Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd think that any one who could'nt figure out how to remove the doghouse must be seriously lacking in any kind of mechanical aptitude.
But I'm pretty much a 'do it myself' guy with more tools than many mechanics but I gave up again for about the 4th time. I made up my mind this morning that I was going to get that thing off and go to West Marine and get some nice hatch brackets to put on to make removing it easy.
I failed again. The carpet is glued over the doghouse first. Then the carpet for the rest of the house is glued over or to the carpetover the doghouse. It would have been better and easier if they carpeted the house first and then the carpeted doghouse would go over the carpet.
It seems like I would have to rip the house carpet off the doghouse , and it is glued solid the whole way. Then I guess the screws/ bolts under the doghouse carpet would be easy enough to get to, maybe. But it sounds like I'm going to have a mess, especially for a maybe.
Is any one elses doghouse similar to mine and if so what does it take to get it off?
I have an appx 12"X 12" opening that comes off easily and I really don't have to get it off right now. That's why I have'nt taken the crowbar and demolition hammer to it yet.
However, if I'm ever on the road and need to get in there, I'm going to be SOL if I can't even get it off in the comfort of my own driveway.
Any suggestions or help will certainly be appreciated.
Calling Damon or the dealer was a wasted call because I'm only allowed to talk to the person who can only answer the phone and barely knows what a doghouse in a MH is.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd think that any one who could'nt figure out how to remove the doghouse must be seriously lacking in any kind of mechanical aptitude.
But I'm pretty much a 'do it myself' guy with more tools than many mechanics but I gave up again for about the 4th time. I made up my mind this morning that I was going to get that thing off and go to West Marine and get some nice hatch brackets to put on to make removing it easy.
I failed again. The carpet is glued over the doghouse first. Then the carpet for the rest of the house is glued over or to the carpetover the doghouse. It would have been better and easier if they carpeted the house first and then the carpeted doghouse would go over the carpet.
It seems like I would have to rip the house carpet off the doghouse , and it is glued solid the whole way. Then I guess the screws/ bolts under the doghouse carpet would be easy enough to get to, maybe. But it sounds like I'm going to have a mess, especially for a maybe.
Is any one elses doghouse similar to mine and if so what does it take to get it off?
I have an appx 12"X 12" opening that comes off easily and I really don't have to get it off right now. That's why I have'nt taken the crowbar and demolition hammer to it yet.
However, if I'm ever on the road and need to get in there, I'm going to be SOL if I can't even get it off in the comfort of my own driveway.
Any suggestions or help will certainly be appreciated.
Calling Damon or the dealer was a wasted call because I'm only allowed to talk to the person who can only answer the phone and barely knows what a doghouse in a MH is.
Denver, Colorado
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #3

Max,

Look under the dog house on the outside of the MH. Mine are located on the bottom and screw into the floor from the outside of the MH. Mine is an 06 model. I will try to take some pics.

Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll check that out Red Apple but I don't think they come up from the bottom. If you could post pics that would be great.
Do you other Damon owners with an easily removable doghouse also have this opening in yours?
Maybe Damon figured that since they gave me this opening , I don't need to take the rest off.

Notice I found one screw in the rear and dug it out and put afinish washer on it. If I removed it for long, I don't know how I'd find that hole again thru 2 layer of carpet. Notice how the carpet is all glued down. I don't think Damon wanted me in here.

It's not hard to see why my heart is not into tearing the carpet up to get in here right now, since I really don't have a need to. I'd like to add more soundproofing but I might make it worse.
Denver, Colorado
Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #5

Max,

It looks as if my doghouse is completely different. I guess that is one of the major changes between the 05 and the 06 models. I have added the one picture i have right now, and when it is daylight, I will take some more, in the next couple of days. I can see your dilemma.

Bill
Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redapple:
Max,

It looks as if my doghouse is completely different. I guess that is one of the major changes between the 05 and the 06 models. I have added the one picture i have right now, and when it is daylight, I will take some more, in the next couple of days. I can see your dilemma.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a minute I thought you were in my MH. Two things for other owners. First, make sure you have the right key. It took two seasons before the Dealer figured mine out. I wasn't an idiot, but had been issued the wrong key. Second you may have to gently pry it up because mine was stuck to the weather stripping.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #7

I too am trying to break into my doghouse while not under pressure. My cover prys up ok, but the cowling is sitting on it, preventing its removal. There are two screws for the cowling, but their removal doesn't seem to help as it is tucked under the main dash cowling. Any suggestions?
SageCrispin is offline   Reply With Quote