RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

how's your AC doing?

I'm curious to know how well you all kept cool this summer. I have 2 Carrier heat pump units. They run 24-7 (almost). They have kept us kinda cool. in the mid to upper 80's or about 10 degrees cooler than outside. Right now it's 94 out and 84 in. Is that good or bad? I'd like it to be cooler in here. Of course when its 106 its worse. We use a floor fan that circulates the air helps a lot. Maybe we should get a third unit installed... or is that even possible?

Thanks, Ron

Danorske is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
'89 Gulfstream Hi-Rise.. had leak from PO baaaddd repair.. tore 4x6 foot of ceiling and insulation down.. one old coleman running on 20amp shore power, 95 degrees outside and 76 inside... All insulation in coach is 1.5" foam board in walls to 2" in ceiling.

If I dropped the air duct so the AC didnt suck part of its cold air back in, I could get it to 69... Does your AC cycle alot?

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, when it's cool enough out (Morn or Eve) go up and remove the covers, both the outer cover and the inner covers and clean clean clean, Everything that can be clened, A bit of quality lube on the fan/blower shaft likely will not hurt either.

Next, SHADE, Park in a shaded area, Pull the shades, Put REFLECT-X or other reflective material in the windows, or use external window covers, or both. Get as much sun out of and off of your rig as you can. Reduce the load on the A/C as much as possible.

This summer, Many are haveing "Keep cool" issues and the A/C is working 100%.

Final step.. Download the A/C service manual, or if you can not find it then get a "Generic" manual, check the inlet and outlet temps both inside and outside, and the humidity both inside and outside, in the manual is a chart.. Once you have those six figures, you go to the chart and it says "Good/Bad". I'm betting on good.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
'
If I dropped the air duct so the AC didnt suck part of its cold air back in, I could get it to 69... Does your AC cycle alot?
No, it did one day but it runs continually other times. The cold air coming out is 40ish.

wa8yxm,
What is the clean process? Same as the home condensor unit water spray?

Ron
Danorske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Cat

Three air conditioners. Third one i added. Works good, been comfortable to a 116F ambient. Thats with window awnings and sunscreen on windshield.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The main thing is to make sure the evaporator coil and filters are clean and you have no leaks in the air system. After operating the unis on high fan fro at least 15 minutes, measure the air temperature between the ait into the unit and the air exiting the unit. If you are getting 18 to 29 deg F across the evaporator, you are running at the maximum.

Other wise shade the windows, cover the roof vents and park in the shade. An RV in general is a poorly insulated box.

Ken
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
We are having a hard time keeping it cool. Will not buy another mostly black coach. Cannot imagine if the roof was also black. Thinking about adding a third unit in the center some place. We used reflective cell barrier on the windshield (inside) and it got so hot between the windshied and barrier I thought it might crack the windshield. Moved it to the outside and it helped alot. Part of the problem is the windshield is 55 inches tall and that is a lot of acreage that can heat up, even with the day and night shades down.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We are having a hard time keeping it cool. Will not buy another mostly black coach. Cannot imagine if the roof was also black. Thinking about adding a third unit in the center some place. We used reflective cell barrier on the windshield (inside) and it got so hot between the windshied and barrier I thought it might crack the windshield. Moved it to the outside and it helped alot. Part of the problem is the windshield is 55 inches tall and that is a lot of acreage that can heat up, even with the day and night shades down.
Doc:

We have the same issue with our Tuscany, and are sure considering a third AC Unit as well. Hoping to change to heat pumps when we add anything. Anyplace here in the southwest our units run 24/7 during the summer months and sometimes is barely livable. The dark color of our unit is probably an issue but I did not expect this problem when we purchased. We visited with some other higher-end coach owners on our last outing and they have the same issues, so it is apparently not just a Damon problem.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #9

Its not a Damon problem. Its a hot sun on a black coach problem. You either need a third ac unit to overcome the solar load or a different outside color or added insulation/sun shades to offset the load.

Black is a BAD color for any coach that will spend time in hot southern climates.

Our 38ft 2 slide Damon has no trouble maintaining 76deg inside on a 110 deg day. But its white and in bright sun, we use magna shades on the front windows.