RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looked at a new 08 40' Tuscany today...great price, really nice floor plan, but I was concerned with the fit and finish of their bay doors....none were aligned properly...also, with the slide out on the passanger side, the kitchen cabinets appeared to be at an angle, and the plastic around the drivers cockpit, especially were the ignition key was, is unimpressive....looked at a second one, and the fit and finish of the bay doors was slightly better, but still not what I would consider good...what experiences have you current owners had in regards to these types of issues. I do see one post where there was a complaint about water in the front storage bay...I can see why on the 2 I looked at!!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
We have a 2007 4055 and absolutely love it. We've had only one minor issue (a few cabinet doors were not sanded before they were installed - Damon had every door replaced in the coach) and no other items.

We've put 16K miles on the coach so far in 20 months. We definitely feel we got our money's worth and the coach is put together very well. And we've talked with so many other Damon owners we've spoken to that have similar responses to the same question.
I explain it this way to every one. The Tiffin/Newmar/Monaco coaches we looked were absolutely beautiful and were rock solid. In our minds they were the Cadillac Escalades of the group. The Tuscany is just as nice and just as well put together but was much less. In my mind it was the GMC Yukon Denali. They are essentially the same coach with the same amenities just less money.
We just got back from Washington DC (went to the Inauguration) and spent 10 days in very cold weather. No freezing, no water in the bays at all (we live in Florida and get rained on a lot) and the coach is just wonderful.

I’d give it a big thumbs up and buy it if you like it.

And I hate the ignition key as well, but because the key pokes me in the knee when I move around while driving…
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info Sean....glad to hear you have been pleased with the MH. We are still thinking about it...definatly alot of bang for the buck, but I was concerned with the issues I mentioned on the 2 we looked at. Frankly, I am surprised the dealer did not fix the bay doors...and the plastic dash where the key is, is hokey, but it is what it is... It does come down to choices and price point.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #4

The fit and finish on any Damon product I've looked at is very good based on their price point. We have a 2008 Damon Challenger 378 on the ford chassis. Sure, we would like to be in a higher end product, but the only way I can justify spending more is to make the decision to go to high end resorts so we don't get the floor dirty or constantly feel like we should be spending more time cleaning. I have to admit we would like a smoother ride, but that can be fixed also.

The dealers won't fix problems before the sale, since they can get compensated for warranty work and not eat into their slim profits. That's why a detailed, thorough walk through is important before signing a contract.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
but I was concerned with the fit and finish of their bay doors....none were aligned properly...also, with the slide out on the passanger side, the kitchen cabinets appeared to be at an angle, and the plastic around the drivers cockpit, especially were the ignition key was, is unimpressive....looked at a second one, and the fit and finish of the bay doors was slightly better, but still not what I would consider good...what experiences have you current owners had in regards to these types of issues. I do see one post where there was a complaint about water in the front storage bay...I can see why on the 2 I looked at!!!
Are you seriously looking at the Tuscany or are you just trying to slam them? If the ones you looked at are so 'cheezy', they why even consider them at all? You have made similar comments on several forums and I really wonder.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Doc:
Not sure what your talking about, and think you may not know either! Read my second post, a reply to Sean....two down... We are looking at several brands, and my purpose was to see if other Damon owners were satisfied with their coaches, and see if they had similar issues. the fact is, and as I stated, we really liked the floor plan, but the fit of the bay doors was sloppy at best....another poster had complained about water in his front bays....did you send him a post asking if he was slamming Damon??? Even the salesman who was helping us commented on the slide not coming in straight...all can be fixed. Not sure what the purpose of your message is...but the fact is, the forum is created to exchange information, both positive and negative. You comments are offensive to me and not helpful. By the way, what other forum did I post on????? I only post on two forums, and only posted the Damon comments on the Damon forum!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
From the Open Roads forum: From the MH section

"Looking at a Tuscany....would be interested in hearing from current Damon owners regarding their experience with Damon units. There were two things I saw that I was concerned with: the fit and finish of the storage bay doors....they all needed adjustment, and then the dash area where the ignition key goes is really cheezy plastic...other than that loved the floor plan of the 4072... "

Perhaps you forgot about this?
I really don't know how you feel about a product, only what you say about it and each post you make, you are complaining about the poor quality. If that is not a slam, the perhaps my definition and yours of what a slam is are different. I could care less what you buy, if indeed you are shopping. If the coaches you looked at are such poor detail, then take a look at the Tiffin Zephyr, they have a floor plan very close to the Tuscany.
It does not sound like a shopper when you complain about poor quality each time you post.
You are correct in one regard. This is for the exchange of information. The information I was seeking is whether or not you were genuine in you questions.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ahhh...you got me, I forgot I published that message on the open roads forum...I guess that qualifies as posting on several other forums, as you stated....again, explain to me why you think it is slamming a manufacturer to question issues you see with a coach, or that my statemes are slamming that manufacturer, or that my questions "aren't genuine"....out my posts (both of them) what exactly constitutes slamming? Now, for some facts.....we have looked at several brands...each had features we liked and some we didn't...it's called shopping. We are experienced RV'rs, and have a 2001 MH, and alot has changed since then! If I ask questions or express concerns about various brands on a forum, I am looking for feedback,
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's get away from the personal comments, which are not permitted by our rules.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you disagree, you can challenge the opinion, but not the person.

From our rules in part;

Quote:

Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all be nice. If you come across any violations to these guidelines or have any problems navigating the site, do not hesitate to let us know through the Forums Contact Form. We'll be happy to address your concerns. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way toward making this an enjoyable place.

* Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.

* We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Dirk:
I agree and do try to be courteous in all my posts.... however, I really took offense to the tone of his posting, and still don't understand his point...I tried hard not to be personally attacking, just trying to undersand. But, frankly, who cares what he says or thinks....
Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #11

I have a 2009 Tuscany 4072 that I purchased in June of '08. I live in my coach full time and love it. If you go compare coaches, they all have problems regardless of brand or price. Overall I have been extremely pleased with my choice. Some friends of mine who also own a Damon and I recently went to an RV show and looked at coaches priced from 1.7 million and down. On the way home we discussed the pluses and minuses of the coaches we had seen, and we looked at them all. We all decided that there was not a single coach we would have traded for, regardless of price! Coaches are very complex rolling homes, EVERY coach has problems of some kind, none are going to be perfect. First I would suggest talking to the dealer and service people where you are considering purchasing your coach. If you are happy with the dealer and you find a floor plan you like, buy it. You are not going to be happy with everything on your coach. I have found several items on my coach that I think I would have done differently if I had built it, but, I have found similar items on every coach I have looked at. Would I buy another Tuscany, I sure would! Good luck with your decision.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Really tried to buy a new 08 Damon Tuscany today..could not put the deal together...we love the floor plan, and really liked the way it drove....the dealer claimed to be below his cost (factory rebate?), and made it clear, they don't really want trades by quoting very low trade amounts....it's a great market to buy something, but a difficult market too trade. Since we have a nice 01 Monaco Dynasty, we will just stick with our old 2 slide coach for now.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
That is a shame but I guess it is the state of things these days.

When the time comes I'd look at a Damon again. We also have been to several RV shows and still wouldn't trade ours in for another brand or floor plan. We love ours and feel we got our money's worth.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Did you try other dealers, possibly in other states? There are many looking to make deals now. Possibly sell yours on ebay? I am sure you have thought of these but it is what I am going thru now as well.
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote