Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Damon ultrasport owners

I am looking at a 2005 ultrasport and going through the topics on !RV2 I have noticed that either there is no problem with the ultrasport or there are no owner that are willing to talk about what they own.

What I am wondering is, what problems that people are having that own this unit and what the general the opinion is of this MH?

Help is requested in regards to this unit, Please.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

I have a 2003 Ultrasport and love it. We have put on over 40,000 miles since buying it used in 2005.
jrclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

although we own an Escaper, prior to buying it we looked at an ultrasport and notice it had soft floors, it was a 2000,
Ripnfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
I am looking at a 2005 ultrasport and going through the topics on !RV2 I have noticed that either there is no problem with the ultrasport or there are no owner that are willing to talk about what they own.

What I am wondering is, what problems that people are having that own this unit and what the general the opinion is of this MH?

We have a 2005 Ultrasport diesel pusher and we love it. We've not had any problems, it is great to drive and would be good for Full Timer
mbwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Damon shortcommings

We bought our 2000 Escaper last june, not knowing the shortcommings that can be found in it.
The only item that seems to be a common issue is, the rubber boots located on the ball joints. From what I've read/ researched, they seem to be victems of dryrot. At least on the spartan chassis. They're quite costly to have replaced, we wished that we took a closer look at the undercarriage closer, prior to sale. Otherwise we have no regrets and would of bought it anyway.
Good luck and enjoy!
Ripnfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

We have one...love it...no problems
Bige21566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #7

Have a 1999 Damon Ultrasport for almost 10 years now, had to reroute crankcase breather as radiator inhaled oil and we overheated on all hills until I got radiator right out and cleaned everything. Now can challenge all hills in BC (lots) with air conditioning still on. Very economical rig, great soundproofing.
jrd210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We have a 2002 Damon UltraSport. Bought it 4 years ago and enjoying every minute!
Paula28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #9

We've had our '00 Ultrasport since '06. We've travelled a lot in the Mid-Atlantic states, and once to the Dakota Territory. All systems have performed without problem. There was one incident ~ while driving up steep Rt.16 in the Black Hills caused the radiator fluid to tilt away from the FULL SENSOR. We figured this out quickly and got back on the road. We do regular PMs which may account for good operations. While shopping, check the owners' maintenance records/receipts.
ChazzRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:28 AM   #10

We had a 99 Ultrasport and had sooooo many problems with it, we finally unloaded it at an $85k loss.. It was 2 years old when we threw in the towel.
Damon was of no help at all and the dealer could not help either.
Mostly electrical issues from water coming in around the windshield on the drivers side. At one time the entire electrical system shut down on us while we were on the road - yes - it was at night and raining.. :(
The motorhome went back to the dealer a half dozen times for this leak and between them and Damon, they never were able to fix it permanently. I came to find out that the fiberglass front end cap was cut out too large for the windshield and their was a 1" gap between the glass and the bottom of the rubber channel it was supposed to sit in. Their solution was to split that gap 50/50 by lifting and twisting the windshield and then filling it in with RTV silicone. It almost worked - for a week.. The weight of the windshield compressed the RTV on the bottom and ripped it on the top and I got a nice bath while driving it 150 miles home from the campground in the rain.
Then there was the Cat 3126B that consumed coolant to the tune of a gallon every 300-400 miles. It was not leaking externally and it was not going into the oil - it was going out the exhaust. We never got Freightliner to fix it - they kept claiming that it was just fine.. Grrrr... Freightliner also could not fix their digital dashboard that kept resetting the odometer every time the ignition was shut off. They blamed Damon's crummy electrical system.
We had a plastic pressure relief valve on one of the air-brake tanks crack and start leaking after the first winter (Minnesota) and the dealer told us to take it to Freightliner for repairs!
The arm rest fell off the co-pilot's captain's chair on the left side ... It tore the phony UltraLeather on the seat back on its way out.
Then there was the LP gas alert sensor that did not go off when my son bumped the stove on his way out of the coach and the gas ran all night into the coach. Good thing we were not sleeping in it at the time. Dealer shrugged his shoulders on that too and said to call Damon. Ha!
I have more - but am not happy about recounting these experiences and will stop for now..
Well the dealer is no longer in business - they were one of the largest dealerships in the state as well. I'm happy to read that Damon is no longer on their own and hopefully Thor is providing oversight to their manufacturing process..
I wish all the luck in the world to Damon owners out there.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #11

Our '99 Ultrasport is actually performing quite well right now but over the years we have had it, if it were not for the ingenuity of mechanics who would not alternate between blaming Damon and freight liner, we would have given it away. It is akin to an older Cessna 210 we once owned, great machine when running but major headaches and house re-mortgaging when not and mechanics don't like the systems and design.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #12

Just wanted to know if you have experienced any problems with the wiring. We're looking for an electrical diagram but so far haven't found one. I know this post is old, thought you might be keeping in touch and have some valuable input.
Thanks,
Trisha
trisharog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #13

@trisharog---what kind of problems might you be experiencing, we still own our '99 but have had lots of electrical problems, we did find some data online for parts of wiring but I cannot remember where, feel free to email me jrdale@netideadotcome real dot instead.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post

We own a 2005 Ultrasport Diesel 3465 and we love it. The unit has 30,000 miles on it and we have had no problems. It has been in the mountains towing a Jeep Wrangler and has plenty of power to get you there. We get about 9 mpg on most trips but a little less mpg in the mountains. The Motorhome has a 300 Cummins and a 7.5 Diesel Generator all on a Freightliner chassis. We will be selling the Motorhome in the near future due to buying Property and home near Mountian Home Ar. Which is where we normally go for vacation. We have had the Motorhome to the Northeast and into Montana for a few trips and never had a problem.
mbwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon