RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #1

I read the request that we all should attempt to post to increase the activity and here I am. I bought my 2005 Damon Challenger in January and have been busy learning about RV's since I have never had any type before. We have taken a couple short trips and did the Dick Reed Driving School and now we are ready for our first big trip. We leave Friday and our heading West. I have reservations at Williams, AZ for a few days but other than that we are playing it by ear.We plan to take our time and enjoy the trip. I would certainly welcome any tips from you seasoned travlers.The unit has performed just fine every time it's been out although it is in the shop right now since I made a dumb mistake and broke the main slide.

ear-doc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #2

I read the request that we all should attempt to post to increase the activity and here I am. I bought my 2005 Damon Challenger in January and have been busy learning about RV's since I have never had any type before. We have taken a couple short trips and did the Dick Reed Driving School and now we are ready for our first big trip. We leave Friday and our heading West. I have reservations at Williams, AZ for a few days but other than that we are playing it by ear.We plan to take our time and enjoy the trip. I would certainly welcome any tips from you seasoned travlers.The unit has performed just fine every time it's been out although it is in the shop right now since I made a dumb mistake and broke the main slide.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum ear-doc2. OK, I gotta ask, what was the dumb mistake that broke the slide? We all have made our share, here is a partial list(and I do mean partial) of mine. Drove off with antenna up, pulled the jacks up before retracting the slide(more than once), almost drove off with the shore power still plugged in and my biggest so far was the front end alaighnment which I posted about.

Sam
Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 AM   #4

I wasn't going to tell about my DUMB mistake but I guess I must fess up. Now, understand, I have been fanatical about going out and making sure there is plenty of clearance before opening the slides.. Well, one day I had the MH in the driveway doing some cleaning and I opened the storage door to the sewer section,it doesn't have a hold open so I had fashioned a prop out of a broom pole, I even made the pole extra long so the door is open about 75 degrees.
I'm in the unit and I decided to open the slide and as I opened it I heard a big cracking sound--- the slide ran up on top of the storage door which was now very rigid due to my prop and I broke a gear on the slide. It also scratched the storage door and did a great deal of damage to my pride. I cried a while and then called a repairman who got the slide closed manualy and made an appointment to get it repaired. Another lesson learned.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #5

If your going to be in Williams you might look up Trailer Village in the GCNP. It's another 30-40 minutes drive into the Park. Once you setup you really don't need a vehicle as the Park has Tram service everywhere from the Village.

Every morning and evening the wildlife would walk thru the CG. The family really enjoyed our stay there.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, one day I had the MH in the driveway doing some cleaning and I opened the storage door to the sewer section, it doesn't have a hold open so I had fashioned a prop out of a broom pole, I even made the pole extra long so the door is open about 75 degrees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I cringed as soon as I read this as I knew what was coming. Bet you won't do that anymore and hopefully nobody else will that reads this. Thanks for sharing, I know it wasn't easy to even think about that one again.

Sam
Old 05-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #7

Hi Ear-Doc! Welcome to the Forum! I was thinking about this and it hit me that we have a little family here. No bashing, just a willingness to help each other and share experiences.
That said, we have all made mistakes. I don't think anyone would call someone names but I'm sure a sympathetic chuckle can probably be assured.
Let's see, I left the house to come to the beach (where I am now, BTW) It's about 9 miles away. I was driving through Salisbury center when a guy pulled up next to me and yelled that something fell off my MH and a guy behind me drove over it. Yup.It was my extension for my power cord. I turned around but never found it.
I think it was worse listening to my wife for a few days than actually losing the cord.

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #8

I learned a lesson and it was my fault completely. I get so upset with the blame someone else mentality that seems to be prevalent but I must say I never read any comments that said "don't prop open a storage compartment under a slide" I mean, hey, extension cords and ladders have tons of warning stickers. Perhaps I will start a movement to stop improper storage door propping. I need a good slogan----
Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum Ear-doc2. Like all have said "Just don't ask how we know about a particular mistake" Ha!!!!!!!!!!! How about I am driving down the road and my wife ask me what that is flapping in the breeze on the passenger side rear - I look real hard in the mirror and say oh that is just a cargo door that I forgot to close real good. When I stopped and looked my ladder was also sticking out about 2 feet and thats how I know. Its probably not my only one either. I try to knock some sense into my head every time I get out of cockpit seat on that dadgum TV that is sticking out in the way of this 6'3" frame. It doesn't work cause I keep doing it.. ........Good luck on your trip and be safe..............Jim
Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #10

ear-doc2...Welcome!

Don't feel bad about the Boo Boo. I did one shortly aftr I got mine. I was backing into my driveway, and pretty much ripped the rain gutters right out of the side of the house. I also ripped the back awning arm out the side of the MH, when the gate closed on me about 2 inches and it caught.

It happens to us all.

Its all good. A bad day campin is way better than a good day at work!

Bill
Old 05-09-2007, 04:26 AM   #11

I opened my awning at the stick house to let it dry out as we had been camping and put it up wet.
Got busy doing whatever, DW for the next few days would mention when am I going to close it.

Well, I closed it after a wind came from no where and ripped my awning. Good news is I like my new brown color better!