Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

damon intruder-2003

Are coni shocks really the best option for our Motor Home? From all the posts we are reading they seem to be the best. We recently purchased a 2003 Damon Intruder and although it only has 26,000 miles on it, the ride is very rough. If we put them in the front do we need to put them in the back also?
dilarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

I have a 2003 Intruder. When I bought it in 06 with 9000 miles it rode rough and porpoised terribly. I put on 4 Koni's. The ride was improved and it stopped the porpoise completely. I am satisfied with the Konis

2003 Damon Intruder 350
lionel_046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

lionel-046 Thanks again for your reply. We also have a slight vibration that is noticed on the sofa and tv when driving between 55 and 60. We have all new tires and they look fine.....any thoughts on what could cause the vibration??
Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #4

If it is a bother I would have front end alignment and balance checked. Class As will pick up a lot more road bouce, etc than with a car or light tuck.

2003 Damon Intruder 350
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #5

Do you notice that in your Damon when driving? This is our first MH so we really don't know what is normal and what is not. My husband says he feels like he is "over steering" and there is too much play in the steering wheel also. We sometimes think we should have bought a newer MH and maybe we would have less issues. I really don't know if the newer ones are any better......... I hate to think we are putting money into a never ending repair thing with this MH...... new or used which is better??
Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #6

Driving as motor home takes some getting used to. If you take your hands off the wheel & it continues along fairly straight, thats about the best you can expect. There are a lot of aftermaket upgrades available to assist steering and ride - see forum about sway bars, etc. I added the Koni shocks & steer safe & am pretty happy with the drive and ride. All things considered I would still go used - new ones have problems and the depreciation is a lot more that the repairs to get a used the way you want it. FWIW, I also added a tire pressure monitor & scan gauge II to my Damon - very happy with both. Good luck.

2003 Damon Intruder 350
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

Thanks Harry. We ordered the Koni shocks yesterday. Whew! sticker shock! If it helps it will be worth it. We are then going to see if it needs alignment. I think you are right about used versus new. New ones have a hefty price tag. We bought this MH from a friend who can't drive it anymore due to illness so it has a lot of sentimental value to us. I will let you know when we get the shocks on! Take care!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #8

Well it has taken me a while to get back to this, but shocks are on and yes there is a huge improvement with porpoising and the back and forth sway. Much better! There is some improvement with the bumps in the road but still notice them. Still noticing the slight vibration in the coach when driving so we need to check that out next. The mechanic who installed our Koni shocks looked things over while he was under there and said everything looks pretty good to him so at least he didn't find anything major.
Lightning struck our home satellite Friday night and now the tv in the front of the mh won't turn on at all. We want to take it out and replace it anyway but don't know how to get it out of that cabinet. Any info on how to do that??
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

Hi, glad the shocks are an improvement. Sorry about the TV. Are you sure the tv problem is not a tripped breaker? I have not changed out the TV but if you seach this forum and/or rv net there are a lot of how tos on changing out the TVs.

Harry

2003 Damon Intruder 350
Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Wink TV Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilarson View Post
Well it has taken me a while to get back to this, but shocks are on and yes there is a huge improvement with porpoising and the back and forth sway. Much better! There is some improvement with the bumps in the road but still notice them. Still noticing the slight vibration in the coach when driving so we need to check that out next. The mechanic who installed our Koni shocks looked things over while he was under there and said everything looks pretty good to him so at least he didn't find anything major.
Lightning struck our home satellite Friday night and now the tv in the front of the mh won't turn on at all. We want to take it out and replace it anyway but don't know how to get it out of that cabinet. Any info on how to do that??

My husband removed the TV from our 1998 Daybreak. He took the face trim off first. It was held by 3 upholstered button-snaps. Very carefully, pry those covers off. Do not go in too far or you will damage the screw holding the other half of the snap. Once the trim is removed, the TV is accessible. It was held in by 4 screws through 4 L-shaped brackets; two on top, one on each side. Very easy removal.

He says "Don't forget to disconnect the power cord and the co-ax before you walk away with the TV."
Igger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #11

Thanks! We will give this a try
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #12

Well we got the TV out.....not too bad. The TV is toast so we will have to get a new one. What are thoughts on replacing this tv?? Do we put one back like we had or do we try to find a flat screen and re-build the cabinet to fit?? My hubby is not handy in this area and not sure who I can get to do this,,,,,,Help
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #13

you wont find an old style tv any more. you will have to get a flat screen. i did ,it leaves a space on the bottom but i filled it in with a piece of smoked plexiglass.
lavita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Have a look at this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/tv-install-94450.html

Maybe it will give you some ideas,
Igger is offline   Reply With Quote