Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #99

Just returned from 29 day 5,040 mile journey through the inter-mountain west. Great trip! We did discover a few issues, one of the trim blocks over the bed fell off, bathroom fan shorted out, a few other trim pieces came loose. Also, had some slight body damage from being detoured onto a dirt road in AZ. it was more like a 4 wheeler course. Lesson learned never trust the sheriff just wait for the accident to clear even if it is several hours. I questioned him before taking the detour and was assured it was fine. I haven't calculated final fuel mileage yet but suspect that it will be close to 9 mpg through the mountains towing a half ton Chevy crew cab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #100

MPGs 8.3.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #101

Wow...you put some miles on Thor! Thats decent fuel mileage too...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #102

No posts from anyone lately. I hope everyone is enjoying their rig with lots of safe trouble free miles this summer.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #103

Damon Owners Club
Need advice regarding replacing norcold 1210im with residential fridge. This must be possible, has anyone performed this task ? If so what did you replace it with? Did you change inverter to PSW?

Took "money pit" to Yellowstone from Kansas City area and averaged 9.1 mpg. Spent a night at Freightliner in Casper, WY , had a problem with the damn DEF system......ended up with new DEF pump. Very fortunate Freightliner guys were really great, they were able to locate a pump and had us back on the road by 1:30 the next day.

BTW the fridge works I prefer a residential one any help in solving this is appreciated. Barb
bbunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #104

We took her in to CW to have the DW side slide topper installed...missing when we purchased...the techs got up there and found a few spots on the roof they did not like...put some sealer on them and sent pics to Thor...also noticed a couple of soft spots on the roof...Thor is replacing the entire roof under warranty...will take about a week when all is said and done...
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #105

Just got back from trip to the Smokies stayed in sevierville nice campground River Plantation, coach ran fine avg. 10.5 pulling Wrangler , that was by dash computer didnt calculate it myself yet. On the way back we brought the grandson, and stopped at Stone MT. Campground in Atlanta nice little park and campground, then home to fla. Happy travels.
lobeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #106

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Astoria Owners

Yeah! Let's grow this Astoria owners group. We all know these big beautiful machines develop minds of their own sometimes and it's helpful to have the collective knowledge base of all those experiences. Thor is the largest RV builder on the planet and they do make some nice units. I'm happy with my 2011 3772 generally speaking but quantity rather than quality does seem to be job 1.
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #107

Great idea, you do have a point. I have noticed on some of my storage doors its like rust stains from the track above them, also my door to the water connections is starting to get corrosion around the inside door hinges and lock area anyone else have this problem or is this normal, my unit is a 2912 Astoria 36mq
lobeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #108

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Anyone what to talk MPG.... we just completed our third long trip in our 2008 Astoria 3786. We travelled 6793 miles and used 702.85 gallons of fuel. That is a 9.66MPG!. We put and additional 33.1 hours of the generator, a mix of dry camping and running the AC while driving in hotter areas. I think that is >10 MPG. Toad is a Toyota Avalon. Kept the cruise control set at 55MPH. I have a photo of the the MPG during one segment of the trip, 166miles with a MPG of 12.8MPG! Going east with a strong wind at our back.

Only issue during the 70 days on the road was that at a few sites the jacks made cracking sounds from time to time. I don't know if it was the ground we were on or an issue with the jacks.

Great trip, wonderful RV. We've had our Astoria for 5 years, in a few days. Over 40K miles driven. We have been looking at Tiffins and other models but haven't really seen anything better for the price.

We plan on removing the driver's side sofa and putting in a desk and counter. Any suggestions of good designs and shops. We also plan on up grading the front bucket seats to have a foot rest for the PAX and and adjustable arms.

Steve of Gilroy
What a beautiful country we have to tour.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #109

Thats pretty darn good Steve! We just ran 1100 miles out to Gatlinburg TN and back...got 11.4 coming home...hard to believe but true...

On a different note, my daughter took our coach to its knees with a blow dryer! Tripped the GFI by the bathroom/shower sink and it would not reset. Called Thor and discussed situation and the tech said it was most likely the GFI... I thought about it all night and started looking at the magnum energy 2000 manual...long story short...there are 3 circuit breakers on the bottom of it...hard to see unless you know they are there...the input was tripped...pushed it back in and problem solved...banging my head now about it! All roads...electrical that is run through the inverter/converter...the only thing that would run was the HVAC...everything would run...if I turned the inverter on...but that was eating my house batts...

Another lesson learned!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #110

Jim and Steve,

Great fuel milage, I think my foot is too heavy to ever get numbers like that. :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #111

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Astoria Owners

I'm in but don't have the time to be numero uno. Although my coach is a 2011 it is the last of the old design. Would be glad to assist with whatever a leader would like to do. Pathetic I know but I am also handicapped.
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #112

Damon Owners Club
Jim, sorry to hear about the roof problems but it is good Thor is replacing it. We are headed back to Thor in September to get the shower leak resolved. The shower was not assembled correctly in my opinion so it will be interesting to see if they remove it and start over. We also still have the passenger side 2 front bays with leaks so they will be working on those again.
Just read about your terrific mileage on your recent trip, wow, hope ours creeps up over time. Overall we are very pleased with the Astoria and it is just the usual working out the bugs. Oh, we are also seriously considering the wireless auto gen start, anyone have experience with the Onan EC-30W? Since we have a small poodle (Homer) and his buddy Dickens (cat) we are concerned about leaving them in hot weather without a auto gen start.

Still working on fridge replacement but getting closer to a solution. Will let everyone know what happens on that front.
bbunner is offline   Reply With Quote