RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #127

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
06 Georgie Boy Landau flaking seats

My 06 Georgie Boy with 12000 miles has flaking seats also I guess they sent bad material to Flexsteel also.This really sucks given the money we pay for these products and no one wants to stand behind them.After the economy crashed and these companies saw very lean times you would think they would treat their customers better ,since we helped them get back on their feet by buying their products.I also am very unhappy with the rest of fabrics on our dinette and couch seems to be very cheap quality and will probably not last very long,seat cushions on dinette have very little cushion in them also.
06georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #128

Wink Deteriorating Leather Seats

We too have the 2008 Damon Challenger and have the same problem. I still have the sales brochure (we purchased it new) and it states right on their brochure that the Captains chairs from Flexsteel are faux leather. The sofa bed is also faux leather so unfortunately, it it just a matter of time. A few other issues as well but I have learned and kept notes on what I need to watch for on our next motorhome.

Corinne
Cor78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #129

I have 2 recliners 3 years old did the same thing.. I thought Damon was better then that, make one think before buying.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #130

I'll tell you one thing I like the pallaso but I'm not going to buy another Thor product. I think really think that they're leather or vinyl seats are terrible.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #131

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabob View Post
Well, I complained to Damon (Thor) and flex steel. I received a shipment of covers for the 2 captain chairs and the 2 couches. Everything included. Flexsteel said, "not my problem. that is the stuff Damon supplied." Damon chose not to stand behind its product, but hide behind the warranty and sent me the material without any hope of installation cost refunds. I examined the new material and found that it is exactly what was originally used. Now before I spend the money to have it installed I must really think if it is worth the money only to have to replace it again in 2 short years. I think it's time to contact an attorney. Oh yes, Damon will win, but if I can inform future purchasers of their product, how they DO NOT stand behind it, only to hide behind their extremely weak warranty. Maybe that will hurt them in the pocketbooks more than doing the right thing by correcting their mistake and replacing defective material with good quality material like they advertise. I won't let this go away, I will let it be known to stay away from Damon (Thor) and I guess I will be left with replacing the covers with the junk they sent me just before I sell the unit, because if I replace it now, I'm on a timer to get rid of it within 2 years when the new stuff will deteriorate. This is just the beginning of my campaign. I'll keep you posted
So instead of fixing the chairs and sofa correctly, you are mad becuase Damon/Thor and Flexsteel won't honor their warranty. So...you are waiting to sell so you can pass the crap material on to another protential, unsuspecting purchaser? That sir is just WRONG! That make you no better than the manufacturers.

It is a sad world that we live in but not doing things right because it happened to you, is wrong! Just man up and do the right thing and have the items recovered in the proper and correct material. You will sleep much better. It does not cost $$$$$$ to reupholster sofa's and chairs.
Marine vinyl comes to mind for long wear.

Something to think about....
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #132

Forest River Owners Club
Keep up with the posts....Damon/Thor made restitution and fixed everything. Instead of dividing, this topic united many of us Damon owners and by sticking together we accomplished much.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #133

Bob, how old is your coach
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #134

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Bob, how old is your coach
It's a 2009 that we purchased brand new in Jan. 2010. I learned a lot after that purchase. It is listed as a 2009 on the title, but if you check the vin number, the Ford chassis is a 2007. These RV dealers can really pull the wool over your eyes. I was informed by my insurance company after the purchase that the chassis is a 2007 even though it is titled as a 2009. That is why I fell into the time period when the defective fabric was used. However after a lot of prodding and working with the group on this forum, Thor came to their senses and made restitution for this problem. A lot of people got hurt during this mess and as most of us know, an RV is not an investment, it's the opposite so every dollar we put into making them look nice, we lose at the end plus the tremendous depreciation. But if we were looking for an investment in money this was definitely the wrong place to go, however most of us know that and make this an investment in family life that in the most part creates unforgettable memories. So, I was happy Thor did good, however I did trade the Damon in for a 5th wheel simply because we were not able to get the time to travel and opted for more room where we keep the RV permanently in an RV resort in Southwest Florida.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #135

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabob View Post
It's a 2009 that we purchased brand new in Jan. 2010. I learned a lot after that purchase. It is listed as a 2009 on the title, but if you check the vin number, the Ford chassis is a 2007.
That is according to Federal Law. The manufacturer of a "split year" model is the one who sets the model year of the RV. It does not go by the chassis vin. You bought a 2009 model and you got a 2009 model.
Here's what RVIA publishes on it:
Quote:
Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars?

Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages?

The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, this VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with
“Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). This MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome?

An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences?

A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that year’s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhome manufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturer’s current model year on their final MCO’s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCO’s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year one year less than the chassis model year.

Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is?

The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome?

Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff opinion that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage motorhome manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, “Model Year – Not Applicable” on the MCO’s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if it so chooses. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis?

No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchasers of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome.

What information is used by state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #136

Peeling Leather

We also own a 2007 Four Winds Hurricane Motor Home, 37' and just this past summer the seats, couch and recliner have started to peel. In our
30 plus years of owning a motor home have never seen this happen before.
Spoke with Bill at Thor and he is willing to send us one set of covers for the Captains chair free, the other set at a cost of $500.00, plus we would be responsible for the cost of the couch. The recliner is discontinued so were out of luck there. Shame on Thor - This offer is unacceptable to us
and if anyone is looking into a class action law suit, - Please count us in.
Taz11ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #137

Thor is NOT the bad guy here. You have a MH that is 6 years old and you want the interior warranty to last 6 years? Never going to happen. Thor did buy out Damon. But instead of saying "tough luck" they are trying to help you. And you think you are getting screwed in the process. I don't think so.

Where would you be if when Damon went belly up and no one bought them out? You would be left with whatever you could find and I would bet that you would never find matching upholstery for your MH.

Now...take a deep breath and you may want to reconsider the offer that Thor is making. If not, that is your choice. So don't blame Thor for trying to help you.
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDRAFT161 View Post
Thor is NOT the bad guy here. You have a MH that is 6 years old and you want the interior warranty to last 6 years? Never going to happen. Thor did buy out Damon. But instead of saying "tough luck" they are trying to help you. And you think you are getting screwed in the process. I don't think so.

Where would you be if when Damon went belly up and no one bought them out? You would be left with whatever you could find and I would bet that you would never find matching upholstery for your MH.

Now...take a deep breath and you may want to reconsider the offer that Thor is making. If not, that is your choice. So don't blame Thor for trying to help you.
Inclined to agree ... Thomasville (a well known furniture manufacturer) warrants leather covering for 1 year.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #139

We will agree to disagree

Yes the motor home is six years old, but it does have less than 20,000 miles. But that's not the point. If you read and follow all the threads on this subject you will see that Thor/Damon knowing installed a defective products in their motor homes. I feel this is wrong. When a company
knowingly makes a desicion to install a product that they know is defective
it is a deceptive business practice and should be addressed by a court of
law. Thor offered to give me one seat cover, the other at a cost of $500.00. They will make no mention of what the material of this new
cover is. Are the covers made of the same defective material? And if so,
I would have the same problem in the future. That is not acceptable.
As other owners have done, I too will bring my seats to an upholsterer and choose a quality fabric. You mention that I will probably not be able to match color - what difference does it make when it all has to be redone
anyway! And yes, I am taking a deep breath as I write this because in my heart I feel that you my friend are somehow associated with Thor/Damon. This is not an issue of a six year old motor home, it's an issue with Thor/Damon knowing doing deceptive business practices to the consumer and and I stand firm on joining a class action law suit.
Taz11ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #140
TPB

I have having the same problem with my 2008 thor r.v.
TPB is offline   Reply With Quote