Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drain Valves for Damon 2006 Astoria

Why are there 2 Drain Valves ( not one ) inside Blk/Grey Waste Cargo Door Area to empty the Fresh Water Tank ?
I see a plaque also reading to open the Low Point first then High Point Valves to drain the FWT ?
Seems one Valve would be sufficient to empty the FWT !
thanx in advance for any assist.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you should have three valves.
two side by side in the far left hand side of the wetbay, they drain the hot and cold pressurized side.
then one more down low in the left hand area of the lower pan area about 6" from the grey tank waste valve, it drains the fresh tank
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3 Valves for Drainage

Thanx for your reply about the 3 Water Valves.
BUT: The left side 2 valves drained for at least 1/2 to 3/4 hour filling more than a dozen 2 gallon bucket containers which we emptied over a back fence rather than let it drain in the RV Park sandy soil. Fresh Water Tank was at or less 1/2 full ( 100 gallon tank ) which means 40 + gallons had to drain out.
The Valve near the Grey Water drained slow, but drained within 15 minutes.
So I find it hard to believe the 2 on left were for Hot and Cold Lines and held that much water to dump over the period of 1/2 to 3/4 hour.

The Plaque installed by Damon on the Waste cabinet interior Wall, suggested to open farthest left valve as its the "low point" valve
Not that I do not believe your reply, it just seems a bit hard to believe watching how long it took the 2 ( with heavy flow ) on far left to drain ........ there may be another answer. But again thanx for reply.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post
Thanx for your reply about the 3 Water Valves.
BUT: The left side 2 valves drained for at least 1/2 to 3/4 hour filling more than a dozen 2 gallon bucket containers which we emptied over a back fence rather than let it drain in the RV Park sandy soil. Fresh Water Tank was at or less 1/2 full ( 100 gallon tank ) which means 40 + gallons had to drain out.
The Valve near the Grey Water drained slow, but drained within 15 minutes.
So I find it hard to believe the 2 on left were for Hot and Cold Lines and held that much water to dump over the period of 1/2 to 3/4 hour.

The Plaque installed by Damon on the Waste cabinet interior Wall, suggested to open farthest left valve as its the "low point" valve
Not that I do not believe your reply, it just seems a bit hard to believe watching how long it took the 2 ( with heavy flow ) on far left to drain ........ there may be another answer. But again thanx for reply.
I am sure your shore water was off, but if you opened a kitchen, shower, bathroom sink hot and cold valves and then opened the two low points, it will suck out the water heater (10 gallons) plus most of whats left in the other lines, close to another 3-5 gallons. not sure if you plumbed for washing machine, but if so..open it as well
the fresh tank is slow as its only gravity drain and a small 1/4" opening in the valve. no other way to speed it up .

and believe it or not, the low points can pull water from the fresh tank if the flow is right for siphoning,
all faucets open, it will do it.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Stuff grows in dark wet places

My 06 Astoria had not been used for a while when I bought it. There was some crud in the lines and they really took a long time to drain. I hooked up a reduced pressure source of air less than 25 psi and put it in the fresh water tank fill line with a rag wrapped around it to seal it a bit, put my thumb over the vent and increased the flow out the 3 drain valves it blew out some junk and then the flow increased. If you try this be cautious as the tank is not designed to hold a lot of pressure and you could easily harm it with the air.

I have since put a CPVC 1/2 inch boiler drain valve on the left side of the fresh water tank. Wanted a full flow ball valve but could not find one. I hook a hose up to it and route it through the bung in the bottom of the well. I was sanitizing with bleach and wanted to get rid of the bleach water but not kill any trees or plants but have a big gravel drive so drained it in the middle away from plants and trees.

The tanks being wet dark are a perfect place for stuff to grow A 100 gallon petri dish might be a good description. Black slime and mold love a warm wet dark place so a sanitization is an annual thing. We now have city water with chlorine or what ever they add so that is helpful to stop the growth. we were using taste and odor charcoal canister type filters with the garden hose thread but don't need to use them with our Lake Michigan city water.
Alltooledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Was your water pump on ?
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I have 2005 Daybreak with the two valves you mention. When I drain the fresh tank I also open the hot and cold taps in kitchen and bathroom. It seems like it takes for ever to drain the tank and so much water, but the holes in the valves are only 1/4 dia. so it takes time. When I winterize the MH I open the drains the day before I do the work.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon