RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #953

Thanks for the response. Will try out concept tomorrow. It's been raining here in palmdale,ca. Will also add a few pictures to show results.
Waterdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdoggie View Post
Thanks for the response. Will try out concept tomorrow. It's been raining here in palmdale,ca. Will also add a few pictures to show results.
Is your wiring resolved?
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #955

Yes. Had a RV guy come by and check out correct wiring connections. How do I post pictures?
Waterdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #956

Hi all. My wife and I are newbies to RVing. We just purchased a 2008 Astoria 3776 with 34k mi last august and are looking forward to many great adventures with it and our three kids.

I actually read all 60 some pages to get me up to speed, whew! Lots of great info. Only major mods are the previous owner switched the house batteries to 12v deep cycle instead of 6v. Not sure what the advantage or trade off is? I also got rid of the simulators for some nice polished Alcoas. Looks sharp
Jzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #957

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Welcome to the fun family adventures of motorhome travel. Picture of the new simulators. We have 6-6V Lifeline AGMs. They work well.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Welcome to the fun family adventures of motorhome travel. Picture of the new simulators. We have 6-6V Lifeline AGMs. They work well.
Thanks much!

The previous owner said he switched to 12v because he was tired of the "off-gassing" mess of the 6v. Glad to hear the AGMs are working well. I see they are a sealed design so maybe they would make a nice upgrade for us in the future.
Jzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #959

Attached pic of Lucy with Alcoa rims.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	235867  
Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #960

I was born in Astoria. Does that count.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #961

When I first read your post I thought 'you were born in an RV?'

Sure, why not.

Oregon or New York?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #962

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
BTW with the Astoria Damon used the 255 R70 22.5 tires. In a year I’ll be up for another new set so I have been thinking of going to the 275R70 22.5. Think they’ll fit and may give me a better loading. As is we are always at the weight limits. Anyone have thought about going up one size on tires?
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #963

7 year Owner of 2008 Damon Astoria - I just went to wake it up from the winter sleep and found chassis batteries dead. After a charge and a good start, the ABS alarm on the driver panel was going off. Doing only what I knew to do, I pulled out the good old manual and flipped to the ABS page and read about this feature. I share this only to say that I recall reading not to change wheels/tire size as the ABS computer is pre-programmed for current tire and size........important to note that I am only a RV enthusiast and lack mechanical and technical ability to provide any advice (thus the reason I read every post to learn from all of you smart guys). I just share that this area is something to look at for you to validate before any change of tire size. But if we can get bigger tire sizes, let me know the way as I have always wanted to up my sizes for improved ride and control, etc - thank you
DBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #964

Thor Owners Club
Be careful in your thinking that a bigger tire will allow you to carry more weight. Remember wheel rim max load. And GAWR (gross axle weight rating). Also spacing gap on your rear dual tires.

Regards,
Ron
55shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #965

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
BTW with the Astoria Damon used the 255 R70 22.5 tires. In a year I’ll be up for another new set so I have been thinking of going to the 275R70 22.5. Think they’ll fit and may give me a better loading. As is we are always at the weight limits. Anyone have thought about going up one size on tires?
Something to think about when mounting a larger tire is wheel well clearance. I would dump the airbags and check clearance in back, then turn the steering wheel both ways to check the front. Also need to calibrate the ecu to maintain correct MPH readings I would think. But yeah, I also noticed the tire size on the Astoria seems smallish compared to other DPs. A larger tire size would be a welcomed improvement for both ride and load ratings.

BTW, we just got back from a 2,900 mi trip to Hilton Head, S.C. and we couldn't be happier about our Astoria purchase. Great road manners, good power in the mountains, and decent fuel economy even at 70mph. Interior floorplan is perfect for our family of five and is very well thought out IMO. Seems to have almost all the bells and whistles of DPs costing much more to boot!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 AM   #966

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Larger tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
Something to think about when mounting a larger tire is wheel well clearance. I would dump the airbags and check clearance in back, then turn the steering wheel both ways to check the front. Also need to calibrate the ecu to maintain correct MPH readings I would think. But yeah, I also noticed the tire size on the Astoria seems smallish compared to other DPs. A larger tire size would be a welcomed improvement for both ride and load ratings.

BTW, we just got back from a 2,900 mi trip to Hilton Head, S.C. and we couldn't be happier about our Astoria purchase. Great road manners, good power in the mountains, and decent fuel economy even at 70mph. Interior floorplan is perfect for our family of five and is very well thought out IMO. Seems to have almost all the bells and whistles of DPs costing much more to boot!
If you do install the larger tire they will be 1.1 inches taller than stock and .8 inch wider. It's an appealing thought as stock looks a bit small. If you do it please post the results as I for one would like to do this if ever my Toyos ever wear out which at the moment seem never!
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote