RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #1

Picked up my 04 Intruder (new to me) about month ago, little more, and it's been stored ever since. Noticed the coach batteries are low, and not holding charge as I feel they should.

When opening the stairwell hatch and viewing, is there a way to tell if the batteries are the orignal or not? Are there any notifiable marks on factory batteries? Mine have the red spray paint on the lugs and look "factory". If so, then at close to 4 years, used or not, they probably need to be yanked. ....and If yanked, has anyone had success with any particular type? I am eyeing the Glass Mat? style, but my wallet says yikes.

Again, just wondering if these may be OEM by what I described. No dates or stickers on them either.

Also, just switched over to the 18" steering wheel from the smaller black "chevy truck" wheel, Wow, big difference!

2004 Damon Intruder 369/W22
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #2

Commish, Can't help a lot with the batteries, but would guess they are original. Congrats on your "new to you" coach. We just got our 04 last Oct. and it's "new to us". I have a trickle charger on the coach batteries because the cold temps here in PA are hard on them. Pretty certain mine are original and will probably need replaced soon. John H....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #3

Hi Commish! I agree with John. The batteries are probably original. I would do a voltage check and a specific gravity check to see if they are ok or just undercharged. My house batteries are original and they will finally get replaced this year. The gravity between the cells is finally starting to show their age.
Personally, I would stay with the regular lead acid battery. They work well and are still the least expensive option. I don't think the extra price could be justified for any other type of battery (unless you find yourself upside down often!)

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #4

Chandler/John H, thank you very much. I appreciate the insight as a newbie here in the world of transportable fiberglass, aka RV'n.

I did as you suggested and checked further, they are original and were having some issues holding charge. I ordered two T-125's from Trojan Distributor here in Louisiana and will get them Friday AM delivered to my office...not bad for service!

Anyway, I will change those two out along with my extensive weekend project list on the Intruder including:

New Batteries
Rear Sway Bar
Front Sway Bar
Front Steering Stabilizer
Front Trac Bar
Oil Change
Fuel Filter Change (OEMY's New Style)
Install SSC Workhorse Gauge Cluster (my Actia has horrible output on the odometer so I found a NIB SSC style that I had calibrated to my odometer, Actia wanted twice as much to repair mine plus shipping)
Koni FSD's all the way around

....So I got a busy weekend no doubt. Also have alot of cabinet parts to fix, few other things to do to her this weekend interior-wise. It was a bank repo and has been sitting for a little while, but in ridiculously good shape, just needs some undercarriage love. Kind of thinking this storage was the downfall of the battery system probably.

Thanks again for your insight

Ron

Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #5

One thing you should have done first was to clean all the battery connections. This needs to be done at least once a year. My original 6 volt 2004 batteries are still going strong but they have been properly maintained.

When you pull out the batteries carefully inspect the battery tray. Damon just tack welds these and they usually brake loose... I bolted mine. This is something else that should be cleaned and painted at least every two years.

If you have a Progressive Dynamics converter make sure it has a charge wizard, if not, get one. With the wizard you can and should leave the unit plugged in 24/7. Don't forget to check the battery water level at least once a month.

If you want to dry camp read some of my previous threads as Damon's converter wiring is less than ideal.

Sam
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #6

Thanks! Good stuff, indeed.

Yes, I did check the cleanliness of the battery area, and it was up to par. This unit sat from May of 07 basically until I drove it home from Texas in Mid-January. So I am pretty sure just the down time probably killed them, or cut their lives short.

I will check the tray, definately clean and pop a few holes and bolt it to the frame. Good info.

I do have a question though for you you Hurricaner. Where would I find the Progressive Dynamics piece, whereabouts on the Coach, and also are you suggesting that it stay "plugged in" to pole power/home power 24/7? If so, I cannot do that at this time, but hope so in the near future with a move in storage facilities.

I've got a small solar panel on the roof, but is cracked and dried out very badly, not sure if it's hooked up, etc. and intend on replacing it most probably. It looks factory, 12" square maybe with some small metal legs off of each corner. It looks like those that folks mount to their A/C covers sometimes.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #7

Commish, the Progressive Dynamics is / should be in the bay with the power cord...at least it is in my Challenger. It is a smart battery charger. With the Charge Wizard, the unit senses the state of charge and will keep the voltage where it needs to be without overcharging or boiling the batteries. It is meant to allow you to leave the unit plugged in. Mine has been plugged in 24/7 since I bought it with the exceptions of my dry camping trips. If yours in in a different location, hopefully someone will help out.

Sam, good to see you! It's been a while!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #8

In addition to what Chandler said, it looks like this.

Sam
Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #9

Leave it to Sam to provide a picture!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #10

It should also have one of these plugged into it.

Sam
Old 03-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #11

Ok, weekend of "under" the Coach is done. I've got the progressive dynamics unit and managed among all the other items, to change the batteries to the Trojan T125's today as well.

Thanks guys for the input. I was truly a learning weekend for me. I got what you call "an education" on my coach this weekend while working on it.

Also, put the Koni's on....Wow. It's a whole different RV with these.

thanks again for the input.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi guys

I have a 2001 Damon Daybreak over here in the UK, does the Progressive Dynamics smart charger charge the starting battery when the RV is connected to the mains power and when the Gen Set is run, if not is it possible to wire it in.

It does say in the user manual that it can charge more than on battery, I have mailed the company but did not receive a reply.

Many thanks
Delbert21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #13

Hi Delbert 21

I have a 2003 Intruder. The tech support guy that used to be at Damon - Jeff - absolutely assured me that when plugged into the mains power that both the coach and house batteries were being charged. As I alway have had my Intruder plugged into mains power when not driving, well over a year now, and never had a low battery problem, I assume that he is correct. I would also assume that the generator does the same. Lot of assumptions here, but hopefully some accuracy as well. Harry

2003 Damon Intruder 350
lionel_046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
lionel_046

Thanks for the info, will need to do some further checking in that case, RV is stored away from the house in a lorry (truck) park, unfortunately at the moment without any shore power, now that the weather over hear is getting warmer will have to bring it home and get out the test meter.

Many thanks
Delbert21 is offline   Reply With Quote