubt you will be okay.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #6

OK, here's a question for the brains around here (and it would be a lot easier if I'd just post the **** pictures):

We did away with the dinette (booth) and are installing a table and chairs. I need to put a railing in from the corner of the entrance stairs to the wall be the entrance door to keep the inebriated from falling down the stairs backwards when sitting at the table. I haven't been able to figure out how to fasten it to the floor so that it is strong enough to use as a grab rail when entering and exiting the coach. Thought of coming up from underneath with some really long lag bolts but if you have ever looked underneath near the stairs there isn't a whole lot of room. Thought about a brass railing bolted to the floor with a flange but, not strong enough. This is a wife thing so I have to come with something reasonably cheap but, looks good. Ideas welcome. Thanks.

By the way the floor is about 3/4 finished. Looking great. I AM taking my time. Been a while since I did deep knee bends all day and I wasn't moving to swift after last weekend.

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 AM   #7

OK Matt, I will give you some picture incentive. I have a factory Table on my unit next to the stairs. If you post your pics, I will post some of the Damon handrail on my unit. Sort of sounds like bribery, oh well.

Sam
Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #8

Here you go.

Sam
Old 05-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #9

Not to put a bad spin on it, butkinda ugly ain't it. I am trying to get high dollar look but, I think I will most likely end up going that way. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.

Have a great Memorial day, remember that it's not just a day off and thank a vet. Even as messed up as it seems to be it's still the greatest country on earth and the vets helped keep it that way.

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am trying to get high dollar look </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you might have bought the wrong motorhome.

Sam
Old 05-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #11

You know, Champaigne taste, Beer budget . Thinking about an Oak Railing to match the flooring. Only problem is anchoring the newell post so it is sturdy enough to use as a helper when coming in.

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #12

A Newell post is going to look strange in a motorhome. If you have the woodworking skills you could duplicate the railing I have in Oak. Get some 1x4 material and glue them up in the same shape with them doubled up, then cut it out and route the edges with a round over bit. Carry one of them down 4 inches and attach a 2 inch piece at a right angle to duplicate the L bracket attachment point.

Sam
Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #13

I finally finished the project. The pictures are located here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattbode1/RVFloorProject

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #14

The Floor/Rail looks Great! Good job.
I am in the middle of reworking my floors. Thinking of replacing the oak laminate with real oak/Ply combo 3/8" thick prefinished, all the way up to the front. Then spraying a truck bed type liner on the doghouse (engine cover) for a non slip surface.
Thanks for the pics.

Jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote