RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Intruder questions, opinions please.

Looking at a very nice, near new condition, low mileage (14K) 2003 Intruder to buy.
Needs tires and that is all as far as I can see at this point. I can get it for maybe under $30K.

I know about the windshield issue and this one has already experienced it. That alone made me walk, but I was asked to come back and give it another look at a lower price. They had the windshield repaired by a local RV shop who also builds high end custom motorhomes, so the experience is there. I believe I have heard, though they are older post, that the only real fix is at the factory. Feedback on that would be appreciated.

The calipers were factory replaced as per a recall.

What else should I worry about with this particular make and model?
A bit worried that a loaded 38' is pushing the limit of the Chevy gas chassis and the 19.5 tires.

Thanks

Greg
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
In their time the Intruder had many options that others did not. I Owned a Intruder once. The window had moved but never came out. I would reseal when it appeared to need it. Never had it leak. Had friends who had Intruders..... same windshield issue. One even went back to the factory, Not long after it returned, it looked the same. Popping out in the top passenger side corner.
Ok...... will the gas Work Horse have enough power, YES.
Concerns, I would have...... some recalls on the Work Horse. Issues my fellow WH RVer's have had, Ignition, Brakes, Brake Calipers, rear axle and parking brake issues.

Many folks who have WH chassis love them, others who have been stranded have come to hate them.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #3

I have a 2004 Intruder that i got last year for a great price. After almost a year I can say with all honesty that its a damn fine coach! Yes, its 38 feet and big and has a gas engine. But it will pull up any hill no problem. It will just be a little slower than a diesel on the really steep hills. I tow a 4K lb trailer at times and it handles it just fine.

tires really should be a 22.5 on those. Are you sure about the year?

Brakes are no problem either. Its an easy fix. I ride up and down steep grades with confidence in the motor to take me up and the brakes to get me down.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
I have a 2004 Intruder that i got last year for a great price. After almost a year I can say with all honesty that its a damn fine coach! Yes, its 38 feet and big and has a gas engine. But it will pull up any hill no problem. It will just be a little slower than a diesel on the really steep hills. I tow a 4K lb trailer at times and it handles it just fine.

tires really should be a 22.5 on those. Are you sure about the year?

Brakes are no problem either. Its an easy fix. I ride up and down steep grades with confidence in the motor to take me up and the brakes to get me down.
Thanks for the input.
Well, I have not check papers to confirm it's an 03. If it is an 03 then I gather it's an early one as the tires are from 02. (scary how people leave these old tires on).
But this is interesting about size change maybe, and just when they may have done so. I know Mini Coopers quite well and know that the 2003 suspension was changed during the production in May. Maybe wheel size was changed on the Intruder during production in 03????
You have 22.5 on yours I gather you are saying.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mine had 19.5 tires...... it depended on the the year of the Chassis, you could have a 2003 coach built late in the year of 2002 which was built on a 2002 chassis.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Hmmm, .. so now this is a new issue to deal wit I guess. I think that in fact it must be an early 2003 on a 2002 chassis. Not sure how happy I am with using the smaller wheels on such a large rig. Any feedback on this issue would be great.
How much do new 22.5 aluminum wheels cost?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 Damon Intruder workhorse chassis with a Allison transmission on the 19.5 wheels. There is no problem with the power and the Allison transmission is great. Since buying it almost 2 years ago my major expenses have been, 6. New Michelin tires, replacement of the refrigerator cooling unit and replacement of the oven/stove. I probably could've got away with rebuilding the stove but decided on the replacement. The shocks and brakes were upgraded prior to me purchasing the unit. Also the rear a/c was replaced. I tinkered with a number of other things inside outside but all in all I've been happy with our coach.

My only current struggles are a finicky leveling system and small water leak on the passenger side window. I'll need to re-coat the roof within the next year.

