RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

Intellitec Battery Control Center

Hi all,

I need some help understanding what is wrong with my BCC.

Two new house Batts 6 golf cart style

1.5 year old chassis batt.

Intellitec 635-100 BCC.

Replaced board, replaced Isolator Relay. Everything works except charging of chassis batt on shore power. Batt disconnect properly disconnects both sets of batteries. Aux start works just fine. I have proper voltage on J1, all fuses are okay. Cannot find loose wires or bad ground.

Could I be looking at a bad disconnect relay even though it latches for aux start?

Thanks..
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #2

635-100? Check your model number again...

Here is an excerpt from the BCC troubleshooting publication:

Auxiliary Start and Charging Relay Functions
The auxiliary start relay parallels the coach and chassis batteries in the event it is
desired to start the vehicle with a dead chassis battery. In addition, the relay
controls charging of the batteries as a set. (refer to figure 5 gasoline and figure 6
diesel - auxiliary start relay - partial schematic for details)
The relay is actuated from the driver's console by pushing the auxiliary start
button. Coach battery power appears at P4 #2 after passing through fuse F17
and is applied to the dash mounted auxiliary start switch. The other side of the
switch is connected to P4 #10. On gasoline models P4 #10 is wired to P1 #5 and
then through fuse F20 (F22 for rev C) to P3 #1 before being wired to the auxiliary
start relay. The relay is mounted externally from the battery control center on
diesel coaches.

For battery charging service, relay behavior depends upon revision level and
coach type:
Gas Rev A, B Gas Rev C & up
Diesel Rev A, B Diesel Rev C & up
Relay pull-in 13.2VDC 13.2VDC
Relay drop out (ignition on) 12.2VDC 12.2VDC
Relay drop out (ignition off) 12.2VDC 12.6VDC
Thus, with later revision boards and with ignition off, the auxiliary start/charging
relay will drop out sooner (12.6VDC) to retain a greater amount of charge in the
chassis battery. It is normal for the charging relay to remain pulled in after the
engine is turned off. Coil current is approximately 1/2A for both models. The
diesel model has a heavier, intermittent duty coil. To enable the coil to be
continuously energized, full voltage is applied for 1/2 second and then the coil is
pulsed at approximately 50% duty cycle. Thus, a voltmeter will read about 6VDC
when the diesel relay is operating normally in closed position.
Gasoline and diesel models of Rev B and alter sense voltage from both the
ignition terminal and coach battery disconnect terminal. This allows the chassis
battery to be charged from the converter when on shore power. Necessary
conditions are : coach battery disconnect engaged, shore power on, converter
operating, and coach battery charged above 13.2VDC. When these conditions
are met the auxiliary charging relay will pull in and both batteries will be charged
in parallel.

Troubleshooting Auxiliary Start/Charging Relay
Normally, one can hear the auxiliary start/charging relay pull in when the auxiliary
start button is pressed. Battery voltage must appear on P4 #2. If not, replace fuse
F17. Pressing the auxiliary start switch energizes P4 #10. If so, check for a faulty
switch or wiring in the coach. For diesel coaches check fuse F20 (F22 for rev C).
Also, by removing the plug from P3 (diesel) one can measure coil resistance
between pins 1 and 2 to ensure that the coach wiring and relay coil are not
damaged. With the relay pulled in, there should be zero volts across the load
(large) terminals on the relay. On diesel coaches, this checks that the relay is
making contact under charging conditions (relay coil being pulsed).
Once the auxiliary start function is verified, any deviation from proper charging
operation requires replacement of the electronic circuit board.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
635-100? Check your model number again...

