Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Electrical problems

I have a Damon Tuscany 2006 model 4077. The local power company shut down power to the area for a day and my 6 year old batteries failed. I installed 4 new 6 volt deep cycle "golf cart" batteries now my AC is under voltage and any attempt to use appliances generates a loud hum with diminished performance also nothing displayed on the remote ems panel. Inverter will not charge and dc drops to " low level " in 24 hrs. (I run the diesel daily to recharge. 50 amp service 230-40 at outlet each leg 130 house outlets109+. Please help
cadillac1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac1915 View Post
I have a Damon Tuscany 2006 model 4077. The local power company shut down power to the area for a day and my 6 year old batteries failed. I installed 4 new 6 volt deep cycle "golf cart" batteries now my AC is under voltage and any attempt to use appliances generates a loud hum with diminished performance also nothing displayed on the remote ems panel. Inverter will not charge and dc drops to " low level " in 24 hrs. (I run the diesel daily to recharge. 50 amp service 230-40 at outlet each leg 130 house outlets109+. Please help
My first thought is, did you wire them in series-parallel or all in parallel? If all in parallel you are only getting 6 volts. Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #3

I wired 2 parallel 12 volt
Old 10-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
I wired 2 parallel 12 volt
You stated you bought four, 6 volt golf cart batteries.

Each pair needs to be wired in series to produce 12 volts, then the two pairs need to be wired in parallel to increase the amp hours @ 12 volts.

Recheck, redo your wiring. You are not providing 12v to your RV.

If you think you wired things correctly, use a voltmeter at the positive connection to the RV. What voltage reading to you get?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #5

When connected to shore power or running the generator, you should get charging voltage from your inverter/charger. That voltage should be between 13v and 16v DC, most normally around 13.8. Have you checked your control panel to verify that the inverter/charge is on? Have you checked for charging voltage at the house batteries.

Your battery connection should look something like the photo below. Count your cables (the ground from your house batteries may go to your chassis batteries).

Photos of you inverter control panel, model of your inverter, a photo of you battery ocmpartment would help with possible solutions.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

I am concerned about the "130 VAC on each leg and 109 at the outlets". Something is significantly wrong.

Where are you measure the 130? Same voltmeter you are seeing the 109?

Start by checking all connections!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #7

My gut tells me it could be your transfer switch. If you can charge and work off the generator but your line voltage is low when on pedestal power, you could have fried contacts on one side of the relay. Check and see if this is where your hum comes from under load.

130V on the input sounds high.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
I am concerned about the "130 VAC on each leg and 109 at the outlets". Something is significantly wrong.

Where are you measure the 130? Same voltmeter you are seeing the 109?

Start by checking all connections!
Yes, we need to get some clarification as the original post mixes the power topic.

It's not clear if the issue is lack of power when plugged in to shore, lack of inverted power when disconnected, failure of inverter/converter to charge batteries, or all three.

Symptoms described are consistent with too low of AC voltage reaching the RV system.

It seems your generator provides correct power to your system and all things function properly. If this is the case, the problem is with either shore power or the connection of shore power to your RV.

Just because the post reads proper line voltage (assuming that's where your measured), it does not follow that the voltage will be maintained once a load is applied. The power company was doing work on the lines, but there is no guarantee the restored power is adequate under load.

Since everything works on generator power, the problem is between the post and the outlet from the transfer switch, if not from the power company.

What do you have between the post receptacle and the transfer switch? Do you have any adapters or a surge protector?

Test the voltage at every device or connection between the post and the transfer switch outlet lugs. What is the voltage where the shore wires are connected inside the transfer switch at the input lugs?

What is the voltage at the lugs of the transfer switch outlet to the main panel?

Somewhere between the post and the transfer switch outlet you should find a voltage drop.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

I am going to K.I.S.S. this one. Check every breaker and fuse from the pole to the batteries. Unless you had secured power prior to the power company cutting and restoring power, it is very likely you have a tripped breaker or blown fuse. When you check your breakers make sure to cycle them. I had a breaker at the house here that would "semi trip", it would trip but the toggle didn't move to the tripped position. When I replaced it, it was full of sand and I had to replace the rest. Don't forget there may be fuses at/in the converter/charger that may have blown, or to test and reset the high amperage breakers near the batteries. I think you'll find the spike when the power company shut down or restored power popped a breaker.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #10

Power Transfer Switch

I have a 2006 Damon Tuscany electrical problem. A repair site suggested I look into the power transfer switch. I still waiting for the answer to this question where would you find it and what does it look like? Can anyone help? Thank you in advance
Old 10-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd look in the area where your shore cord enters the rv. The ats should be very close by. They are usually a rectangular box- either metal or plastic measuring about 9" long X 7" wide X about 4" thick. You should see the shore line, generator, and rv (load) side cables entering it.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Hopefully someone with your exact model can tell you from their experience.

In general, the way to find it is to follow your power cord(s). You will have a black or gray box with your power cord going into it and the generator power going into it and have one power cord coming out of it and that one goes to the RV breaker box. Common locations are near or behind the Breaker box, under the bed, or in a dedicated compartment with other electrical connections.

~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

Most of the time there's a strip of 9 connection terminal blocks in a 50amp ATA and a few got loose and hot that cause issues.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I have a 2006 Damon Tuscany electrical problem. A repair site suggested I look into the power transfer switch. I still waiting for the answer to this question where would you find it and what does it look like? Can anyone help? Thank you in advance
Before you root around in your transfer switch, how about describing the issue as there are many well qualified electrical guys on here.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, ems, power, problem, problems, switch, transfer switch