I have towed a trailer and golf cart down to Florida back to Virginia. Also I have towed a Toyota Camry on a tow dolly and soon will be towing a Honda Fit. We have two young children and mainly do weekend camping.
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
Hmmm, .. so now this is a new issue to deal wit I guess. I think that in fact it must be an early 2003 on a 2002 chassis. Not sure how happy I am with using the smaller wheels on such a large rig. Any feedback on this issue would be great.
How much do new 22.5 aluminum wheels cost?
DITTO TO MESSAGE ABOVE......... I had 19.5 wheels until 2008. Do not see much difference. Except for tire cost.

Aluminum wheels - $$$$$$$ , Probably $300 - $400 a piece, plus lug nuts and tires.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

Yep... I'm on 22's

Just buy the damn thing already. its as good a coach as you'll find for $30K

the engine and tranny are just fine. there is very little difference for me towing a trailer over mostly flat terrain. I just turned off the overdrive at times and it pulls great.

I got mine used last year with about 22K on it. The only thing I've really done to it was to add two extra 6V batteries (I dry camp a lot) and put in a fancier shower head. The levelers don't come down far enough at times, but I sound like every other RV owner when I say that. I keep wood blocks in the side compartment.

Oh, I did have to get the proper valve extenders so I could air up my own tires. I use a craftsman air compressor that I keep in a side compartment.

Again, great coach at a great price.

Good Luck
Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #10

Haaa..... Yes, I know, .. I need to just buy the thing! I have a DP to look at tomorrow for $10K more, so I will have a good idea what I will do by the weekend I think. Spending $30K of something like this Intruder is a great value I feel for all that you get. Guess I get nervous when I might think it's a good deal. LOL
If it was not such a 'time capsule' in the interior decor, it would be a much easier decision. Also that windshield is a worry.
Thanks everyone for your input. I will let ya know.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
Yep... I'm on 22's

Just buy the damn thing already. its as good a coach as you'll find for $30K

the engine and tranny are just fine. there is very little difference for me towing a trailer over mostly flat terrain. I just turned off the overdrive at times and it pulls great.

I got mine used last year with about 22K on it. The only thing I've really done to it was to add two extra 6V batteries (I dry camp a lot) and put in a fancier shower head. The levelers don't come down far enough at times, but I sound like every other RV owner when I say that. I keep wood blocks in the side compartment.

Oh, I did have to get the proper valve extenders so I could air up my own tires. I use a craftsman air compressor that I keep in a side compartment.

Again, great coach at a great price.

Good Luck

You statement sounds just like my intruder. Two new 6v batteries, fancy shower head, jack extension problem you can live with, valve extenders. Right down to the craftsman air compressor in the side compartment. I did buy new tires. I paid 20k for my 1999 two years ago, very happy. Just need to update the 80's interior.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #12

Think I actually may buy this thing this weekend if test drive goes well. Just a little worried about driving it with the original 2002 tires.
Excited. Not my first choice, but the best financial choice at this time. I think it's good enough all around not to loose very much, or any money if I sell it in a year and move on one way or the other.
Thanks all again for the input
Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #13

Just don't drive too fast and give extract space between you and the car in front if you drive it home. My experience driving home for the first time. Driving in Houston TX going 70 on the highway, have maybe 10 mile under my belt of driving the beast, up comes an overpass with a 90 degree turn. Scared the crap out of me, thought it was going to roll off the overpass. Learned real quick it's not a car. Take it easy, pay attention, and plan ahead. Good luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
Think I actually may buy this thing this weekend if test drive goes well. Just a little worried about driving it with the original 2002 tires.
Excited. Not my first choice, but the best financial choice at this time. I think it's good enough all around not to loose very much, or any money if I sell it in a year and move on one way or the other.
Thanks all again for the input
Did you buy it?

You won't sell it in a year. You'll update the interior for a few thousand bucks, maybe change out something else or add something... then you'll sit back and think about how much fun your having and the money you saved.