RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #715

Damon Owners Club
Count me in as #5 Astoria owner. 2009 Astoria Pacific. thirty eight feet long 340 HP Cummins Bought it used a month ago. Having problems with the Lippert Ultra Level system and the QD8000 Onan genset (wont't start, goes click click....)
Thinking of putting a Safety Plus steering stabilizer on. It kind of wanders and that scares my wife. I agree; it's hard to find info on the Damons.

Skip Dent
Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #716

Is there a group of Astoria Owners?

Skip on the generator hold the switch down for a good 30 to 40 seconds. The clicking sound is the fuel pump priming the generator. I think this will get it started. Also, may need to use the battery boost switch if your house batteries are low. Good luck and welcome to the group!

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk43 View Post
Count me in as #5 Astoria owner. 2009 Astoria Pacific. thirty eight feet long 340 HP Cummins Bought it used a month ago. Having problems with the Lippert Ultra Level system and the QD8000 Onan genset (wont't start, goes click click....)
Thinking of putting a Safety Plus steering stabilizer on. It kind of wanders and that scares my wife. I agree; it's hard to find info on the Damons.

Skip Dent
Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
Welcome to being a Damon owner. Safe T Plus website has information on what is needed by RV and Damon is in their list. I'm have Power Gear leveling, but you should be able to search and find info about Lippert.
For the gene, was it ever running? Sounds like your coach batteries might be to low to start it. There should be a switch on your dash by the key ignition switch that will allow chassis batteries to help. Hold the switch down while trying to start.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #718

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Safe T Plus is a firm yes. We put one on in 2010 and it made the last 40,000 miles easy to drive.

Gen are levelers have not been a problem for us.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #719

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Btw, there is a leveler breaker switch that may have tripped. It has a reset in the front gen compartment .... Upper driver side of the compartment. What are the levelers doing?

Our generator is solid, a real work horse as long as maintained per schedule.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Skip on the generator hold the switch down for a good 30 to 40 seconds. The clicking sound is the fuel pump priming the generator. I think this will get it started. Also, may need to use the battery boost switch if your house batteries are low. Good luck and welcome to the group!

2011 Damon Astoria

Welcome aboard! Bear is 100% correct...when its cold outside it will click for a long time...priming fuel pump and I suspect running glow plugs to pre-heat fuel prior to ignition...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #721

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk43 View Post

Skip Dent
Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
Welcome to the group. There's not not many of us but a gold mine of knowledge about these bank busting toys we bought. With the wealth of knowledge out there (me not included) there is nearly always a fix for what's getting you all riled up. Don't forget---- the dumb question is the one you don't ask. Again, welcome aboard.
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #722

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We own a 2006 3595 Astoria. It is in the shop for a bad turbo. Just had the entry door window resealed. I do not have an inverter and want to know the best one to use. My wife has a CPAP and we plan on doing a LOT of traveling. I was thinking about putting it under the bed above the batteries. Any opinions? Thanks for any info.
Kenh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #723

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter / Converter / Charger

Ours is a TrippLite Inverter / Charger came on original 2006 Damon Class A Astoria.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #724

Ours is a Magnum, but I here some electronics do better with a "pure sine wave" inverter, I'm not an expert. If you will search this site for inverters that have been several threads that deal with inverters and types.

2011 Damon Astoria
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #725

Damon Owners Club
3595 inverter location

The 3595 has the transfer switch and converter mounted above the fresh water tank on the passenger side behind the black plastic covers. There are screws hidden in the door gaskets that may have broken heads but the screw portion is still holding the plastic panel. It takes some finegleing to get the panels out and the fresh water fill hose will still be connected but you can just leave it that way as the electrics are behind the upper panel.
That seems like a good location for an inverter. The Pacific Edition of this coach had a factory installed inverter. I don't know where it was mounted. It was a small one maybe intended for running the TV's.

I would be concerned in mounting an inverter that it be clearly labled as being hot when the coach is not plugged in to shore power or running on the gen set. This concern would also hold for co mingleing existing outlets with the inverted power. A 12 volt disconnect switch for the inverter would seem to be a good idea. On my 3595 the 120 outlet that is in the storage area is connected to several other devices. I also found that the chassis ground on the transfer switch box was loose at the frame connection underneath the storage bay duplex outlet box. Not saying they will all be loose but mine was and you will be right there. The storage bay duplex was a push to connect and one of the three grounds had fallen out of its slot. I replaced the whole box with an old work box and a receptical with screwed terminals. Hope this is helpful.

lots of info on Amazon reviews about various inverters and owners experience with them.
Alltooledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunner View Post
Hi,
As you know we would join the Astoria owners group. We have a 2011 40KT which was purchased new last fall. Making a trip to the factory in May for warranty items that need attention. Have been out in MH only once unfortunately for a brief shakedown. Interesting windshield wiper problem on the way home in the rain, drivers side wiper goes to far both ways and actually goes several inches past windshield and about 3 inches past the bottom of windshield. Called Thor and because it is a safety issue were instructed to take it to Frieghtliner for repair before the trip in May to the factory. Since we live near Kansas City there is a Frieghtliner facility close that we have had service done. Barb
Hi, i have a 2011 40kt which we bought new in 2011. I also have had problems with the drivers side blade going right over and off the windshield, in fact it has left a mark on the windshield. I put new blades on and they seem to work better, i also have a problem with water getting in to the basement from somewhere which I am having trouble finding. Even though my wife and I are computer savvy we can't find where to post a thread so if anyone reads this and can help please do.
Raytaylor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #727

Damon Owners Club
Battery assist switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Welcome aboard! Bear is 100% correct...when its cold outside it will click for a long time...priming fuel pump and I suspect running glow plugs to pre-heat fuel prior to ignition...
Where is the battery assist switch? I have one unmarked switch on the dash. Could it be that?

Hawk 43
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #728

Yep...should be on the dash...hold down on it while you are trying to crank the genny...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote