Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

Damon Outlaw oil fill cap?

Getting my 2009 ready to move down south for the winter, and discovered my oil fill cap was missing.

Went to the Auto Zone, asked for a 6.8L Triton V10 oil fill cap from appropriate year, and it does not fit.

Anyone have any idea what the oil fill cap looks like? I'm guessing the oil fill stem is and aftermarket extension from the factory engine?
bobbystand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Thor would be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Rfstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest you go to the Ford truck dealer in your area...The 6.8L Triton V10 in your F53 RV Chassis is a Medium duty Truck set-up and has the E-X-T-R-A long filler tube and dip stick. Very different from the one in the Ford pick-up and van motor

I doubt Thor has this on hand in their parts list.

BTW, for lots of Outlaw Owner specific stuff see:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html
and
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...es-149108.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

Call a ford truck shop they should have a part number. Do you have any idea how long it has been missing. Read some where of a guy who had his missing and thought nothing of it. Then one day oil pressure dropped. He would stop and pressure would come back up. Long story short ended up blowing the engine up. When they were replacing it they found little nuts like tree nuts in the oil pan that is what caused the pressure the drop and the engine to blow.
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #5

Thats frightening. I've only been pulling out of storage to run systems every couple months for the past year, so have assumed it goes back to last oil change, and cap was forgotten.

I've been finding little nut casings in weird places: bottom drawer of the wardrobe, in between couch cushions. I sure hope the little critters smelled oil and stayed away from that hole.

Or even worse, maybe critters have figured out the fill cap...
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the short term...you could cap the oil filler pipe by forming a cap of aluminium foil folded over a few times to make it thick and secure with a thick rubber band. The foil is heat proof, until you can get a new cap.

Besides critters and bugs, I would also be concerned about moisture.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

Part # is 1L3Z6766AA if anyone else has this problem, and it seems at least one other has.

Going to tie the thing to the stem and see if it is working itself out.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

I had the same problem with my 2012. Autozone does not carry the correct item. O'Reilly's had the correct sized cap.
Pacman22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon