Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #15

Tmcfaul

Thank you for your response and info. We are trying to sell our 2015 Winnebago View to get a little bit more space with the Avanti 3106.

Yesterday we test-drove a 2011 and we liked it over all except for the noisy acceleration so we are holding out for the 2012 which supposedly has some noise reduction measure and exhaust brakes.

Btw, pardon my ignorance but what is TMC?

McFauls, USAF/USA Ret
tmcfaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #16

Hi! TMC is Thor Motor Coach (Corp)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcfaul1 View Post
Btw, pardon my ignorance but what is TMC?

McFauls, USAF/USA Ret
Great Question!
Thor RV Industries is many, many brands like Dutchman, DRV Luxury Suites, Airstream, etc...and the list included Damon (like the thread title here) FourWinds, and Mandalay Luxury Coach until 2012.
See: https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/

In 2012 Thor RV merged all their motorhome brands into 1 brand, dubbed Thor Motor Coach - or TMC for short.

Since then Thor RV added Entegra Coach and Jayco to the portfolio, so there are actually 3 Thor RV motorhome brands. As with all the Thor RV brands, each brand has several lines.

I often add this history in my posts, because it helps folks understand the changes that took place after the recession and there is an unfortunate segment of the public that slam all Thor products based on 1 experience they had with a RV before changes.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #18

Thanks for the thorough explanation.
tmcfaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #19

Hello, we have an 2011 Avanti 2806 model. We flew out to Oregon one December and raced back to Maryland to beat the snow storms. About 500 miles per day for 6 days (averages 13.1 to 14.2 mpg) having never driven an "A" before (not a problem with the 2806). We like it very, very much and it is perfect for us. But, it is loud up front and when the engine's fan comes on it will throw you out the door. The transmission sometimes slips between gears and is very loud. The unit is under powered going up mountains and I don't think you can tow a frog with it. But, we hope to do so and just drive the car up the hills when necessary. When we found that we needed to replace an engine air conditioner fuse we now have more airconditioning up front than we need - a very good thing. Don't need to run the generator for additional airconditioning while traveling. Had taken the MH to Cummins and also Allison to program it for more power. They could not get the power I asked for so they put it back to normal settings - I hope for now it only gets 13.1 mpg. There is something they could upgrade the transmission with but the head traveling Allison advisor would not support that idea. Our unit is 200 hp but some may be 220 hp and I don't know why. There are two objections to this 2806 unit. The rear bed is a little too small and short. The worst thing about the unit is the small side window openings up front - you struggle to get your head outside. Would I purchase one again? Yes, if there is more power to be found. Why? Because the unit is beautiful, fits our parking area, and there is no problem driving in towns - we do it all the time when traveling for it is only 28' 9" long. You will adjust and get over the small issues. It is a pleasure to drive being less wide and lower in height. We had visited Hershey week motorhome show in PA before deciding on a MH. We made a list of 5 things we must have in a MH then went home to look for a good used unit. Found this one (having none of the 5 things ha, ha) for about half of its original suggested price of $143.500 I think with only 11,000 miles on it. Today you can get them for 65,000 - 85,000. Good luck with your purchase.
Ty Stinson
Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #20

Reid, I am looking at a 2009 Avanti 3106 with MaxxForce 5 diesel. I like the coach even though older. I understand you have same. Could you comment on your overall experience with MaxxForce 5 diesel? I see a lot of materials on the web with negative comments about EGR related power loss problems. Any feedback appreciated. Also how much 'fix it' repairs did you have to do to eventually make the coach right? Thanks
sw183938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Traded Avanti

While we loved our Avanti, engine concern led to our trading it in October 2018.

