Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

DamonChallenger 348 2006 electric issues

New to me, this coach started easily on the engine battery. Battery did not seem to run down at all. Sitting in my yard plugged into shore power, the engine battery runs down! If I start the engine (on the aux. batteries), it starts and charges the engine battery! Measured the voltage at the battery, dead! Started and then measured, 14+ volts with engine running! Stop engine, battery measures lower as it has not had enough time to charge off the running engine!
Why after a month or so in the driveway, not connected to shore power, now connected to shore power is the engine battery running down? Cannot think of anything else I have done to cause this!
If someone has a REAL wiring diagram for this coach, I would be most appreciative! The “book” only has sketchy sketch’s!
Bruce39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #2

This one sounds simple enough... Your engine battery has dropped a cell. It happens. Replace the battery. From the sounds of it everything else is doing exactly what it should be doing. Also some rigs will not charge the engine battery with the house batteries. But oddly going the other way the engine alternator will charge the house batteries. My guess is that they have this design because the different battery types would need different charge circuits from the converter.

A battery in good working order will not drop charge in a month without something drawing it. Take the battery to your local parts store and they can test it.

Also make sure while you are in the battery compartment to take the time to clean and check all of your connections.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If your RV has a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (B.I.R.D.) it disconnects the house and chassis battery groups until a charging voltage (+13.7v) is detected. Your description shows your isolation relay isn't working in both directions. I suggest you search your electrical bay and see what you do have and then use Google to search for that unit and then folks on here can help you test it and suggest solutions.

Intellitec makes many types of modules, perhaps you have one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Check your steps did you have them deployed when plugged in see if you hear anything at the steps they are deployed by engine battery.
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon