RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #365
Senior Member
 
Jim Estes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Jim, I'm out of warranty but it sounds like not that much gain. So, I guess I'll trudge on with the power as is.

Yep...towing the little Captiva is not a drag on Tessie...mountains will make her tongue hang out...but that is to be expected. I will eventually trade for a 42 Tag with at least a 400 in it...maybe a 450 if I stick with Thor products...I wonder how much power the 380 ISB has in the Winnies/Tiffons/fleetwoods...

Still love the coach and floor plan though!
__________________
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #366
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Yep...towing the little Captiva is not a drag on Tessie...mountains will make her tongue hang out...but that is to be expected. I will eventually trade for a 42 Tag with at least a 400 in it...maybe a 450 if I stick with Thor products...I wonder how much power the 380 ISB has in the Winnies/Tiffons/fleetwoods...

Still love the coach and floor plan though!
Jim, you have the 300hp as well, correct? Which mountains do you mention?
Maybe I'm just used to steady climbing to the top at a good steady speed from my experience of running my F350 diesel with 35' TT or Artic Fox cab-over & 20' car hauler behind. I just haven't noticed the Astoria having really any difficulty climbing hills, but we have only been towards SD, TN, VA, & FL from Texas in her. In fact, the last trip to TN I had 4 Harley's in the trailer. Heaviest I've ever been and we were flying. :-). Time schedule & DW was not with me. The F350 I had over the Grapevine, Tahachapie, & Donner pass.
__________________
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
Normally 20' V-nose cargo trailer in tow with Harley & Golf cart.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #367
Senior Member
 
Jim Estes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 504
360 HP...its got power and climbs pretty well...Black Mountain...I-40... long grade...run about 48 up it...
__________________
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #368
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
360 HP...its got power and climbs pretty well...Black Mountain...I-40... long grade...run about 48 up it...
Ok, thanks. Guess I feel pretty fortunate with mine. I think I only have a 300 ISB with I know an 2500mm Allison and it climbs great at ~50 on long hills that we have hit. That's pulling the 20' car hauler with bikes.
__________________
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
Normally 20' V-nose cargo trailer in tow with Harley & Golf cart.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #369
Member
 
LEZM3's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Full Timing America
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf35099 View Post
Ok, thanks. Guess I feel pretty fortunate with mine. I think I only have a 300 ISB with I know an 2500mm Allison and it climbs great at ~50 on long hills that we have hit. That's pulling the 20' car hauler with bikes.
Well we have transit Ted Wyoming across through Yellowstone and through the Grand Tetons (Teton Pass). Yup; we did Teton Pass with our Astoria 3470 with our Ford Flex in tow. We did the east to west transit without incident and managed 20mph (25mph speed zone) up the 10% grades. Happy with Cummings 30th and Allison 2500. Believe better results (mph) with our big toad.
__________________
LEZM3
2010 Astoria 3470
2009 Ford Flex LTD
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #370
Member
 
lawestfal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Hi Gents,
Looking for a nice park on the Gulf Side of FL for 3 months Jan, Feb, March that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and my first born. Trying to keep the budget under 1,000/mo. So hard to tell online.

Any experience or suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks a bunch.
__________________
Bob & Laurie
2012 Astoria 36mq
lawestfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #371
Senior Member
 
SteveOGilroy's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livingston, TX
Posts: 367
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Red face We have power from the sun!

We have solar, 810W (6-135W panels, 2800W inverter).

We used AM Solar in Eugene, Or. Install was done by Marvin Braun (owner of Precision RV Service, Inc) who is managing the installs this summer.

Very good experience. Now to learn how to use it all.

I posted a photo in photos/class a. I'd post it here but I have misplaced the how to post a photo instructions.

Steve of Gilroy
2008 Damon Astoria 3786.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	69543  
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #372
Member
 
LEZM3's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Full Timing America
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
We have solar, 810W (6-135W panels, 2800W inverter).

We used AM Solar in Eugene, Or. Install was done by Marvin Braun (owner of Precision RV Service, Inc) who is managing the installs this summer.

Very good experience. Now to learn how to use it all.

I posted a photo in photos/class a. I'd post it here but I have misplaced the how to post a photo instructions.

Steve of Gilroy
2008 Damon Astoria 3786.
Yahoo! As you may recall we had AM Solar install Mar in Naples FL. We had 4ea 160 panels w/2000W Magnum Inverter and Tristar MP60 & 2 additional 6vdc 230ah batteries (6 total). Needless to say, we have been totally pleased. Handled 14-day dry camping spell with flying colors.
currently we are in Boise area, heading to FMCA Rally in Redmond, OR 13 August. Maybe we will run across each other.
congrats Steve.
Vince
__________________
LEZM3
2010 Astoria 3470
2009 Ford Flex LTD
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #373
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawestfal View Post
Hi Gents,
Looking for a nice park on the Gulf Side of FL for 3 months Jan, Feb, March that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and my first born. Trying to keep the budget under 1,000/mo. So hard to tell online.

Any experience or suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks a bunch.
Sorry guys. I'm just not all that familiar with FL. Only been twice in the last 10 years & it was for Daytona bike week. .
__________________
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
Normally 20' V-nose cargo trailer in tow with Harley & Golf cart.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #374
Senior Member
 
Jim Estes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 504
Just got back from Gatlinburg...1100 miles round trip. Averaged 9.7 MPG which I thought was pretty good pullin all those hills. Tessie performed flawlessly! I did loose a fascia part off my forward awning arm...check your butt screws on the butt cap right below it and make sure they are tight;-(Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407411434.823764.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	654.7 KB
ID:	70104
__________________
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #375
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Okanagan Valley BC
Posts: 201
Cheers. Will check when the sun comes up.
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #376
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Just got back from Gatlinburg...1100 miles round trip. Averaged 9.7 MPG which I thought was pretty good pullin all those hills. Tessie performed flawlessly! I did loose a fascia part off my forward awning arm...check your butt screws on the butt cap right below it and make sure they are tight;-(Attachment 70104

We love the Gatlinburg area. Went there a couple years ago & stayed in Pigeon Forge and road the Harley all ove the place. Beautiful area. We averaged 8.2 on the trip in the coach pulling the trailer with 2 Harley's & the golf cart. I was really pleased.
__________________
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
Normally 20' V-nose cargo trailer in tow with Harley & Golf cart.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #377
Senior Member
 
dsbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 636
Jim,

9.7 is awesome, about the best I get is 8.3 but I do keep my foot into it pretty hard usually run 70.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #378
Senior Member
 
Jim Estes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 504
Yeah...I run about 63/64 ish ...scared of a steering tire blowout I guess. We stay at Smokey Bear campground out 321 near Cosby....our all time favorite campground...close to crafters row in Gatlinburg and close to the trout streams I like to fish in the park...
__________________
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.