Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #1051

Slide out seals

We purchased a 2006 Astoria 3595 in July. Have yet to actually use it. After purchasing from a private seller we found a lot of things wrong with it. Currently the slide out seal seems to be leaking. We purchased a new seal but found that the side seals are a different size than the top seal. Anyone know what the correct size is supposed to be?
Cbs1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #1052

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Quick up date...

We replaced our 800Ws of our poorly working solar panels with 1200W of new panels. AM Solar is great. They stand behind their products sold.

Hope your well with all this COVID and Cold temps. We’re still enjoying our full time travel life style in our 2008 Astoria, starting full time year number 5 and year 12+ of owning the motorhome.

We did have a blowout on our right rear outside tire that did a little damage to wheel fairing. We were 6.5 years into the tires and on our way to Texas to have new tires installed when it blow. Handling was not an issue but slow roadside assistance was. We had a new cheap ($350) tire installed. The next day, 140 miles farther along, the inside dually tire blow and another 5 hours to wait on the side of the interstate and another high dollar cheap tire. When we arrived at the Tyler Texas the tire shop, they said if a tire on the dually blows automatically replace both on that side. When the tires blows at highway speed and the total 10K pound load lands on the remaining 5K pound load limit tire, it’s been stressed too much. Makes sense. We’ll now replace our Toyo tires every 5 years instead of 6 ˝ years as planned.

We were happy with the Toyos and we couldn’t get Michelin 255/70R225 tires we opted for Toyos again.

Merry Christmas all and stay safe.

Steve
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:47 AM   #1053

Thor Owners Club
Going full time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
We replaced our 800Ws of our poorly working solar panels with 1200W of new panels. AM Solar is great. They stand behind their products sold.

Hope your well with all this COVID and Cold temps. We’re still enjoying our full time travel life style in our 2008 Astoria, starting full time year number 5 and year 12+ of owning the motorhome.

We did have a blowout on our right rear outside tire that did a little damage to wheel fairing. We were 6.5 years into the tires and on our way to Texas to have new tires installed when it blow. Handling was not an issue but slow roadside assistance was. We had a new cheap ($350) tire installed. The next day, 140 miles farther along, the inside dually tire blow and another 5 hours to wait on the side of the interstate and another high dollar cheap tire. When we arrived at the Tyler Texas the tire shop, they said if a tire on the dually blows automatically replace both on that side. When the tires blows at highway speed and the total 10K pound load lands on the remaining 5K pound load limit tire, it’s been stressed too much. Makes sense. We’ll now replace our Toyo tires every 5 years instead of 6 ˝ years as planned.

We were happy with the Toyos and we couldn’t get Michelin 255/70R225 tires we opted for Toyos again.

Steve
Hallo Steve,

We had two houses and have sold them just now. The new owners will go in the main house on march 1 in 2021. We bought our Damaon astorira 3772 in december 2017, and are now planning to live in it full time in march 2021.
It was a lot of work to import our Astoria to Holland, europe. We are glad we did, because it is a beautifull coach.
Of course also in Holland we have Covid. We are living in the north and there it is not so much. We must keep our social distance and wear mouthmasks in shops, but it is doable.
We wish you and your fellow Americans
all the best, good health and save travels.
Karel and Dana Jonkers,
Holland,Europe.
Carel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #1054

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post

Steve
Good to see you and the Astoria are still going strong Steve!

Hot tip- make sure the tire dealer finds tires with the latest date codes possible. This will get you the maximum life possible. Many dealers that are geared towards big rigs don't pay much attention to date codes because trucks most likely wear out a tire before they age out. Maybe you knew this but thought it good advice to share.

We have our 2008 Astoria in storage now but we are always looking forward to our next trip. Last summer we added Koni shocks, SuperSteer bellcrank, and a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and boy does she handle and drive like a dream now.

Wishing good health and Happy Holidays to all.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #1055

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff and Kelly, in 2009 we had Hendersons install the bellcrank and Safe T Plus what pleasure to drive. In 2017 we had the Koni shocks, great ride.

Now on my shopping list is 300AH of LiFeSO4 batteries. Looking at the Reion ones, they’ll fit in the battery slideout tray and reduce my weight by 300 pounds on that side.

We did pick up fog in some of the windows and had the Fog Dr of Searcy AR work their magic on them. They’re as clear as new. We’re hoping for another 20 years out of our Astoria 3786.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #1056

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carel View Post
Hallo Steve,

We had two houses and have sold them just now. The new owners will go in the main house on march 1 in 2021. We bought our Damaon astorira 3772 in december 2017, and are now planning to live in it full time in march 2021.
It was a lot of work to import our Astoria to Holland, europe. We are glad we did, because it is a beautifull coach.
Of course also in Holland we have Covid. We are living in the north and there it is not so much. We must keep our social distance and wear mouthmasks in shops, but it is doable.
We wish you and your fellow Americans
all the best, good health and save travels.
Karel and Dana Jonkers,
Holland,Europe.

Karel, BTW, we’re in our fifth year of full time travel in the motorhome. (Own this motorhome since new in 2008.) We’ve found we like to stay about a month or two in one location and taste the flavors of the area. I think we feel 20 years younger because of the travel! Enjoy your Astoria. Ours been in every US state except Hawaii. Also 7 Canadian Provinces/Territories.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
Raymond-
I wouldn't level the coach with the air bags inflated, even with the engine off they would continue to try to maintain ride height and possibly overstretch and/or overinflate. Your jacks could over extend also. Unless you could rig up some sort of pump it seems the "hose dance" is your only option. Sewer hoses and parts are cheap and plentiful. Our Astoria is the same way. Just don't forget to manually empty the hose (hose dance) or you will get a big mess when you dis-connect it like I did on our last trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Ray ,

If you inflate the bags prior to final dump at the campsite it will help tremendously.
Thanks Jzack and dsbear for your replies to my question in August. My apologies for taking so long to get back on here. Had a bout with COVID and then life got in the way...

I've checked and there actually is space to install a second hose port/hatch? on the front-facing side of the tub under the water bay. That would provide a few extra inches and likely fix the problem most of the time.

For the time being, whenever we manage to hit the road again, we'll probably go with the suggestion to inflate the air bags prior to the final dump.

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #1058

Use/Store Relay Location

Here's another 2011 Astoria 40KT question:

Can anybody tell me where the House Battery Use/Store Relay is located? I called Thor and was told that they don't have any diagrams available because of the coach's age.

There's a disconnect for the chassis batteries in the battery compartment, a Use/Store switch on the entry door panel, and a battery isolator relay under the driver seat in the front compartment to connect the battery banks for charging and a 'jump-start'.

There's a small relay under a plastic cover below the inverter in the rear passenger-side compartment that wouldn't be large enough and a larger plastic cover at the top of that compartment that I haven't opened because it is mostly covered with spray foam sealant and I didn't have any to re-seal it with. Is that where the House disconnect relay is located?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm working up a plan to upgrade to lithium batteries, a pure-sine-wave inverter, and solar; all for boondocking.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #1059

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wet bay hatch re-location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond963 View Post
Thanks Jzack and dsbear for your replies to my question in August. My apologies for taking so long to get back on here. Had a bout with COVID and then life got in the way...

I've checked and there actually is space to install a second hose port/hatch? on the front-facing side of the tub under the water bay. That would provide a few extra inches and likely fix the problem most of the time.

For the time being, whenever we manage to hit the road again, we'll probably go with the suggestion to inflate the air bags prior to the final dump.

Thanks again!
Here is a pic of my solution for low clearance issues in the wet bay. It is based on your suggestion of adding a second hatch in the side of the wet bay tub. Haven't tried it yet, but I think it should work very well. Thank you for the idea! The hatch cover is a 4" version from e-trailer that fit perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV wetbay mod.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	332926  
Old 09-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #1060

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2007 Damon Astoria 3774 5.9 ISB Cummins EGR replacement

Does anyone have idea of hours required to replace EGR?
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #1061

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2007 Damon Astoria 3774 with 105 gallon fuel tank

Has anyone had to have replaced. Freightliner p/n 03-33069-000 out of stock and b/o about 3 months or longer. What is size of tank, square or round? Other manufacturer p/n? Generator does not start with faulty ascending unit. Your help appreciated.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #1062

Hi! I've been trying to find any reviews or comments about the 2012 Thor Astoria 36 MQ. Does anybody care to share any information? Thanks!
Shimano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #1063

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love our Astoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimano17 View Post
Hi! I've been trying to find any reviews or comments about the 2012 Thor Astoria 36 MQ. Does anybody care to share any information? Thanks!
Our 2008 Astoria has been great, but it would be comparing apples to oranges with a 2012 since Damon closed the factory in 2009 and merged with Four Winds to create Thor Motor Coach. Quality since then has been hit or miss.

Here is something out of the Motorhome Comparison Guide for the 2012 Astoria -

Class- P=Premium, AA=Above Average, E=Economy

Ratings- C=Construction, CS=Customer Satisfaction, DR=Dealer Rating, RV=Resale Value
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV ratings.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	344195  
Old 09-28-2021, 05:43 AM   #1064

Thor Owners Club
I own a 2012 36MQ that I purchased new. Can I help you with any specific questions. In general the coach has been good with the normal quality issues.
55shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote