Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #1

How do I check rear tires on a Damon Intruder

I have a new to me 35' 2001 intruder that I bought last fall. My first motorhome.
Pulled it out of storage, de-winterized and checked everthing I could think of before my first trip. I went to check the tires and can not even get my hand to where the valve stems are located to get the caps off. I've only even been able to see two of the fours stems.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be getting extentions ASAP but I only have one day before my trip and there is no way to get that done in time. Just need to make sure the tires are where they should be before I leave.

Thanks,

Dave
KDaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

If you are unable to make the repairs - take it to a tire shop tomorrow and have them check the air. I have a couple of places here locally that will do it for me. Do you have a place where you get service done regularly? or a place that you have purchased tires from? Try that

Happy Trails
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDaveC View Post
I have a new to me 35' 2001 intruder that I bought last fall. My first motorhome.
Pulled it out of storage, de-winterized and checked everthing I could think of before my first trip. I went to check the tires and can not even get my hand to where the valve stems are located to get the caps off. I've only even been able to see two of the fours stems.

Dave
Hi Dave, and Welcome to irv2!
I will assume you have a Ford chassis with stainless wheel simulator/covers.
If you can't reach the tire valve stems you may need to remove the stainless wheel covers. Hopefully you have the special socket type wrench somewhere to remove them. Once off you can fill the tires with an RV air inflator nozzle. It has an angled air fill adapter that will allow filling from either end of the nozzle. Any auto parts store can sell you one.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Dave to irv2.
Congrats on your new to you coach.
You need those extenders and a long handle air gage.
Your valve stems are in there you may need a flashlight.
You should make sure your inside tires are checked and are have the same amount of air as your outside tires. If not you run the risk of a blow out with deflated tires.
The coach should be weight at a truck scale than inflate your tires to the inflation tables of MFG of your tires.
A couple of hours from your departure should not spoil your vacation but a tire problem may not make for a good one.
You need to know those inside tire pressures.
Do not rush and just take your trip your safety depends on having you coach checked out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Thanks we have a tire shop locally that I believe does truck tires but my concern is getting there when they are open. I may have to burn a half day of vacation just to check my tire pressure. The dealer I purchased it from is 50 miles away. I was hoping that someone had a trick that I was missing.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/my-so...lem-41686.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air chuck.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	9892  
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #7

Wanabee, Those covers come off with a socket/large lug wrench? Those lightweight simulated lugnuts looked like they were going to break off when I tried turning them. I thought they might be permanent part of the cover and maybe the whole thing just popped out. Maybe I'll try removing those again..

Thanks everyone for the help. I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of questions when it comes to this thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Wanabee, Those covers come off with a socket/large lug wrench? Those lightweight simulated lugnuts looked like they were going to break off when I tried turning them. I thought they might be permanent part of the cover and maybe the whole thing just popped out. Maybe I'll try removing those again..

Thanks everyone for the help. I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of questions when it comes to this thing.
Yes, the tool is like a large socket wrench. Only 2 of the simulated lug nuts come off to release the wheel cover. Look for the 2 lugs that have a small dimple on the side/wall of the lug nut. Check all the lug nut sides to find the 2 lugs with dimples.
The air chuck I mentioned looks like the one ccook129 has a picture of, except it's an air chuck. The one pictured is a tire pressure gauge. You will probably need both.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave most covers have two lug nuts with dimples on them they are the ones to turn to get your cover off.
If they have no dimples do not turn you will be left with a hole in that lug nut location.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
I will be getting extentions ASAP but I only have one day before my trip and there is no way to get that done in time. Just need to make sure the tires are where they should be before I leave.

Thanks,

Dave
For long run look at putting on Crossfire system. They are great for old guys like me.

Dual Dynamics

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for the info. Once the covers were removed (Kinda the key to the whole issue) I was able to see the valve stems although one side had both tires aligned so that the valve stems were at the same location which made things difficult. I had my local dealer put some extensions on and we were good to go. The trip to Pitsburgh went off without a hitch except the 80+ mile/hour winds that were clocked as we left. That was one heck of a first trip. My hand prints are imprinted in the steering wheel. I guess it's true what they say. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had a Dual Dynamics Crossfire system installed on my Class A as well. I had a huge issue with another product that cost me a ton of money and was the reason I switched over to this style unit but, for now, I'll be quiet on that until I see how the manufacturer handles their end of the responsibility.

The Crossfire is a great product that allows adding or deflating air from one central location. If there is an issue with one of the tires losing air, it isolates that tire so the other doesn't loose more than ten pounds of its rated pressure.

I always noticed a big pressure differental from the inner tire on a steel rim near the brakes as compared to the outer wheel on an aluminum rim being cooled by passing wind. The crossfire allows the pressure to remain balanced therefore more even tire wear.

I have no affiliation with this company, I'm just looking for a better way to deal with the pressure issues revolving around running dual rear wheels.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #13

If you have an F53 Ford chassis with the stainless steel wheel simulator covers, they are likely Dicor brand if they are original to the coach. Dicor makes a BOLT ON set of air extensions specificly to fit these wheel covers. I went through several sets of 'generic' extensions and all thier troubles until I was told about the Dicor branded ones.

They fit perfectly, bolt on so they do not flop around or require rivets/holes. They are firm when checking air pressure too. No troubles since installing them and they were no more expensive than the generic ones.

I bought the Dicor extensions from PPL but they were special order.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

I had the tire shop add these... I wish I had done this a lot sooner... I was having tires put on and mentioned this to them and they sold them to me and installed them for 60 bucks for the both sides.