Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

formaldehyde use in construction of Damon Ultrasport 2002

I have had an allergic reaction which caused a lot of sneezing both times we have used our new-to-us Damon.

Have been told it could be formaldehyde that might have been used in the construction.

Can anyone tell me if this was done in the '02 models? I contacted Damon and they have ignored me on this. I told them I was not blaming them but needed to know if this was used and where it might have been used. I have been chatting with a man at Damon with the email mbukowski@tmcrv.com but he has not been helpful at all.

Hope someone here can be of more help or give me a direction to follow.

Thanks, Bobbie
bobbiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Bobbie, it was used in all types of construction adhesives among other materials. It will cure out if it is left open for a lenghty time period. But when it is trapped in the walls and can not "breathe" it takes a long time. There are some tricks to help speed up the process. For starters leave a window cracked for as long as possible and open up any storage compartments and leave open as long as possible. Open up anything that can be opened. You can actually drill a series of holes in the outside sheating and plug holes with a small vent about the size of a silver dollar. These can be purchased at lowes,etc. Be sure and do this at the top and where rain can not run into the vent. Hope this helps. Be patient this could take some time.
PEPPER9950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #3

Thanks. I am now getting tested for formaldehyde sensitivity and hope that is not the problem. BUT, I will keep your comments in case I need them.

Thanks, Bobbie
Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Damon and formaldehyde

I am new to this so I do not know if you got my "quick" response. I saw my Dr. today and am getting tested for formaldehyde sensitivity. Hope that is not the problem, but thanks for your reply, in case.

Bobbie
Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #5

People typically react to low concentrations of formaldehyde with watery eyes and runny nose. Breathing higher concentrations result in a burning sensation in the throat and nasal passages. If formaldehyde was used it manufacturing the coach (and it probably was), it should be pretty well offgassed after 8 years, even in a semi-sealed environment, motorhomes really aren't that airtight.

Could there be a mold present? That could cause your sneezing.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

formaldehude or mold in motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
People typically react to formaldehyde with watery eyes and runny nose. If formaldehyde was used it manufacturing the coach (and it probably was), it should be pretty well offgassed after 8 years, even in a semi-sealed environment, motorhomes really aren't that airtight.

Could there be a mold present? That could cause your sneezing.
I saw my Doc today and he is running some allergy tests to see exactly what we are dealing with.

Hopefully, it is something simple. And, yes, I had thought it might be mold as we live in the St. Louis, MO area and the previous owners took the coach to FL many times.

I hope to find out soon.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bobbie
Old 11-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 2002 model should have cleared out a long time ago,mine did and I have very sinsitive sinuses.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
An 8 year old coach should not have any issues with fumes of any sort. Now what can be a problem is mold from unknown leaks.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #9

Damon 2002 - formaldehyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccook129 View Post
A 2002 model should have cleared out a long time ago,mine did and I have very sinsitive sinuses.
I hope you are right. My Dr. has ordered lab work for allergies. It might be mold, also. This coach spent all of it's life in either the St. Louis, MO area or in Florida. Both areas have high humidity so mold is not out of the question.

Thanks for your comments. Bobbie
Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #10

Damon 2002 - formaldehyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
An 8 year old coach should not have any issues with fumes of any sort. Now what can be a problem is mold from unknown leaks.

ken
My doctor sent me for blood work today so I can find out exactly what is the problem. The coach has spent the majority of its 8 year life in the St. Louis, Mo area or in Florida, both very moist areas.

I am thinking you might be right, but I want to know for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bobbie
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
anything with carpet or paneling will gass off including your stick house but as others have said 8 years old should no longer be a problem
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #12

formaldehyde

Thanks, gasser 38, I had an allergy blood test run earlier this week and should have some kind of answer early next week. I am thinking it is not formaldehyde, but am not at all sure what else it could be. Well, I should know more next week.

Bobbie
Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #13

Ok,Ill be as brief as I can here.

i would suggest an allergist MD (first)

yes some people exhibit extra hypersinsitivities to aldahydes and other petroleum element exposures that are quite evident as in the symptoms explained by the OP.
In 1985 0r so,I dug up a study done by a Calif govt department in sacramento(I dont recall which) done on aldahydes gassoffs and cancer.
In summary;there were higher incidences of throat ,esophageal and i believe lung cancer from continued exposure to the carcinogenic materials that are in mobile homes (the studies focus) These materials are in carpets,faux wood etc. in virtually all interiors of cars ,homes etc ...and yes RVs
The study stated their opinion was that approximately after 10 years or so the danger from the gasses could be considered safe (er)

This study probably never made the mainstream news due to the obvious economic damage it could have had on the industries.

(side note)
I also found that talc powder many mothers used on babies were actually carcinogenic when inhaled by baby/mother etc. I discovered that in 1974 and again in the 80's,but that all concerning talc.

All of this,, as we all should know only too well ,now, is just the tip of the iceberg on harmful products etc we are exposed to on a near daily basis.

Enough said
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would second or third MOLD or spores
there are lots of areas that moisture can build up then dry and then get wet again that we never see.

behind dresser drawers, in the backs of cabinets.
the key is AIRFLOW during the moist times, say when we are closed up in winter but still live in the coach

breathing alone adds tons of moisture to the closed up coach
add in a hot shower a few loads of dishes and you have moist air seeking a way out

i have three eva dry dehumidifiers i run during the cold months to help control the moisture
i don't run my heat to a high temp and this compounds the issue
but air flow in and behind drawers, wipe off windows as they sweat will help
at night we open doors and some drawers to help move air around
you would be surprised what lurks in recesses you normally dont see

i would pull out ALL drawers and have the areas behind them inspected for mold and then have it cleaned up.
if it was wet long enough then the wood subfloor is most likely hold some as well.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote