Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DirecTv package

I"m currently paying around $79 a month for Choice Mobile (185 Channels mostly junk) and Mobile Network Services (local LA channels) with two DVR recievers. I only use DirecTv in the RV because I like the faster internet cable service in my home. My question to my fellow travelers is what directv packages do you use and why?

Thanks,
Craig, Sandy, Grandma, Bran-dog and Jim-boy
ElCajonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCajonee
I"m currently paying around $79 a month for Choice Mobile (185 Channels mostly junk) and Mobile Network Services (local LA channels) with two DVR recievers. I only use DirecTv in the RV because I like the faster internet cable service in my home. My question to my fellow travelers is what directv packages do you use and why?

Thanks,
Craig, Sandy, Grandma, Bran-dog and Jim-boy
We take books and use Hulu!
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We just signed up for DirectTv through a package deal when we bought our new tv last week. For 6 dollars a month, we added a standard receiver and got a portable dish and tripod. The coach (2000 Monaco Diplomat) is wired for it, but we have yet to give it a try. I am hoping it works well. They don't offer Internet :-/ Unless we were misinformed (which would not surprise me)
Michele - first time Class A owner
Mother goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #4

"We take books and use Hulu! "

How does an answer like that help in any way when the poster asked about DirecTV packages??

We use DirecTV in the house and RV, and cable for internet at home, cable TV is lousy compared to to all the channels we get on DirecTV.
I have Premier Package because I like all the movie channels, almost 300 total channels, comes with a lot of sports that I don't care about, but it is a package. We have 2 non-HD DVRs that we leave in the RV, it is wired so we can watch and record separately on the 2 DVRs. In order to get all the HD channels, you need to get a fairly expensive auto signal seeking antenna for the roof of the RV. So far we haven't seen the need to spend almost $2000 to get one installed.
You won't get the local channels once you are a couple of hundred miles from home, and you won't get the local channels where you are either. There are a couple of ways to get around it, but nothing simple. There are more threads about this, just search around.
For the local channels where we are, we use the cable at the RV park, as most have cable available.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Check Out Dish Network

I have Directv at home. We just added one dvr receiver to the package which stays in the Motorhome. We only pay $5.00/month more for that service. I utilize a VuQube when I am in heavily wooded areas. The problem is that I do not get HD with the VuQube because to get Directv HD it takes a large dish pointed on an angle to receive 3 satellites. Dish Network only requires a standard dish pointed at the 110 satellite to get HD. As a matter of fact, you can get a VuQube mounted on the rear ladder and receive hd while moving with Dish Network. It's food for thought. Check out all of your options and get the networks competing for your buisiness.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use DirecTv at home and on the road. In both places I have DNS plus locals, HD, two receivers (three at home). I spend approx $160 per month for my packages with DirecTv. I had a HD antenna system installed on the MH last year and I can't imagine ANY reason to ever watch SD again. TV is our primary source of entertainment so I don't mind spending more for it.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We have cable TV at home and until they (cable TV) can stretch the cable to whatever camp ground we choose to stay at, I will continue to use Direct TV in the coach. For the last two seasons we had the $29.XX package. We started it in March (2011) and discontinued it in November (2011) when we put the coach in storage. Funny thing happened when I looked at the last bill, the cost had jumped to $69.XX. I called and was informed that the offer was a one year deal. When I mentioned that I would consider Dish network when we started RVing again, the person told me I should call them (Direct TV) when I was ready to have it turned on and ask to speak to someone in the "Retention" division. Supposedly they will put me back on the $29.XX fee......
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have DishNetwork because they offer an RV special with pay as you go. No service contract, no start/stop fees and my plan includes Distance Network Service.

Dish For My RV: Mobile, RV, Satellite Dish Systems, Guides, Antennas, Receivers, Packages, iPhone Finder App & More

We like it, but I admit that I have very little Sat TV experience. However, we do still have Fox brand channels since the dispute in the Direct vs. Tribune world.

Steve and Kim
'09 Outlaw
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote