RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2007 Thor Hurricane and the seats are covered with Ultra Leather (VINYL). The vinyl started peeling off the canvas backing after about 20,000 miles. The seats are made by Flexsteel. I talked to one dealer that said Flexsteel had some problems with the 2007-2008 vinyl. They asked Thor about replacing the seats for free and Thor said we had too many miles on the coach, which was 33,500 at the time. You might check with the coach manufacturer about the problem. If enough people have problems maybe they can get Flexsteel to do something about it.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdon View Post
I have used his products on many vintage Mercedes projects: some with MB Tex vinyl and some with insanely thick leather. All of the products to prep and finish are available on his website. If it is an identifiable dye color/code; he can just mix and ship. If not, you have to cut a sample from an obscure area and send it in.

My results have been nothing short of spectacular.

For severely cracked leather; he has a filler that works so well you won't be able to tell there was even a crack.

I'm in no way affiliated with leatherique....just a VERY satisfied customer.

A repair kit will not help in this instance. Its the vinyl separation from the fabric substrate that is the problem. The vinyl will need to be replaced.

Local upholstry shop told me $250 per chair if I bring them in.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #17

the seats are listed by Damon as vinyl NOT leather.
Cecil Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #18

I also have a 2008 378 Challenger with both front seats cracking. It has less that 4,000 miles on it. I bought it used last year and that was the first thing I noticed when I purchased it. Called Flexsteel and they said it was normal for leather to crack.Now that I find out it's vinyl material that's not normal wear. Sucks!
hwishard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem. Bought a 2008 376 this year with 4,000 miles and had the dealer replace.
ElCajonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since I read the original post I've kept my seats out of the sun but it's definitely too late for the passenger seat. There's nothing you can do but plan on having it recovered before you sell.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #21

The sun has nothing to do with it. The material was a bad run and I contacted Thor last week They were going to ship me the covers until they found out I was the second owner of a 2008 378 Challenger. Mr. Bill Sauer was the gentleman I talked to @ 800-860-5658 or you can e-mail him at bsauer@tmcrv.com. He said the time limit was about to run out on Thor replacing the covers for the seats. If you are the first owner there might still be some hope for you.
I also contacted Flexsteel. They told me that Damon furnished the material and they could not stand behind it but offered to send me the covers in a flexsteel material for $200.00 each plus shipping, I had already put my seats in the shop and had them recovered at the tune of $600.00
By the way I only had 6,000 miles on the RV.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sent an email and will follow up with a call tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your information. Being the original owner of my Damon I'm hoping that this may be covered as I was told this was sun damage.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
I have an 08 Tuscany, the front seats are crap textured vinyl. There is nothing
you can do, other than have them recovered.
Shame on Flexsteel and Thor for such poor quality.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Even Real Leather seats (like the ones in my Mercedes) are only leather on the seating surface. All the other panels are vinyl. It is very difficult to tell the difference between the 2 materials.

I use a leather boot (I wear good cowboy boots most of the time) cleaner/conditioner on the car seats. It works great. Keeps 'em clean & supple (soft). No cracking or splits yet.

Boot Barn Bick 4 Leather Conditioner

(Bick Leather Conditioner is a great leather conditioner that is recommended for almost all types of leather, including exotics. It is highly recommended for not only boots, but also for clothing, furniture, car interiors, and purses. Apply Bick 4 conditioner to leather after gently cleaning to restore and recondition old or dry leather. To avoid dry, cracked leather, apply to new leather and periodically through out the life of your leather product. )

And I live in the Mojave desert, where the temps vary from 20*F in winter, to 110*F in summer. I DON'T cover the seats, as I hate seat covers.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I received this from Bill:

HI Don,
Thank you for taking the time to write in today. Unfortunately, I will not be able to take care of your seat issue. You can obtain replacement parts by contacting Total Value RV 866-282-4460. they will be able to sell you the envelope kits to repair the seats.

Best regards,

Bill Sauer

I replied requesting an explanation as to what they are going to do since my coach is only two years old
Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
I have an 08 Tuscany, the front seats are crap textured vinyl. There is nothing
you can do, other than have them recovered.
Shame on Flexsteel and Thor for such poor quality.
thats odd
my seats are showing wear on the side panels as well.
the seating area is nice and soft and in great shape. its only the side vinyl pieces that are flaking...
thanks guys
i need to call Damon
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #27

Guys, Damon Thor is giving us all the run around. 2 weeks ago they were perfectly willing to replace my seats. If I could figure out how to put my e-mail letter from Bill I would. If you would e-mail me @ hwishard@yahoo.com I will get a copy to you.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Leatherette rubbing off

Yup, my 2009 Damon 376 has the same problem. It is obvious that the material used on the driver and passenger seats along with the couches is inferior material. You can see that the leatherette portion is extremely thin and it rubs off leaving the backing in place. It has nothing to do with cleaners or anything else. Simply cheap material. I think it's time to take it to Damon or Thor or whatever they call themselves these days. If I purchased a car and it had these same problems the Dealer and the manufacturer would replace it immediately. This is not normal wear and tear....I have 7,000 miles on my unit. It will be 2 years old on January 21st. It is hardly used and this condition is really unacceptable. Check out what the car manufacturers use for leather, leatherette or vinyl. If it only lasted 2 years with little use, they would be put out of business. I hope this post motivates many of us to go to the manufacturer and demand a fair resolution to the problem.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote