Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

Damon Intruder 373 - The best floor plan?

All,

I would love to read your comments and opinions on the 2003-2006 Damon Intruders (specifically model 373). The abnormally large bedroom in this model stands out to me as one of the best spaces to use as an office in a Class A MH. I would add a futon style bed so the entire room could be utilized during the day.

I have read quite a few comments on this forum and others praising the Intruders. These comments combined with a rare floor plan lead me to believe these rigs are a great affordable option for full time use. My wife and I will be looking to purchase one from the model years 2003-2006 for around $30k in the coming year.

Just a few questions:

Are there any specific issues I should be concerned about with the Intruders?

What mileage range should I be looking for on a rig that is around 12 y/o?

If you were to purchase a 12 y/o rig, what would be the first components that you would replace/upgrade?

Thanks // libertad
libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
7-9 MPG on our M375 Ford. If the one that you are looking at has a Workhorse chassis and the Chevy V8 you may get better than ours.
Also add the steering stabilizer if it doesn't have one. Check the condition of the shocks and if you still get tail wagging you may want to add an Aux Stabilizer bar in the rear.
We took out the carpet in the LR abd Wardrobe and replaced with a laminate floating floor.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #3

[attach]143223
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160622_171301.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	143223  
Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #4

That is a beautiful coach.. Thanks for the advice.

I am planning on going with the WH chassis and replacing the carpet as you did along with much of the furniture. As we look to purchase soon, how many miles would you say are too many on a 373 that is say 12 years old?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

Most gassers have a usable life of 100-150k miles. Most full time RVrs put about 10-15k miles per year on average.
Based on those numbers and how you plan to drive it figure out how long you can go with it. Most RV Chassis/Engine combinations will outlast the coaches that they support.
Hope that helps and good hunting! 😆
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #6

One caveat is that if you are meticulous about your care for the RV you can go longer than the numbers that I posted above.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

I bought a 2004 Intruder 373 model three years ago. I was looking at almost all options including a DP which I was really planning to get. Although my budget was more than double the 35K I paid, I chose the Intruder mainly because they layout is amazing.

I really love this coach and it turned out to be a great choice

Here are my thoughts
-- driving slowly and sensibly, I can usually get 8-10mpg average according to the idiot display (7.5-8 when I do the math. Its better than my previous class C)

-- Its got a big butt! meaning... there is a lot hanging out past the rear wheel. You'll learn how to watch that rear when you turn and backup.

-- great amount of storage underneath.

-- love the dual AC's. Love the large water tank and propane tank. Its nice. Everything is big, including the 70+ gallon gas tank.

-- there are some cheap components inside that you can easily upgrade. Like knobs and handles. They are cheap but easily fixed. The backup camera is b/w, so you'll want to get that changed to color. Of course the drawer guides are plastic so you should get a few spares.

-- I save a bunch of money on the purchase so I had the decals remove and painted on. It was a big upgrade in the looks.

-- look out for the windshield. Some of them don't sit in there quite right. The previous owner had it reset before I got it and now I just have to put some silicone around it to stop the leaking.

-- It desperately needs an upgraded TV/entertainment center. Again, you'll save a fortune buying this rig, so spend a little and upgrade that too.

-- Lastly, I noticed on mine that the bolt on hitch in the rear was a bit stressed from towing. I had the removed and then had a much better hitch welded on. While the welder was there, I had him reinforce the welds between the frame and the rear frame extensions. I tow a 4K+ lb enclosed trailer... no problems, no fear of the rear end sagging.

-- see one of my other threads for the reasonably priced brake job I had done.

-- check for the recalls, there's a couple.

Enjoy the rig, its a nice one.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

Intruder Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertad View Post
I have read quite a few comments on this forum and others praising the Intruders. These comments combined with a rare floor plan lead me to believe these rigs are a great affordable option for full time use. My wife and I will be looking to purchase one from the model years 2003-2006 for around $30k in the coming year.

Just a few questions:

Are there any specific issues I should be concerned about with the Intruders?

What mileage range should I be looking for on a rig that is around 12 y/o?

If you were to purchase a 12 y/o rig, what would be the first components that you would replace/upgrade?

Thanks // libertad
We really like our 2003 Indruder 373! We bought it about 2 years ago, it had about 42,000 miles on it. There is an Indruder floorplan that is a bit better (in my opinion) ....the 391. It is harder to find. Check it out here with this 2005 literature. https://thormotorcoach.com/image/dat...5_intruder.pdf

I would recommend a 2004 or 2005 models as the Workhorse chassis used is the W24 with 22.5 inch wheels. The W22 chassis (19.5 inch wheels) was used in prior years. . The W22 is a good chassis, but it did have at least 2 recalls. The important one is for the brake caliper assemblies. If you intend to purchase a 2003, make sure that recall campaign has been completed. You should find the appropriate yellow sticker "under the hood" next to one of the relay boxes.

Another issue that many have had is the GM 8.1 engine has problems with the cast iron exhaust manifold cracking (leaking). The best solution is to replace the cast iron manifolds with welded tubular stainless (Banks Torque Tube units. This is what we did. Cost was $1250 for Banks Headers and $560 for installation.

Gas mileage is similar to what others have reported...7 to 8.6 on our unit. The Alison transmission is a great unit and should give NO problems. Change the fluid and spin-on filter as required using the recommended synthetic fluid.

We added AIR LIFT bags and KONI shocks to the front axle (the rear had AIR LIFTs. Also a "Safe T Steer" steering stabilizer was self installed.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #9

373W

We bought a 2005 Intruder 373W earlier this year because we loved the floor plan. My wife sometimes wants a comfy spot to sit and sew, away from the goings on in the living room. The rear bedroom is great with the extra room, seating and large windows, we haven't found any other class A we like as much.

Ours had 36,000 miles, full body paint and was in very good mechanical condition. The big question for me was the windshield, the top passenger side was popped out of the seal. I researched the problem before I bought the coach and knew it was a common problem. We liked it so much I took a chance on it and bought it. We had the local glass people reseat the passenger side windshield but it didn't look very good. It was in the seal but wasn't even with the fiberglass, looked like it would pop out again. I got on their case and they redid it. They had to grind the opening in the body to get the windshield to seat fully in position. I believe it will be good now. We have had it out several times this year and we really love out Intruder.

tallbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #10

Beautiful looking coach!
Old 11-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Thank you all for the great info! The more I see and read about the 373, the more excited I get to purchase one. I will be looking for a 2004-05 with the W24 chassis.

How close are you all to hitting the GVWR of 22k on these coaches? Do you find yourselves close to the limit or is there weight to spare?

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #12

We hit about 20K, but we do not "fulltime"...we pack for maybe a week or so. There is only two of us and two dogs, 38lbs and 27lbs.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #13

I full time in my 2003 373. This has been a great first coach! I am always looking at newer coaches and seem to always come out with the feeling that what I have is as good or better. I have the Workhorse W22 8.1 Vortec chassis. Honestly, I pass diesel pushers up hill all the time. Find myself cruising well over 70 without knowing it. Yes, the tail wags so I recommend a rear axle stabilizer for sure.
Windshield? Yes, it's a constant issue for me it seems. Just need to find the right fix.
Dash? Get a GPS so you can actually see what speed you are going as the dash lies just behind the view of the steering wheel. In other words, you can't hardly see the dash.
I do recommend this coach for the value. Master bedroom is wonderful. I upgraded TVs and now have a 42" in the front as well as the bedroom.
Going on my third year full timing in this coach. I am actively now looking for a larger one.

Towed my Mini for two years. Easy peasy.

Then my dual sport.

tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #14

Tacking,
What carrier are you using for your motorcycle. I have a couple of bikes and am considering putting one on the back of the Intruder as well as towing my Subaru.
tallbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon