Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #1

I cannot get on-air HDTV. I have a 2007 Challenger 377. My main TV is a ViewSonic HDTV. This works well on broadcast with the installed Winegard batwing on the roof.
I am camping north of Columbus OH at Cross Creek. Using the remote while on the antenna, I switch to DTV. The TV prompts to scan channels, which I do through the DTV menu option, but none are found.

Given my location, I would expect to find some. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Admiral0647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #2

I cannot get on-air HDTV. I have a 2007 Challenger 377. My main TV is a ViewSonic HDTV. This works well on broadcast with the installed Winegard batwing on the roof.
I am camping north of Columbus OH at Cross Creek. Using the remote while on the antenna, I switch to DTV. The TV prompts to scan channels, which I do through the DTV menu option, but none are found.

Given my location, I would expect to find some. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Old 07-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

I assume you mean that you are not receiving any digital channels (digital is not HD but HD is digital).
It's certainly possible that your location does not have the digital signal available. I agree it sounds unlikely but if you have done a similar scan in the past and it worked and you are doing the same thing now and it fails I wouldn't do too much of an investigation until I moved to a new location. We were in Branson, MO and would have expected digital but there was nothing at all to be found.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #4

Actually, I was looking for digital tv. I was diredted to antennaweb.org which allows zip code input. That site responds with digital channels available and the compas direction to aid in aiming the UHF antenna. Columbus OH has eight channels. I have aso learned that of the three televisions factory installed in my 2007 Challenger, only one (the largest) is DTV capable, and to use the DTV capability I must remove it from the cabinet and hook an antenna wire to the DTV port on the back. I'll follow up on this when we get home next week.

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't mention how far from Columbus you were. Are there a lot of trees or hills between you and the station? Digital TV does not fare nearly as well as analog TV when you get out in the fringe areas. Here at home I have a good signal from one Digital (also HD) station except when the wind is blowing causing a group of trees just south of me to move around to much.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bob (WA0MQE) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am camping within the greater Columbus metro area, about 12 miles north of downtown. Acording to AntennaWeb, the towers are south of my location, but I do not know how far.

With problems with trees, hills, buildings, interfering with the signal, you have to ask why the switch? Is it so broadcast can compete with cable/satelite?

By the way, I served on the USS Bennington, CVS-20 and Kitty Hawk, CVA-63, from 1967 to 1971.

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #7

For you Navy folks out there my father was Air Boss on the USS Forrestal CVA-59 (sorry years unknown but I suspect the 50's) and my grandfather was Superintendent of the Naval Academy from 1956-1958. He is having a gate dedicated to him this August at the Navy-Marine football field which was a project he aggressive worked at to see built.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Admiral0647...

I spent 1959 to 1961 on the Ticonderoga, CVA-14 then went to school for a couple months and transferred to the USS Bennington, CVS-20 from late 1961 to July 1963. Made the WestPac cruise in 1961/1962. Went to Bremerton, WA and was in Dry Dock during winter of '62/'63. After Bremerton returned to San Diego for a short time then, can't remember why but Bennington went to Long Beach. Long Beach is where I mustered out July '63.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #9

A little off topic, but I served on the USS Saratoga CVA 60 from 1970 to 1971 and proud of it. John H....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #10

DTV "ready" is not the same as having a digital tuner in your television. HDTV is not the same thing as DTV, Read: dtv.gov FAQ pagefor complete information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Analog TV takes up a lot more space on the frequency spectrum then DTV. So it is possible to have more channels like cable. I heard that some of the current frequency spectrum for analog TV is to be allocated for cellular type uses.
The N3235 Viewsonic in my coach picks up DTV (ATSC) broadcast TV ok. You didn't leave tv set to cable by chance? The TV ATSC tuner only works in "air" mode.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #12

Again, a little off topic, but I'm ex Air Force, yeah I know a Wing Wiper, but mt oldest is a USNA '03 grad.

He's flying EP-3s and right now is "overseas" somewhere.

Bill, that's a pretty tall heritage for you. Congrats on your grandfathers recognition. Are they dedicating it at a game?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #13

The gate is being dedicated before the game on Aug. 30th. Sorry for the of topic! Just got carried away. I think we all need to get back on track. Maybe the dedication will be shown locally in HD!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #14

I guess I should bring this thread to a conclusion. I'm back home and tonite I finally had time to work on the TV problem that started this discussion. I removed the 32" Main TV from the cabinet (12 screws) and installed a splitter in the antenna feed coax. This set has a seperate coax connection for analog and digital signals, hence the splitter.

As soon as it was back together, I was able to scan and locate my local digital stations with the roof mounted Winegard antenna. Why Damon did not do this at the factory during construction I do not know.

What I do know is this set is now ready for Feb, 09. Now to convert the other two factory TVs that are analog only...

Thanks for your advice on this,

Jim

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD