Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #659

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Damaged Cargo Door ordered from manufacturer

a1snowman
I understand this may be prying in private affairs.
But can you give me an idea as to how you went about ordering a factory Cargo Door replacement, the cost as well as a time frame for the overall process.
Mine a 2006 Astoria, Pacific 36ft
baldtbird.06
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #660

Damon Owners Club
I actually ended up getting 2 doors at different times. The dealer charged me $400.00 for the first one and $500.00 for the second one. I think I paid freight on both of them too. The first one was stolen from my trunk on the way home. Shouldn't have stopped for dinner.

I did the work myself, paid about $150.00 for paint and supplies, and painted it myself. I have had experience with a paint gun and it is probably not something most people should tackle, but it worked out well for me.
a1snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #661

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Jeepers! sorry to hear that you had a cargo door knicked out of your trunk. I didn't know they had value for a few shots of crack which is what most stuff is stolen for these days.
Your skill with a spray gun is what made the finished job a success. I have tried a couple of times and it's been a disaster. Good job - well done
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #662

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We've talked in the past about ride comfort and I have posted that I installed Bilstien shocks and noticed a big improvement. However I am still not totally happy with my comfort ride particularly on 2 lane roads. To my non expert mind the governing factors of ride comfort would be tires, inflation of tires,shocks, loading of coach & air bags. Have I missed anything? Does anyone have ideas or opinions on what could be done to improve or maximize the level of drive comfort? My coach has the Freightliner XRC chassis which is the D/P standard for Thor products and obviously I can't change. I have Goodyear G670 RV 255/70R 22.5 tires and am still experimenting with pressures. The dealer saleman said it would go down the highway like a caddy. I would sure like to get to that level!
All ideas & comments appreciated
Old 09-10-2015, 05:19 AM   #663

Brit I replaced the tires with XZA2s in June and that has made a huge difference. In fact while driving Houston to Gulf Shores and back in July I had to be careful to keep the speed down. I have ordered the Bilstiens and will install then as soon as the fronts arrive. I will say that the difference the tires make is amazing to me. Quiet, smooth and very stable.

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #664

Brit, Like dsbear, when I had new tires put on the ride got even smoother. My coach originally had Michelin and a buddy of mine that owns a tire store recommended Double Coin. They were on the lower side of cost and I was a little skeptical, but after some research I agreed to buy them and they have been outstanding with driving and wear. I've got right at 30,000 miles on these tires and could not have asked for a better tire. (Not promoting them, just my own opinion on these tires).

When I purchased my Astoria, the deal came with the RV being delivered to my house in TX from AZ. The gentleman that drove my DP said he had been doing it for about 14 years after an early retirement. I had a really interesting discussion with him as he told me he had driven million $+ Prevost that didn't drive as great as our entry level Astoria. Not really know the gent, I wasn't sure how to take his comments until he explained he worked for himself and not the RV dealer(s). That just made me feel better thinking he wasn't trying to justify the sale of the RV to me.

For what ever reason, our 2005 Astoria drives like a dream and is unbelievable to drive. I have had buddies riding with me that have made comments about how relaxed I am and how smooth the rig moves down the road even pulling a 20' VNose trailer with 5 Harley's in it.. I even have one friend that has driven our Astoria 3 times now and this last time he cursed at me. I asked him what was up and he said "your killing me having me drive your bus. It drives so great it makes me want one really bad." LOL.. He keeps asking when I'm going to upgrade so I can sell this one to him..

Anyway, I wish I knew what is causing mine to drive so well and smooth and hope you find the driving comfort level your looking for.

Safe travels.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #665

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Not trying to confuse the conversation.... but we replaced our G670 255/70 22.5 with Toyo 255/70 22.5 last year. The ride improved out of the tire store and now with 8K miles on these Toyo tires we are happy. It's been a smoother ride. Fuel mileage seems the same, just a better ride.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #666

I don't think anyone is confusing the conversation. I think the common thread is that the Goodyear's don't ride as well as other brands. I'm a Michelin guy. I have put over 2 million light truck miles on various Michelins and never a tire failure. So, I stay with them on the coach. A side note I always change tires prior to their 5th birthday. I'm not saying that's for everyone it's just what I do.

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #667

I change my tires between 5 & 6th birthday and no later than the 6th. I try to do it before the 5th, but always seem to have something get in the way like travel.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:34 AM   #668

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought a 2006 Astoria 3595 with 20500 miles. Am changing a few things but love it so far. I am retired Air Force and live in So. California by Riverside. I will be checking in from time to time.
Kenh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #669

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Enjoy your new baby! A 2006 with that low mileage will serve you well. And the best part is that it was built by Damon. Not like my 2010 which by that time Thor had started to mess with them.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 PM   #670

Damon Owners Club
I also have a 06 3595 and really like it.
Alltooledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #671

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Just completed a 6K mile summer trip

Our 2008 Astoria 3786 PE just passed it 50K mile point on 9/14/15! New Jeep Cherokee was a great toad. Completed a 6K mile trip.

We left CA and drove to Las Vegas, then north on I15 to I70. I70 over the rocky mountains was a cake walk! Had cruise control on and it when over the 11K foot pass at 45 MPH, MPG did drop to 5 for a while but when we pulled into Denver it showed an average of 8.8! (Computed at the next fill up was 8.4 MPG- I compute about .4 MPG lower that the engine data says.)

We traveled to Saint Lois to visit a 99 year young uncle then up to Elkhart to see the RV hall of fame and get some Amish food. Hall of Fame was OK, food was just so-so.

We headed north to Michigan and did the Circle tour around the lake and a quick trip to Superior and Huron (just to say we touched all three lakes).

Westward on I 90. Theodore Roosevelt NP was a treasure. Fell in love with Coeur D' Alene Idaho! (next trip the Hiawatha Bike Trail!). Drove down to the junction of the Snake and Columbia River, then to Portland and back to hot and dry CA. 6K miles and not one problem.... except a bolt broke holding the step on....I nearly ended up face down on the ground when stepping out!

Trip MPG 9.57 computed.

Now planning for the next trip.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847 (640x480).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	107089  
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #672

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
That was a great trip Steve. Yes, Coeur D'Alene is a pretty nice town. Took my Grandkids to Silverwood Theme park just north of there two weeks ago. It's an annual ritual. WA 155 from Omak to Nespelem was closed due to forest fires so had to detour around Grand Coulee. 5 days later on the way back it was open. Shouldn't have been. Heavily forested on that road with narrow shoulders and the forest was burned right up to the highway on both sides and still smouldering. Fires crews everywhere. I'm getting about the same mileage as you. Does your coach have the 340hp. Any one travelling in the Pacific N.W. should check for closures due to fires as they are still burning. Rain forecast thank goodness. My Goodyear 670's have been a big disappointment and at 30K have to be replaced soon. Sidewalls are OK but tread is vanishing quickly. Guess it will have to be Michelin's as there is nothing else that size. If anyone has any info on other brands lets hear it.