RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NAS Pensacola, FL
Posts: 329
As stated before, my coach is also affected - both captain's chairs and the couch. Been in contact with both Flexsteel and Flair Interiors (couch). Received estimates from both for new covers. Under $700 for all three. I'll pay to have the items recovered to restore the look of the coach. I'll keep the receipt for the work to show the next owner that I took care of the problem. My re-investment will be recovered when selling the coach. It is sad that I have to do this, but saving my investment is in my best interest. I'm trying to think that these items are no different than the tires, shocks, or brakes. Makes it a little easier, but... JM2...
__________________
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
bonabob's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, GA
Posts: 180
If Michilin or Goodyear had a reputation of the tread falling off their tires in a couple of years with very little mileage, they would go out of business. Don't let Damon/Thor get away with it. Let all future RV purchasers know the reputation of Damon/Thor when it comes to this particular situation. Who knows what may be down the road for we Damon/Thor owners. After all, our manufacturer cares more about the bottom line than the products they produce and the people who purchase them, which may also take into account any safety situations that may arise in the future.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #87
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
I've been reading this thread with interest. This does not appear to be only a Thor problem. My 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX has exactly the same problem. My seats are Flexsteel and Fleetwood advertised that it is covered in Ultraleather. My rig has only approximately 7000 miles and both front seats are cracking and the finish is flaking off exposing the cloth backing. I will be contacting Ultraleather about this problem. Has anyone heard back or received any response from Ultraleather yet?
okeefecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefecrew View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest. This does not appear to be only a Thor problem. My 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX has exactly the same problem. My seats are Flexsteel and Fleetwood advertised that it is covered in Ultraleather. My rig has only approximately 7000 miles and both front seats are cracking and the finish is flaking off exposing the cloth backing. I will be contacting Ultraleather about this problem. Has anyone heard back or received any response from Ultraleather yet?
I would suggest carefully reviewing the information Fleetwood provided about your MH to make sure that Ultraleather was actually specified by name. Ultraleather is a trade-marked fabric that has several very similar competitors. My impression is that sales people tend to say that furniture pieces are upholstered in Ultraleather because they are trying to say that it isn't real leather, but they don't realize that the product might be "similar" to Ultraleather but not the actual brand name product.
__________________
Joel Weiss--Campground Reviews administrator
RV Technology Specialist
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
I would suggest carefully reviewing the information Fleetwood provided about your MH to make sure that Ultraleather was actually specified by name. Ultraleather is a trade-marked fabric that has several very similar competitors.
Fleetwood bouchure on the 2008 Fiesta LX has Ultraleather as a option.
And is specified with that name in print. No salesman.
You can download all brochure's and some flyers of Fleetwood models at the below link. Fiesta models are in the Fleetwood RV Legacy Product Library

Most other models
Fleetwood RV Brochure Library

In my 1999 brochure they say it is a "Leather Power Driver Seat"
Maybe that is why it hasn't flaked or peeled yet.
__________________
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #90
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Fleetwood bouchure on the 2008 Fiesta LX has Ultraleather as a option.
And is specified with that name in print. No salesman.
You can download all brochure's and some flyers of Fleetwood models at the below link. Fiesta models are in the Fleetwood RV Legacy Product Library

Most other models
Fleetwood RV Brochure Library

In my 1999 brochure they say it is a "Leather Power Driver Seat"
Maybe that is why it hasn't flaked or peeled yet.
Yes, thank you. I was going by what is stated in the Fleetwood brochure for my motorhome. I very clearly states "Ultraleather." My guess is that Ultraleather must have had a bad run of material during this time period, which is starting to show up after 3-4 years. It seems that Flexsteel is trying to blame Thor for supplying an inferior material, however I find it strange that my Ultraleather brand material is doing the exact same thing.
okeefecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefecrew View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest. This does not appear to be only a Thor problem. My 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX has exactly the same problem. My seats are Flexsteel and Fleetwood advertised that it is covered in Ultraleather. My rig has only approximately 7000 miles and both front seats are cracking and the finish is flaking off exposing the cloth backing. I will be contacting Ultraleather about this problem. Has anyone heard back or received any response from Ultraleather yet?
my 08 windsport brochure states "infinnis leather " , which is flexsteels brand, and it is doing the same thing. it doesn't say anything about "ultraleather". we sent an email 2 weeks ago to flexsteel ,and they never responded. we almost bought the fiesta lx, nice looking unit, but settled on the windsport because we got a better discount from "rvdirect
"
__________________
09 Winnie 32 h adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #92
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
my 08 windsport brochure states "infinnis leather " , which is flexsteels brand, and it is doing the same thing. it doesn't say anything about "ultraleather". we sent an email 2 weeks ago to flexsteel ,and they never responded. we almost bought the fiesta lx, nice looking unit, but settled on the windsport because we got a better discount from "rvdirect
"
The one thing in common so far is Flexsteel. Makes me wonder...
okeefecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 794
it looks like someone who knows how to do it, should get a class action lawsuit in the works, if they can get enough owners to join in.
__________________
09 Winnie 32 h adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #94
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Here are some pics I just took of my 4 year old with 7000 miles Flexsteel Ultraleather seats:















okeefecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Theluckys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 198
Okeefecrew - Thanks for posting the pictures of the problem. I'm a late-comer to this thread and it's nice to see what people are complainin about.
__________________
2006 Essex
Theluckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Theluckys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 198
Is this deterioration of the seats limited to the Damon/Thor Flexsteel or all Flexsteel?

Have any other MH owners had this problem as well?

The reason I ask is that we have Flexsteel fabric chairs and the Mrs wants to get leather chairs. According to Flexsteel there are three (3) types of materials:

Vinyl

Softec Leather (Polyurethane)

Genuine Ultraleather (Polyerethane)

Should I be concerned about purchasing replacement Ultraleather Captain's Chairs or should I be looking at another manufacturer?
__________________
2006 Essex
Theluckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,792
So, first it was Thor/Damon's fault for furnishing Flexsteel with an inferior product. Did Fleetwood provide Flexsteel with a bad product as well... and during the same time period? Something isn't adding up.
__________________
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
So, first it was Thor/Damon's fault for furnishing Flexsteel with an inferior product. Did Fleetwood provide Flexsteel with a bad product as well... and during the same time period? Something isn't adding up.
This is my question as well. Though my seats are supposed to be genuine Ultraleather, which is supposed to be the "good" stuff. My feeling is that no one is wanting to take responsibility and the various manufactures are trying to blame the other. Though I didn't post with the intent of getting my seats fixed for free, I am curious as to the extent of the problem and how many rv owners are stuck with an inferior product.
okeefecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.