Here is an excerpt from the BCC troubleshooting publication:

Auxiliary Start and Charging Relay Functions
The auxiliary start relay parallels the coach and chassis batteries in the event it is
desired to start the vehicle with a dead chassis battery. In addition, the relay
controls charging of the batteries as a set. (refer to figure 5 gasoline and figure 6
diesel - auxiliary start relay - partial schematic for details)
The relay is actuated from the driver's console by pushing the auxiliary start
button. Coach battery power appears at P4 #2 after passing through fuse F17
and is applied to the dash mounted auxiliary start switch. The other side of the
switch is connected to P4 #10. On gasoline models P4 #10 is wired to P1 #5 and
then through fuse F20 (F22 for rev C) to P3 #1 before being wired to the auxiliary
start relay. The relay is mounted externally from the battery control center on
diesel coaches.

For battery charging service, relay behavior depends upon revision level and
coach type:
Gas Rev A, B Gas Rev C & up
Diesel Rev A, B Diesel Rev C & up
Relay pull-in 13.2VDC 13.2VDC
Relay drop out (ignition on) 12.2VDC 12.2VDC
Relay drop out (ignition off) 12.2VDC 12.6VDC
Thus, with later revision boards and with ignition off, the auxiliary start/charging
relay will drop out sooner (12.6VDC) to retain a greater amount of charge in the
chassis battery. It is normal for the charging relay to remain pulled in after the
engine is turned off. Coil current is approximately 1/2A for both models. The
diesel model has a heavier, intermittent duty coil. To enable the coil to be
continuously energized, full voltage is applied for 1/2 second and then the coil is
pulsed at approximately 50% duty cycle. Thus, a voltmeter will read about 6VDC
when the diesel relay is operating normally in closed position.
Gasoline and diesel models of Rev B and alter sense voltage from both the
ignition terminal and coach battery disconnect terminal. This allows the chassis
battery to be charged from the converter when on shore power. Necessary
conditions are : coach battery disconnect engaged, shore power on, converter
operating, and coach battery charged above 13.2VDC. When these conditions
are met the auxiliary charging relay will pull in and both batteries will be charged
in parallel.

Troubleshooting Auxiliary Start/Charging Relay
Normally, one can hear the auxiliary start/charging relay pull in when the auxiliary
start button is pressed. Battery voltage must appear on P4 #2. If not, replace fuse
F17. Pressing the auxiliary start switch energizes P4 #10. If so, check for a faulty
switch or wiring in the coach. For diesel coaches check fuse F20 (F22 for rev C).
Also, by removing the plug from P3 (diesel) one can measure coil resistance
between pins 1 and 2 to ensure that the coach wiring and relay coil are not
damaged. With the relay pulled in, there should be zero volts across the load
(large) terminals on the relay. On diesel coaches, this checks that the relay is
making contact under charging conditions (relay coil being pulsed).
Once the auxiliary start function is verified, any deviation from proper charging
operation requires replacement of the electronic circuit board.
Thanks for the info. This is not the System I have. My system is much older. I have no F17. It looks like I only have 5 to the disconnect relay and zero volts to the isolator relay. The isolator does energize when I hit the aux start. It is a new relay and a new board. Not sure where to go from here.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #4

Oh yours is an intellitec. I missed that info in your post.I posted info the the BCC from RV Custom.. sorry!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Hi all,

I need some help understanding what is wrong with my BCC.

Two new house Batts 6 golf cart style

1.5 year old chassis batt.

Intellitec 635-100 BCC.

Replaced board, replaced Isolator Relay. Everything works except charging of chassis batt on shore power. Batt disconnect properly disconnects both sets of batteries. Aux start works just fine. I have proper voltage on J1, all fuses are okay. Cannot find loose wires or bad ground.

Could I be looking at a bad disconnect relay even though it latches for aux start?

Thanks..
Bill
A question: Do the coach batteries charge from the convertor when on shore power? On my Challenger, the converter powers the DC distribution panel, then the power goes through a circuit breaker to the auxiliary battery disconnect solenoid in the BCC. The solenoid connects to the coach batteries and to the isolator relay which connects to the chassis battery. I can turn the auxiliary battery disconnect OFF keeping power to the distribution panel. If the saleman's switch is OFF, the coach and chassis batteries will not charge.

In your thread you mention the disconnect relay that latches for auxiliary start. The disconnect relay ties the coach batteries to the convertor and distribution panel, the isolator relay isolates the chassis and auxiliary batteries or ties them together via the BIRD or aux start switch. This clariification is to ensure your looking at the right components when reading the BCC manual. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

Hi teddyu,
Thanks for the response. I had a poor choice of words. The disconnect relay is working perfectly. In my rig the disconnect switch is by the entrance. It properly disconnects both sets of Batts from the circuit.
The house batt do charge from all sources. The chassis Batts do not charge from the converter. What I meant to say was the isolator relay properly latches when I hit the aux start button I do not seem to be getting any voltage to latch when charging from the converter. I replaced the board and isolator relay, but since the continuous latching voltage comes from the bird relay on the board I have to conclude I have a bad board even though it is new.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi teddyu,
Thanks for the response. I had a poor choice of words. The disconnect relay is working perfectly. In my rig the disconnect switch is by the entrance. It properly disconnects both sets of Batts from the circuit.
The house batt do charge from all sources. The chassis Batts do not charge from the converter. What I meant to say was the isolator relay properly latches when I hit the aux start button I do not seem to be getting any voltage to latch when charging from the converter. I replaced the board and isolator relay, but since the continuous latching voltage comes from the bird relay on the board I have to conclude I have a bad board even though it is new.
Agree! JM2...
Old 06-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

Did you find 13.5vdc at the feed side of both relays? Big wire side.

I don't think yours is a single disconnect BCC but...photos are always a good thing.

EDIT: whoops...the 635-100 IS a single disconnect. You've a new pwb and the problem stayed the same? If the coach battery bank is charging hard the pwb will keep the chassis battery from charging for a time.

My chassis battery failure to charge has always been the dirty lower silver relay...but you say you've replaced it. It is warm? (actuated)

Troubleshooting help diagram at http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intel...ryControls.htm
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Hi dwhit,

Yes I have 13.5 on the feed side of both relays. The bottom relay is not latching. I have zero volts on the small terminal of the bottom or isolator relay. It will only latch when I hit the aux start. It is possible I had a bad relay. I changed the board first, no changes. Then the relay. I suspect I had a bad relay, but when I changed out the board it was bad. Then I swapped the relay with no change. I am going to put in the old board and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi dwhit,

Yes I have 13.5 on the feed side of both relays. The bottom relay is not latching. I have zero volts on the small terminal of the bottom or isolator relay. It will only latch when I hit the aux start. It is possible I had a bad relay. I changed the board first, no changes. Then the relay. I suspect I had a bad relay, but when I changed out the board it was bad. Then I swapped the relay with no change. I am going to put in the old board and see what happens.
If you have power on both sides of the relay, I believe the BIRD grounds the output via an electronic relay. Same with the aux start switch. ARE YOU sure the board is grounded properly. JM2...
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

I have charging power on both sides of the disconnect relay. I only have chassis power on the output side if the isolator relay
Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #12

TEDDYU...I recall some time ago that grounding of the pwb subject in an old post in the archives. That is something to look at. Was that a burnt trace issue? If the pwb has a bad ground then it will never ground the relay.

So Redapple...the silver relay is NOT warm and 13.5vdc is at the feed terminal and whatever your chassis battery is on the chassis terminal. What is your chassis battery voltage? PDF I'm reading says voltage at COACH battery bank must be 13.2 for relay to engage? "Necessary conditions are: coach battery disconnect engaged, shore power on, converter operating, and coach battery (bank) charged above 13.2VDC. When these conditions are met, the auxiliary charging relay will pull in and both batteries will be charged in parallel."

It could the pwb...check for that ground on the pwb which would bring in that relay. If these conditions are met, and the relay fails to engage to charge the chassis battery they say it's the pwb. New pwb and new relay...I'm going in circles too I see.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...69837884,d.cWc
Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #13

Voltage at the chassis batt is 12.4.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

Yep...it's not getting charged.

Coach batteries are at 13.5?

Any change when you replaced the pwb back to the original?

Tags
battery