On the way home from our annual Florida winter vacation, we were traveling in second from right lane of 4-lane interstate when red engine light came on and about 15 seconds later the engine shut down....with no power...no flashers, turn signals, power steering. Cars flying by and a lot of honking as I coasted into right lane and then onto shoulder. I had read somewhere that the engine used some of the water in the overflow container and that would signal an overheating engine (though it really wasn't)..and an engine shutdown. The radiator cap was so tight that I couldn't completely remove it. I removed rubber overflow hose and elevated it so I could pour water into a funnel an tank. Doing this allowed me to get back on the road. The same thing happened two more times though not as dangerous. I then began to add water every time we stopped.
Took Avanti to International Truck dealer after returning home. After a couple of weeks of tests and assessment...and $4500.00, the problem was fixed. The exhaust gas recirculation unit was completely plugged and had to be replaced.
While the motorhome was now back to fully operational, we decided to look for a replacement. We downsized to a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24 FE Mercedes Sprinter.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #22

Reid, thanks for your response. It is very helpful. One more question if you don't mind. Is there a preventative maintenance or regular inspection/cleaning that could have avoided the dangerous situation you had to endure? I just wonder what the diesel experts might have told you that would have mitigated the risk. What do they recommend outside of the expensive failure/repair you were your forced to do. Any feedback appreciated.
sw183938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #23

Hello, if you look above you will see my posting by STINSON. This followup is to say we drove our Avanti 2806 from Maryland to the Gulf Coast area of Florida and back with no problem at all, pulling our 2014 manual jeep 2-door all four down. Well, there were no very high mountains going there so perhaps that is the reason for no issues. But, if there were, my wife would have just driven the jeep where necessary.
Good luck with your selection.
Stinsons
Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Ref query on. whether routine maintenance might have prevented the problems we had. I did or had all maintenance done though there was nothing specfically for the part that had to be replaced. After buying the Avanti and looking at maintenance manuel I saw that there was a switch to activate the regeneration system ...but there was no switch on the dash. I searched under the dash and found it. I then cut a hole and installed it. I occasionally heard the engine speed up (but not speed of travel) which was the automatic regeneration but pushing the switch for a regeneration never seemed to work. Hope this answers your questions
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Avanti 2806 slide-out question.

Anyone with an Avanti Model 2806 with a full body (18ft) slide-out can you please look for something I found on my 2011 Model:

In the front (just behind the drivers seat), the TOP slide-out rack has 5 screws on top and 5 screws on the bottom holding the rack to the slide box.

On the rear, TOP slide-out rack has three screws on the bottom and 2 screws on the top (only half as many as on the front top rack).

Lippert repair manual shows an equal number of screws for each rack.

Can you look on your 2806 slide-out and tell me if the rear rack has 5 or 10 screws?

Thanks is advance

John Cawley
Avanti2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #26

Hello, we just solved the 200 to 220 HP issue. This HP is achieved with the original 520 lbs of torque for both the 200 and the different 220 HP engines. However, Cummins just boosted our 200 HP engine to 260 HP. This could only be done due to our Allison MH 1000 being built for the MY 08-10 that could go up to 660 lb-ft. This was determined by the S/N 6310987369. The "8" figure placement determines the MY dates.

520 lb-ft (01-05 MY)
565 lb-ft (05 MY)
650 lb-ft (06-07 MY)
660 lb-ft (08-10 MY)
765 lb-ft (11+ MY)

This was recommended and increased by Cummins for a cost of $505.77 so we hope towing up hills with the additional torque will solve the under power issue - but may not be positive for MPG.
Stinson
Old 01-21-2022, 10:25 PM   #27

How much of a difference did the tune make? When you say you took it to Cummins, can you be more specific. Looking to do the same thing to mine.
Jasonw5100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Ref query on. whether routine maintenance might have prevented the problems we had. I did or had all maintenance done though there was nothing specfically for the part that had to be replaced. After buying the Avanti and looking at maintenance manuel I saw that there was a switch to activate the regeneration system ...but there was no switch on the dash. I searched under the dash and found it. I then cut a hole and installed it. I occasionally heard the engine speed up (but not speed of travel) which was the automatic regeneration but pushing the switch for a regeneration never seemed to work. Hope this answers your questions

Where specifically did you find the switch? I have looked everywhere and can’t locate it?
Jasonw5100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon