RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

HWH 210 series pump relay location

Hi, I've been trying to find the pump relay on our Damon Challenger 330, the jacks packed up two weeks ago and checked everything except the pump relay.

HeavyTrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2. From across the pond.

8 hours time difference to the west coast of Canada.
Have to ask what year is your coach? 210 is an older system.

HWH manual , for the 210 series ,wiring diagrams show the relay attached to the pump motor at the reservoir. Same location as my 310 series.

If the whole system is down , be sure and check the fuses , some are inline and the " waterproof holders " have been know to fail.
If the pump motor won't run , when you by-pass the relay you might find this interesting.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/hwh-p...re-240908.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH 210 series.pdf (163.9 KB, 31 views)

Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Hi Skip426
our Damon is a 1998/9 model, ah I see what you mean, in the uk we call that a solenoid which I suppose is a stronger version of a relay, solenoid/relay works ok and so does the motor, local Damon/thor dealer told me I should look for a lighting type relay under the hood or inside the coach?
thanks for your help
Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTrucker View Post
Hi Skip426
our Damon is a 1998/9 model, ah I see what you mean, in the uk we call that a solenoid which I suppose is a stronger version of a relay, solenoid/relay works ok and so does the motor, local Damon/thor dealer told me I should look for a lighting type relay under the hood or inside the coach?
thanks for your help
I had 2 different HWH systems and the solenoid is held right on the pump motor with a clamp.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Relay ; solenoid , I guess somewhere in the past 4 decades the differences became blurred, the last starter relay I purchased had , relay/solenoid on the box.

Any how , if the pump runs , can you describe the problem your having .
Pump won't activate from the joy sticks ?
Pump activates but none of the jacks move?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

According to my mechanic friend, a solenoid activated a mechanical switch. A relay uses an electrical current to operate a non mechanical switch. On my coach the hwh relay is under the front with the pump. If you have someone jog the switch, you should be able to hear the relay if it is operating. Mine has a fuse in an extra panel we found under the center console in the dash. If you have an hwh slide, it also uses the same pump. If the slide works, it is running the same pump. If you have electric slides it is different.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
According to my mechanic friend, a solenoid activated a mechanical switch. A relay uses an electrical current to operate a non mechanical switch. On my coach the hwh relay is under the front with the pump. If you have someone jog the switch, you should be able to hear the relay if it is operating. Mine has a fuse in an extra panel we found under the center console in the dash. If you have an hwh slide, it also uses the same pump. If the slide works, it is running the same pump. If you have electric slides it is different.
Don't care what you mechanic friend says, this is a solenoid. And it is what controls most pumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	171221  

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

hi skip426
pump won't activate from the controls, found a crack in the solenoid side wall so now have one on order also renewed fused earth white wire(6230) from the pump ground stud.
thanks again
Old 08-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
Don't care what you mechanic friend says, this is a solenoid. And it is what controls most pumps.
Can we move the debate ; over the parts name ;elsewhere please .
Or maybe go with the name given the part by HWH, in the wiring/troubleshooting manual.
This kind of discussion doesn't help the OP with his problem.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Commercial Member

skips right, semantics get in the way of the conversation, especially in auto repairs.
for instance, tar in alabama means tire most other places, as does plars, which is pliers. i was raised in alabama, and am still misunderstood in many places.
the 12 volt relay is mounted on top of the pump motor by a radiator hose clamp.
there is a picture of it, and its location in the service manual.
the service manual is a very important part of any diagnosis. its much easier to follow what others have done with great success, than to muddle thru by yourself, relying on others that do not have the experience of the guy who writes the manual.
im not trying to diminish the help provided on this forum. most of time its great advise, ive used information found here many times, also with great success.
besides saving time looking for advise, the manual provides solutions that have been tried and true for a long time.
even i rely on the manuals because of the diversity of our systems. especially on electrical issues.
ive found that you dont have to know everything, you have to know where find it, or who to ask.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, hwh