Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #617

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Maybe manufactured in 2010 but the model year is 2011? My model year is 2008 but manufactured date in 2007, delivered to the dealer in August 2008 and we took delivery in Sept 2008. Paperwork- sticker says 2008.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #618

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBenson View Post
I am typically just a reader of this thread just to continue to learn more about these Coaches from all of your wisdom and experiences.....however thought I would add that I just upgraded my 13,500 heat pumps with 2 new Penguins 15,000 heat pump on my 2008 Astoria -- and what a difference. We have two daughters that play travel softball so our coach spends the majority of its time at softball fields every weekend on the hot asphalt--- and we all enjoy coming into a nice cold RV after a hot game.

DBenson
Really good info. Where your original AC units the Carrier units with the remote that controlled the AC and gas furnace? Do the Penguins interface with the furnace? Did you need to modify the control units? Do the Penguins interface with the AC duck work? Which models of Penguins? I think we'll upgrade next year.

Who did the install? Oh and what about the general cost?

Lots of questions....

Thanks in advance...
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #619

Slide out maintenance

Good Morning,
Does anyone do any kind of maintenance on their slide outs? I wasn't sure if we should be greasing them periodically. If so, what to use?
Thankyou!
lawestfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcanuck View Post
Great. Look forward to seeing what you have. What year is your Astoria. Mine is titled as a 2011 but that was a quirk of licensing authorities. It has a 2010 body, a 2010 chassis. I guess if it looks like a 2010 and walks like a 2010, it is - right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436381856.622198.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	99500

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #621

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Attachment 99500

2011 Damon Astoria
That's the panel over the entry door -right? Mine does not have the instruments below the toggle switches like yours. I believe yours is a true 2011 whereas mine somehow got titled as a 2011 but it's really a 2010. Same front cap as 09.08 etc which is different to yours. Mine has headlights stacked vertically.
Thanks for the info. I will continue to be envious of those with Power Management Systems!
Phil & Val pulling 2011 GMC Terrain
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #622

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Really good info. Where your original AC units the Carrier units with the remote that controlled the AC and gas furnace? Do the Penguins interface with the furnace? Did you need to modify the control units? Do the Penguins interface with the AC duck work? Which models of Penguins? I think we'll upgrade next year.

Who did the install? Oh and what about the general cost?

Lots of questions....

Thanks in advance...

Steve - my original units were Carrier with remotes - I began to have trouble with one of the units only to find out Carrier does not make these anymore. This gave me the perfect "reason" to convince DW that it was time for an upgrade. The Penguin II replaced the carriage units perfectly and I also replaced the remote controls with a digital control center that Dometic offers with the penguins. I believe there is also a conversion kit that Dometic has allowing you to use the Carrier devices but I was ready to replace all.
These new units use all the same ductwork that the Carrier did with an added feature of being able to open the ceiling assembly vent directly below the roof top unit and dump all the cool air in one space vs running thru the ducts. My kids like this after a hot game to simply stand below the unit and dump cold air on them as if it were a shower.
I was able to get this all done for $3700 --- I was able to find a master rv Tech in our area to do this...Camping world was going to be in the +$4K too high range.

Related to prices - he also gave me quotes for different options...
*Without heat pumps - $2900
*One heat pump and one without - $3300
*13,500 heat pump in back and 15,000 heat pump up front - $3500
(I was considering this last option since my back bedroom stays pretty cool, it is usually the front of the coach that sometimes struggles to stay cool on hot summer days)
But in the end I went with the $3700 to replace both with 15,000's

Hope that is helpful
dtb
DBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBenson View Post
Steve - my original units were Carrier with remotes - I began to have trouble with one of the units only to find out Carrier does not make these anymore. This gave me the perfect "reason" to convince DW that it was time for an upgrade. The Penguin II replaced the carriage units perfectly and I also replaced the remote controls with a digital control center that Dometic offers with the penguins. I believe there is also a conversion kit that Dometic has allowing you to use the Carrier devices but I was ready to replace all.
These new units use all the same ductwork that the Carrier did with an added feature of being able to open the ceiling assembly vent directly below the roof top unit and dump all the cool air in one space vs running thru the ducts. My kids like this after a hot game to simply stand below the unit and dump cold air on them as if it were a shower.
I was able to get this all done for $3700 --- I was able to find a master rv Tech in our area to do this...Camping world was going to be in the +$4K too high range.

Related to prices - he also gave me quotes for different options...
*Without heat pumps - $2900
*One heat pump and one without - $3300
*13,500 heat pump in back and 15,000 heat pump up front - $3500
(I was considering this last option since my back bedroom stays pretty cool, it is usually the front of the coach that sometimes struggles to stay cool on hot summer days)
But in the end I went with the $3700 to replace both with 15,000's

Hope that is helpful
dtb

I put in the coleman 15k BTU heat pump units in Sept of '13 and only cost about $1700.

2011 Damon Astoria
Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #624

Yep - there is no doubt there are less expensive options for everyone - where yours low profile ? Or the larger units? I wanted to get good product and make sure they were low profile like what I already had - penguins are alittle more on the pricier side on market - in asking a lot of folks about ac, penguins kept coming up so I went with alittle more on the money side - really happy with outcome so far
Thanks for providing more options for everyone
Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #625

Mine are low profile. Maybe not as low as Penguins but I replaced Coleman with Coleman so I did not have to change control panel. I have been very happy with the extra output. As I am sure you will be too.

Sorry if I offended you. I did not intend to do so. I was just illustrating options.

2011 Damon Astoria
Old 07-10-2015, 06:13 AM   #626

A different subject...but we met a guy this spring that has a 2011 Astoria and he had Alliance Coach down in Fl install a residential refridgerator for approx $3 grand...and it looked perfect...also he did not upgrade his Magnum Energy inverter/converter...and has had zero energy problems. When ours breaks...I will most definitely do this mod...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Mine are low profile. Maybe not as low as Penguins but I replaced Coleman with Coleman so I did not have to change control panel. I have been very happy with the extra output. As I am sure you will be too.

Sorry if I offended you. I did not intend to do so. I was just illustrating options.

2011 Damon Astoria

No way on any of the offending - I think it is great that we all can all share our experiences to help other owners make best decision for their coach - this is great stuff ! Thanks again for all your input - I gain way too much wisdom on this thread about my Astoria thanks to others like you
Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #628

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
A different subject...but we met a guy this spring that has a 2011 Astoria and he had Alliance Coach down in Fl install a residential refridgerator for approx $3 grand...and it looked perfect...also he did not upgrade his Magnum Energy inverter/converter...and has had zero energy problems. When ours breaks...I will most definitely do this mod...
We upgraded to residentail fridge shortly after purchasing our coach (Samsung 197) and did not upgrade Magnum inverter/converter and have never had energy problems. The install looks like it was always there, cost was about 2K including fridge and since the Nevercold 1200 had only been used for 3 wks was able to sell it for 600. The only issue with these upgrades I have found is that the residential fridge in new coaches seem to have a different mechanism to keep doors closed while underway. For one thing they are much harder to open than a regular residential fridge. It has been necessary to use velcro to keep upper doors closed and a strap to keep freezer closed and that is not the case with new coach fridges coming from fractory. To keep food in place I purchased refridgerator containers (clear plastic boxes) from Bed. Bath & Beyond and they keep things from falling out when you open to doors.

FYI, we purchased our fridge from AJ Madison and had it shipped to the location of the install, saved the tax and it was free shipping and price of the fridge was several hundred dollars less than Home Depot or Lowe's. AJ Madison is out of NY and we live near Kansas City so it shipped 1/2 way across country.
bbunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #629

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Does anyone know where the hot water tank bypass valves are on a 2010 (and earlier)
Damon Astoria. Thanks
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #630

It should be close to the tank...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436786540.992329.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	99966

Mine is a 2011...and is located in the aft pass through...behind a hinged door...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote