Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #1

For those of you that don't know, Damon does not align their motorhomes. You should load your motorhome and have a front end alignment done. On my Ford chassis I almost wiped out 2 front tires at 12,000 miles. Ford will not warranty motorhome alignments.

Sam
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #2

For those of you that don't know, Damon does not align their motorhomes. You should load your motorhome and have a front end alignment done. On my Ford chassis I almost wiped out 2 front tires at 12,000 miles. Ford will not warranty motorhome alignments.

Sam
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

When I bought my MH, the dealer flat out told me that once loaded up, I needed to get an alignment, and that it was not considered a "Warranty" item by either Damon, or Ford. I had one done within the first week of ownership, and have not had any problems. Cost me about 90 bucks. Sorry your dealer didn't tell you. Tires are costly. Are either of the tires at least good enough to use as an emergency spare?

Bill
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #4

Yep! Last Dealer posted a nice note to get it aligned once it was loaded and that Ford or Damon do not warranty alignments. Big difference once I had it aligned. I had a four wheel alignment done to make sure. Probably paid to much but I'm sure it is right.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #5

Ya, I have a hard time believing the loading has a huge effect but maybe it does. I understand Winnebago has a sticker right on the steering wheel so it is certainly not just a Damon thing. In any case I'm sure their are many dealers that don't inform people about this and their were no signs other than tire wear, which I should have caught earlier but I was distracted with other problems.

Sam
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricaner:
Ya, I have a hard time believing the loading has a huge effect but maybe it does. I understand Winnebago has a sticker right on the steering wheel so it is certainly not just a Damon thing. In any case I'm sure their are many dealers that don't inform people about this and their were no signs other than tire wear, which I should have caught earlier but I was distracted with other problems.

Sam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know I'm with you. The implication is that if you have to have the alignment done fully loaded then whenever you operate the coach less than that you will be out of alignment. My logic probably is off but that is how my simple mind sees it. Also, I have a hard time "assuming" that all MH's coming out of the factory are out of alignment. I'll have my baby checked some day just to give me peace of mind based on all the hype but currently my coach tracks straight...better than either of my two cars. I also don't see any uneven tire wear but then again I'm still less than 6k miles on the o-meter.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #7

Just keep an eye on those tires Lanceman.

Sam
Old 05-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #8

We were not told that we need an alignment after getting loaded up for on the road until after making one trip and finding the steering a little "off."

I posted to a forum and found out that all manufacturers of trucks, cars, etc. do an alignment on chasis before body, etc. added to vehicle.

We had alignment and although it was only a little off, it seemed to make a difference. I find myself wondering how much difference the "load" makes.

We had to take our 376 to a "heavy truck" shop to be aligned, and they confirmed that it did make a big difference.
Full Moon Over Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

My thoughts on this. We're all talking about a straight front axle. The only easy adjustment is the toe-in/toe-out. Caster and camber are pre set and are built in to the casting of the I beam. Further adjustments to camber can be made by adding wedges under the I beam to tilt it either forward or backwards. Camber adjustments need to be made by litterally bending the I beam with a hydraulic jack.

I can't see how load affects these settings. The geometry stays the same regardless of height.

Now, if you have a chassis with A arms, the geometry changes as the chassis rises and falls. I can see where you would want to have a typical load in the unit when having it aligned.

All that said, doesn't mean that the alignment is correct when the unit is delivered.

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #10

One of the first things I did (naturally) was check the alignment on our Ultrasport. It was a 2004 model, purchased new in December of 2005, and yes, it was off.

If any of you are in our area please stop by the shop (Precision Frame & Alignment, Inc.)and let us check out the alignment on your coach. It would be nice to meet and compare notes with other Damon owners.

Drive safe!

Precision Frame & Alignment
Dick L is offline   Reply With Quote